Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:40:21 AM
714524 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  deleted scenes « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: deleted scenes  (Read 1362 times)
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« on: June 17, 2004, 11:39:50 AM »

recently i went a dvd hunt and got myself dvds ive been meaning to get for awhile. ive noticed something about the "extras" on these dvds specifically the deleted scenes. i enjoy all the extras on my dvds and i watch them all but deleted scenes have been annoying me lately. the reason is that their not intergrated into the movie while watching it. what i mean is that  its either on a different disk or separate from the movie.

out of all the movies i bought "Aliens" was the only movie that clearly identified the deleted scenes and actually had them in the movie. a example of the opposite is when i brought "underworld" which clamied it had 25 extra mins of footage which wasnt ID ( what i mean by ID is a little marker that pops up IDing that this is a deleted scene) i think really was a lie cause i saw it the movies and didnt see anything new.(thats why it should be IDed so i could know). "last samurai" is a movie that has the deleted scenes on a separate disk.

so my question or 2 to everyone do you feel annyoed by deleted scenes that are not in the intergrated into the movie and  why have them speartated does it take that much time and money and efforted to put them in thier. thanks for listening to my ramblings.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

raj

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 11:54:34 AM »

Yes that does bother me.  Why can't they just make it so you can choose either the theater version or the "director's cut" version.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 12:12:06 PM »

It depends.  I generally prefer the "Director's Cut."  However, deleted scenes do not necessarily equate to a "Director's Cut."  (The director might be the one who deleted them in the first place).  Some movies are better WITHOUT the deleted scenes, so I'm glad they are not integrated into the movie.  For instance, many of the Austin Powers deleted scenes are terrible.  Also, I would not want an icon popping up on my screen to identify deleted scenes.  That would ruin the movie for me.

As for UNDERWORLD, I haven't seen the movie yet.  But one of the salesmen at Best Buy told me that the additional scenes in the DVD make a HUGE difference in the movie.  He said that the extra scenes help the movie to make more sense.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 12:26:48 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> As for UNDERWORLD, I haven't seen the movie yet.  But one of
> the salesmen at Best Buy told me that the additional scenes in
> the DVD make a HUGE difference in the movie.  He said that the
> extra scenes help the movie to make more sense

well i dont know burgo i saw it in the movies and i understood it and i cant tell if thier any new footage cause thier no way to turn on or off the deleted scenes like i have to take their word for it thats in their. ive seen the movie when it first came out so maybe i dont remember but thats why i need something to tell me its deleted scenes are their.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Yaddo42
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 06:24:52 PM »

When I see "Deleted Scenes" listed on a DVD case, I figure it means scenes cut from the final film that was released, and included separately usually in the extras sections. When I see "Director's Cut" "Expanded Edition", "Restored Footage", "Re-edited" and similar terms listed on a DVD case I figure the film any extra footage or deleted scenes are reintegrated back into the film itself. So I don't see the problem here.

Although I do agree seeing the cut scenes out of context can be irritating, that's why I like what is done on some discs, like "From Hell" where the ending of the previous scene and the beginning of the next scene bookend the segments that were cut to give the viewer a better idea where the scene fit in the movie.

Besides many deleted scenes don't add that much to a film and often the commentaries explain why scenes were cut (for time, effects didn't work right or look right, changed the tone of the story or a character's personality, didn't make sense when included in the film, gave away plot details too soon, etc). Including a separate full version of most films (usually on a separate disc or on the opposite side of the same disc) seems expensive and unnecessary. I'm surprised that's there's as much of a market for those "expanded, unrated" separate versions of so many recent cheesy comedies like "Eurotrip" and "My Boss's Daughter", but that's just me.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 07:17:28 AM »

I hate the branching thing to get to the deleted parts. They did this with the first XMen DVD, you get to a scene where there was a cut and you can branch over  and see the deleted bits. I didn't work and skipped ahead in the movie.

If it enhances the film,  like the T2 directors cut I like it . But like the extended fight scene in Brotherhood of  the Wolf , it enhanced the movie not being put back into it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 08:39:09 AM »

The deleted scene point is a tricky one.  Sometimes it's not included/integrated simply because it isn't completed yet [eg. a special effect or sounds are missing] and that would just be annoying.  Another reason is probably because the honcho's in charge are probably worried whether the deleted scenes were worth it or not.  If they have it listen to the DVD commentaries for the deleted scenes.  I remember on the Pulp Fiction DVD, there are some bits which were trimmed or cut and Tarantino said it was mainly to cut to keep the flow, and i tend to agree with him:

Sure, some deleted scenes are good, but in fact most DVD deleted scenes don't make the film much better, and some add completely different storylines [Eg. Bulletproof Monk]

I prefer keeping them seperate; if you've watched the movie already you shouldn't be watching them out of context, since you know what has happened already.
raj

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 03:56:54 PM »

What I don't want in a deleted scene being within the movie is if it isn't complete, or just doesn't work.  That's why generally I'd go for a director's cut, because then the movie is more of his vision, rather than being cut down by the studio for time or rating or whatever.

Funny thing though, is that I prefer the orginial Star Wars trio to the new "director's cut" versions.  It's about the only time that has happened.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  deleted scenes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.