Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:16:59 PM
714491 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bill Paxton « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bill Paxton  (Read 2495 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 16, 2004, 09:44:58 AM »

Happened to catch part of Aliens on TV last night. This movie has to be right up there with They Live, in terms of sheer quotability. It has some of the best lines, and most can be attributed to Bill Paxton. One of my all-time favourites is "stop yer grinnin' and drop yer linen."

It occurred to me that Paxton, for much of his career, basically played the same character in every movie. Hudson is basically an older sci-fi version of Chet from Weird Science. Through the 80s and early 90s, I can recall Paxton playing one louthmouth jackass after another, and all of them quite entertaining. One notable flick was Brain Damage, which starred both Bill Paxton and Bill Pullman (like the two Coreys, only better), and would be good viewing for people who tend to mix them up. Anyway, I don't recall seeing Paxton do anything really different until the mid 90s, with movies like Twister and Apollo 13.

What other actors fall into this category?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 09:58:24 AM »

* Molly Ringwald - still hasn't been able to recover from the "Brat Pack" years.
* Charles Bronson - other than a few roles early in his career, he basically played the same no-nonsense ass-kicker in almost every movie.
* Rodney Dangerfield - hasn't been in many movies, but basically plays "himself" every time.
* Jackie Chan - always seems to play the loveable, funny guy who knows martial arts.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 10:03:39 AM »

Hmmm, maybe if everybody just picked a favourite, and gave a bit more of an analysis. No offense, but my intention was more to start a discussion than compile a list.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 01:07:08 PM »

Steven Segal, and no, he is not my favourite, and if someday it gets to be then it means that im having a horrible  and Unstoppable brain desease, its simple, he  its not able to have some facial expressiveness, at least, its seems to be that he its too lazy to try something different, like some dramatic or  comedy ( well, at least for me he quite comic), anyway, i cant imagine him doing something like that. then he has to play always the same role, again and again, anyway, can we call him "actor"???
anyway, i have to admit that i had a crush on bill patxon when i saw him in "vertical limit"

Post Edited (06-16-04 14:30)

pauli
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 03:36:57 PM »

I've always been a fan of Paxton's work.

I liked him best in True Lies as the sleazy car salesman.
He was a riot in that one!

Nowadays he seems to be behind the camera in the director's chair.
He helmed the kickass film "Frailty" and I expect more good films to come from him.

Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 05:08:47 PM »

maria paula wrote:

> anyway, i have to admit that i had a crush on bill patxon when
> i saw him in "vertical limit"

Whoah, he was such a deranged psycho in that movie.... do you just love to fall for those evil villains, if so, I hope you never fall for Mugatu from Zoolander.

Do not forget Paxton's role in Predator 2... WHOO!

Other actors who are ALWAYS the same....

Harrison Ford as Indaina Solo
Hugh Grant as that dashingly transforming ass hole to nice guy
Woody Allen as.... himself...

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 05:29:27 PM »

I really liked Paxton in The Terminator. That spiky hair was a nice look for him.

Personally  if I were Hicks or Ripley in Aliens I would have killed his ass to shut him up. Now he's playing the Dad in Thunderbirds.

I would have to name  non-actor Chuck Norris as someone who is the same guy in everything he does.  He made some half  way decent stuff back in the 80's, Code of Silence, Silent Rage, and Delta Force come to mind.  My problem with him is that he made some  decent stuff and then he would do some crap like Invasion America (pee- ew!). He always did best in films where he has very little dialogue.

Chuck might not be much of an actor, but he is one of few action stars that could really kick your ass.  I'm  glad he started waxing his back. See him in Way of the Dragon and you'll know what I'm saying . I thought  he had some little wings growing back there!

I have to mention that I also really liked Lone Wolf  McQuade, the forerunner of his Walker character.  Popeye had his spinach, in this one Lone Wolf had that supercharged beer.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 01:23:17 PM »

yes i usually do, i do have the feeling that villians are much  more atractive and when the worse they are the more i like them.anyway , what can u expect from somebody that thinks that steve buscemi its a very sexy man, i know it, i dont have a very good taste with men :).

pauli
Yaddo42
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 07:15:53 PM »

When he was younger Harrison Ford played a broader range of types but since he became THE big movie star of the times he seems to have found this monotone voice and tired weary persona he likes (without the wisecracking tone he brought to Han Solo and Indiana Jones and other roles) and stuck with it. Unless he has to shout like during an action scene. Jack Ryan and his characters in "The Devil's Own", "Six Days, Seven Nights", and "Hollywood Homicide" could practically be the same guy. It's like he's still playing Rick Deckard from "Blade Runner" for the past ten years.

The thing is that if you look further back many of the legends of film making, the big stars of the "Golden Age", basically played one type their whole career or most of it.

Gary Cooper - stoic, noble, man of few words who seemed indifferent to views different from his own. Just wooden as hell with the way he said dialogue. Every time I try to watch "The Court Martial of Billy Mitchell" he gets upstaged by Ralph Bellamy of all people. Rod Steiger I can understand, but Ralph Bellamy? When he did try to do an accent in "Sergeant York" he managed to not sound at all like a Southerner and not like the stereotyped noble Southern yokels in the film. I'm still shocked he won an Oscar for such tripe.

Clark Gable - Suave wisecracker with smirky charm, and lots of it. I saw Don Rickles on a talk show talking about working with Gable on "Run Silent, Run Deep". He said that Gable would deliver a line while filming in that style we all know from Gable's films. The director would call cut, people would got to lunch, and Gable would chitchat with people the same way. He was the same guy, according to Rickles, both Gable and Burt Lancaster weren't playing roles in that film, they were being themselves and just saying whatever lines they were handed.
Susan
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 10:19:43 PM »

Strangely no matter what i see bill paxton in, he's always chet.
"how about a nice greasy pork sandwhich served in a dirty ashtray...."

But seriously, i always saw kevin costner as the same guy in every film. I mean he generally looks the same, talks the same, IS the same...even if the character is totally differerent from his other roles. Ok i know that isn't what you're looking for.

Then there's Christian slater....

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bill Paxton « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.