Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:41:13 AM
714401 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What was your first...? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What was your first...?  (Read 7152 times)
loyal1
« on: July 21, 2004, 05:45:37 PM »

I had a conversation the other day with a few friends and we started to talk about some of the old horror or sci fi flicks we saw as a kid and will never forget.  My first "horror" movie was Poltergeist, and it made me want to become a parapsychologist at the age of 7...didn't do much for my social life..haha!  Another that really affected me and I had nightmares over was The Shining (around the same age).

What was your first?
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »

Probably my first  (don't quite remember) was Ben.  Saw that in a double bill with Krakatoa at a drive-in in '71 or thereabouts.  May have been a triple bill because I remember also seeing Oliver around the same time.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 07:03:34 PM »

my first was that girl nicole in the back seat........................ wait were talking about movies. (this joke had to be done sorry). and raj your first was ben? hehehe.(iam sorry but  i was on a role:)

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Kory
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 07:14:35 PM »

My first one was Poltergeist as well... but I was only 4, so it scared the #$&@ out of me.   I slept with my light on for, like, 3 years after that.

I saw it again recently and wondered how a movie that cheezy could have freaked me out so badly.
loyal1
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 07:18:16 PM »

Haha...I remeber not going near a tree at night for some time, and was freaked out by the guy tearing off his face...totally cheezy stuff.  But giveyourself credit, you were only 4!! :)
peter johnson
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 07:22:58 PM »

"It:  The Terror From Beyond Space" -- later remade by Ridley Scott as "Alien" --
I saw it one Saturday afternoon with my Dad on our old black-and-white.  For some reason the picture was coming in particularly well that day -- must've been a storm coming.  I was probably 6 or 7.  Even though it was broad daylight it scared me to death.  
I'll never forget the "It" tearing through the steel doors of the spaceship as if it was paper (because it was . . . well, paper . . .).
peter johnson/denny crane
Kory
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 07:51:22 PM »

Oh man- that scene was the worst for me!   I guess it is understandable considering my age, but you know how it is.  Nobody wants to be the woos.
Susan
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 08:01:09 PM »

The first horror movie i can remember watching was ZAAT.  I was probably 3 or 4, it was on late nite tv. Thankfully people here directed me to that movie, i always remembered certain scenes but couldn't recollect the movie title.

My first official SCARY horror movie was "Poltergeist", then "Creepshow" which i was 8 or so.  Before that my only exposure to horror was whatever came on tv. I had seen hitchcock films like "the Birds" as we owned them but never deemed them gore horror..they were classic horrors.

We rented movies, there was the occasional hand covering my eyes by my mother who was more horrified to see it than me. Apparently "An American Werewolf in London"  was deemed too sexual after he met up with the nurse and it was turned off. (apparently they thought sex would lead to my ruination moreso than violence) I remember laying in my bed later that nite listening with my ear to the door as my parents watched, and heard the howl and the gnashing and screaming and swore to all the gods i would see that movie someday..lol  

Apparently my mother realized at age 9 she could'n't stop my passion for horror. I began watching ever horror movie i could get my hands on when we rented movies each weekend. While the other kids were perusing the Disney aisle and grabbing My Electric Grandmother, i've got "the Texas Chainsaw massacre" in my hands. I guess she figured it was a phase I'd get over. She'd let me pick out any title i wanted and i devoured the entire horror genre of the video store, leaving no title untouched from I spit on your Grave to Hellraiser to The Bad Seed.

I love her for that.

Post Edited (07-21-04 20:03)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 09:21:58 PM »

I don't really remember my first horror movie because I used to watch a lot of them on TV when I was a kid.  However, I do remember that the first horror movies I saw in a movie theater were HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS and the original WILLARD.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JohnL

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 10:37:15 PM »

I don't remember my first horror movie either. I used to watch them on Saturday afternoons, on the afternoon movies during the week, etc.
loyal1
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2004, 10:56:32 PM »

Do you remember the first horror or Sci Fi that really affected you...blew you away...the first one that made you a fan and want more?  that is what I truly meant by the question.  The shinning affected me deeply...I had nightmares of Jack Nicholson for some time after that...and the twins "Come and play with us Leila (my real name :0)

Oddly enough 2001: A Space Oddesy was the first Sci Fi I remember...yet I only remember being entranced by it, but not really understanding it.  My mom thought it was weird I could sit through it so young, but then she made fun of me for being a Doctor Who fan at a young age...lol

OH, speaking of robot/computer villians...does anyone remember a the name of the movie where the house takes over???  I remember the computer making the kitchen so hot that an egg fried on the counter...only remember bits and pieces really...but would love to check it out again.
JohnL

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2004, 11:24:23 PM »

>OH, speaking of robot/computer villians...does anyone remember a the name of
>the movie where the house takes over??? I remember the computer making the
>kitchen so hot that an egg fried on the counter...only remember bits and pieces
>really...but would love to check it out again.

That would be Demon Seed.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 07:30:36 AM »

I can't remember a specific one but it would have been on Chiller Theater on Saturday afternoon when I was a kid. I was probably hiding behind the couch. I do remember the original The Thing scaring the hell out of me.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Bheliom
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 08:23:05 AM »

My first was "Evil Dead" followed directly (same night) by "Man-Eater" :)

"From the moon, come silver ghosts, spectres of the blood.
From my spirit comes the darkness.
From the void, the crimson fortress rises."
raj

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 01:03:53 PM »

Ba-da bing.  And I wasn't even seven yet. and my whole family was there.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What was your first...? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.