Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:41:15 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Am I the only one who doesn't want humor in his horror? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Am I the only one who doesn't want humor in his horror?  (Read 8430 times)
Hugomarink
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2004, 12:40:56 PM »

I'm totally with you. Two popular movies that simply didn't work for me are "Army of Darkness" and "Dead Alive." I liked "Evil Dead 2" even though it was more campy than the first one. But the humor in ED2 was still pretty sick whereas "Army of Darkness" and "Dead Alive" are just absurd. You might as well be watching "The Three Stooges." In my book, when it comes to horror, dark and disturbing is always better.
Max Gardner
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2004, 11:00:05 PM »

Humor has its place in horror, but it should know its limits as well.  I enjoy witty horror films such as Dog Soldiers, Evil Dead 2 and most of Peter Jackson's early work.  Still, if I'm in the mood for something genuinely creepy and disturbing, the last thing I need is some idiotic one-liner dropped in exactly the wrong place.
Kory
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2004, 11:13:39 PM »

I love humor/horror movies like ED2 and Army of Darkness, but when I'm in the mood for sheer creepiness I usually watch Japanese movies.  My favorite is "Ringu"- WAY WAY WAY better than the Americanized version "The Ring".  Another decent one is "The Eye" (also Japanese).   I find that foreign horror movies don't try to incorporate humor and love stories as much as American flicks do.
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2004, 11:47:30 PM »

i have to agree with kory. i go to the japanese horror when i need a serious scare. also kory try the JU-ON series for some scares. i just bought from ebay its really good.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

lester
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2004, 03:53:05 PM »

PANCAKES PANCAKES PANCAKES
Max Gardner
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2004, 04:41:24 PM »

I was seriously disappointed in The Eye, because we all saw it five years ago when it was called The Sixth Sense.  The Pang Bros. borrow whole-cloth from Shyamalan - sometimes line for line.  That is, until we shift gears about an hour into the film and it becomes a direct rip-off of The Ring.  And to wrap it all up, we have a ten-minute finale lifted straight from The Mothman Prophecies.  I actually found it impossible to view The Eye as its own film; it's like watching bits and pieces of three or four other, better movies stitched together as awkwardly as possible.
Kory
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2004, 01:05:19 PM »

Rich Andrini-

Thanks- I'll have to check those out!

Max Gardner-

I agree that "The Eye" isn't the best one I've seen, but I found it to be better than all those american flicks put together.  Ours seem so cookie cutter- the best example being "Ringu" (the original) vs "The RIng" (american remake).
TheEvilDoctor
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2004, 04:49:34 PM »

1st of all: I wouldn't call AoD and Braindead/Dead Alive horror movies.
2nd: I like humor in horror movies most of the time. But sometimes scary movies are nice too. You've probably seen them already but it can't get any darker and more mysantrophic as the first 2 Hellraisers. Sheer terror, suffering without a drop of relief.

Edit: Wow sorry guys didn't notice the date ;) I'm digging up old topics here excuse me

Post Edited (07-03-04 16:50)

Muahahahaha
peter johnson
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2004, 07:50:56 PM »

The Innocents (1962), with Deborah Kerr.  Nary a giggle or comic relief that I can recall in that.
peter johnson
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2004, 08:05:36 PM »

The one thing I don't like about "The Bride of Frankenstein" is Una O'Connor's comic relief character. She really seemed out of place in the movie. It should have been serious start to finish.

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2004, 09:10:22 PM »

Everybody calls "Bride of Frankenstein" a masterpiece for its humor, but I hate it for that very reason. The humor just didn't mesh well with the horror in that movie.
On the other hand, I think "Evil Dead" and "Evil Dead 2" are terrific because of their comic aspects (I think "Army of Darkness" entered the boundry of straight comedy film), and those two early Roger Corman movies, "Bucket of Blood" and "Little Shop of Horrors," are also great for it.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Am I the only one who doesn't want humor in his horror? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.