Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:16:05 AM
714517 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I know that building « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I know that building  (Read 2025 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 19, 2004, 07:29:35 AM »

Just saw the trailer for the upcoming Resident Evil movie, and now I really want to see it. Not because I'm interested in the movie so much, but because of an unusual highrise building that seems to figure prominently - two curved towers wrapped around a saucer-shaped structure. Very futuristic looking indeed, except that it was built around 30 years ago, give or take.

It's Toronto city hall.

This is not the first time this distinctive building has shown up in entertainment. In the ST:TNG episode with the Iconians, their transportation device opens portals to locations throughout the galaxy, apparently including Toronto.

Checking into this movie's official site, it appears City Hall is passing for a bioweapons laboratory. It actually works pretty well. Just funny to think that the sinister happenings under that dome (the council chamber) are, in reality, pretty boring, and the only monsters there are politicians and bureaucrats.

Anybody else see this happen to a building they know? That would be other than a really famous building, of course.

Post Edited (07-19-04 10:01)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 08:57:07 AM »

There seems to be a lot of interesting architecture in Canada.  I am always pointing out landmarks in Vancouver filmed tv shows. That interesting mine building that is sort of incorporated into the mountain is where the guys in cahoots with the aliens on the X -Files had all those file cabinets with abductee files. That has shown up in several shows.

I also recognize a lot of streams and such that get used over and over again.

Dallas used to be used for a lot  productions,  particularly reunion tower and the city hall. The end of Logan's Run was shot at a fountain in Dallas.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 11:12:22 AM »

My grandparents used to live in Wilmington, NC, where a lot of movies are shot, so I occasionally see streets I recognize. It's kind of unnerving to see that the place where I visited my grandparents when I was little is Lumberville in Blue Velvet...

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 01:11:37 PM »

trek_geezer wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of interesting architecture in Canada.

Still, it's kind of a rare treat for me to see a building I've actually visited. One of the better examples was the use of Calgary as Metropolis in Superman III, with the Petro Canada Tower serving as Robert Vaughn's headquarters. It was also a surprise to finally see Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter and recognize several Ottawa locations I'd visited not long before.

Then there is the occasional careless appearance of the CN Tower. I believe it briefly moved to Los Angeles toward the end of Police Academy 3. I also recall seeing it show up, big as life, in a movie set in the southern states.

---------------------
Pus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 12:46:00 PM »

I live near the Pittsburgh area and the wife and I have been to the Monroeville Mall numerous times. I'm sure most of you know that this is the mall used in the original "Dawn of the Dead". She goes shopping, I poke around. Found the hallway where they had the hidden entrance and also had her take a pic of me sitting in front of J.C. Penneys. There's been alot of changes since 1974, but it's still creepy as hell.  I've also been to the Evans City Cemetary where the first scene of "Night of the Living Dead" '68 was shot. I couldn't find any of the tombstones from the movie, but did see the old cinderblock buiding you can see in the graveyard sceen. It's my understanding the farmhouse was torn down years ago. Damn.

Cheese is good food. So are the movies. Not food that is, just cheese.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 12:52:18 PM »

That is so cool. If I'm ever down that way, I'm going to have to find that mall.

---------------------
raj

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 01:00:14 PM »

They filmed part of a movie at my college, mostly just for interior shots (my dorm used to be a fairly nice old mansion).  There was a wrap picture for the movie that was in Life magazine, it included part of my window -- it would have been the whole window, but I had a Grateful Dead Steal Your Face sticker in the window, for some reason that got cropped out.

I've got no idea anymore about the movie, it may have come out in 1986-88.  Is there any way to search for movies based upon shooting location?
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 02:28:34 PM »

Yes, raj. If you go to the power search forum at www.imdb.com, you can then do a search based upon shooting location.

Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 07:07:32 AM »

as far as reused locations:

I have seen the same spot with a tunnel to the left of the screen with a gate in front of it, and a station of some sort right next to it in 3 movies.

I first saw this in "V" - it was the headquarters of the resistance.

Next was in "The Running Man" - when Ben Richards got on a truck and left his 2 friends behind, the truck headed into the tunnel.

The most recent was "The Replacement Killers" - when Chow-Yun Fat and Mira Sorvino found Loc and took his guns & truck from him, the truck was inside the tunnel.

Why do I know this? I have no idea. But now you'll see it too.

Post Edited (07-25-04 07:08)

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
peter johnson
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 10:36:18 AM »

Good old Bronson Canyon, California.
Monument Valley, Utah.
Between these 2, we're talking maybe over 400 films -- don't forget that B Westerns used to be churned out 10-30 per month from the 1930's through the '50's , and you can see ample examples of both locations throughout.
Bronson Canyon figures more prominently as "other planet" locations in films like "Robot Monster", etc.
peter johnson/denny crane
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 10:57:14 AM »

Bronson Canyon was used a lot in the old Star Trek series too (as well as every tv western of the day).  

I never figured out how they got away with using Monument Valley as west Texas. It has surely been used in a lot of movies.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JohnL

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 10:11:41 PM »

Two buildings that I've seen many times on film;

A long, ranch-like building with a porch stretching all the way across the front and stairs leading up to it in the middle. The first movie that comes to mind is The Shadowmen with Dean Stockwell. It was also in an episode of Buffy.

The other is a semi-futuristic glass building with a sort of entrance tunnel. I believe it was used as the laboratory in Dead Heat, it appeared at the end of the short film 12:01 PM, it's played laboratories, headquarters and even a police station.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I know that building « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.