Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:12:12 PM
714453 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Killer Shrews « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Killer Shrews  (Read 1838 times)
Pus
Dedicated Viewer

« on: July 16, 2004, 09:20:20 PM »

This is one of the best B&W B-movies out there. On a deserted island a mad doctor experiments on animals and makes them gigantic. The F/X are so poor they're excellant. The shrews are Collies wearing really bad fake fur. And the acting is so poor you wish all of the "survivors" left on the island would get eaten by these giant shrews. They escape by putting garbage cans over themselves and duck walk to safety. This one's definately worth a watch.

Cheese is good food. So are the movies. Not food that is, just cheese.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 10:03:18 PM »

was a funny MST3k movie it was.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 10:26:04 PM »

I've never minded MST3K making fun of movies I like, and the MST job on Killer Shrews was really funny.  I agree with Pus, though, I really like this movie on its own.  For all that people make of the sitting in a room talking, I think the pacing is good, and I enjoyed the cute-in-a-weird-way homemade shrew monsters.
Of course, I'm the first in a crowd to jump up and defend Manos:The Hands of Fate, so what do I know?

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Yaddo42
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 06:42:23 AM »

Only seen the non-MST3K version, but it was funny enough. There's just a guilty delight in seeing future second fiddles on TV shows playing it straight when being menaced by dogs draped in shag carpet remnants (that's what they looked like to me). Poor James Best (future Roscoe P. Coltrane) and Ken Curtis (future "Gunsmoke"'s Festus), then again maybe not.

I have to admit the oil drum phalanx/duck walk makes sense in a vague real world sort of way, kind of a drunk redneck version of "MacGuyer"ism even, but it does make exciting film action. Just imagine how much their legs would be cramping from walking like that as far as the movie implied.
Flangepart

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 12:00:01 PM »

Ah, the cheese that refreshes!
A classic MST, and bad flick in its own right.
Aw....poor puppies! Did the bad director make you wear those stinky costumes?
Woof!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 12:30:24 PM »

i love how the people escape by walking underneath fifty gallon drums towards the water. another old movie to check out is SPIDER BABY.

www.310am.com

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

peter johnson
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 03:27:45 PM »

Gawd, but I do love this film!!
It was a Roger Corman release, was it not?
You can see the shrews WAG in some scenes -- the collies were obviously enjoying all the attention.
We've hashed out a lot of the MST3K stuff on this board, so I don't really want to start that up again, but I'm really in the camp of "Let the Film Be Seen On Its Own".  For example, I think EEGAH! by itself as a film, with the visible burlap "rock" peeling off the inside of the drywall "cave", is much funnier on its own than with the Mystery Science treatment.  The damn bots talk over some of the really funny bad dialogue!
Anyway, just about anything Corman had anything to do with is worth seeing many times.  
Ahh!  Wagging shrews . . . . Is there anything they can't do?
peter johnson/denny crane
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 04:10:41 PM »

This movie and  The Giant Gila Monster were produced by Ray Kellog, owner of a chain of drive in theaters in Texas. He saw people making money hand over fist making this schlock and wanted in on it.  

Both movies were made in Texas and I believe Lake Dallas stood in for the ocean in Killer Shrews.

I did a post about this last month because  Animal planet had this special on about the two movies. I hope they will show it again sometime.

Here's the link to that post:   Animal Planet B Movie Monsters

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Dave Munger
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 08:55:36 PM »

Every time I see it, I think about how giant shrews must have seemed like a pretty scary idea on paper, with the high metabolic rates and having to eat their body weight in other animals ever hour or whatever.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 09:14:50 PM »

I bought the Alpha Video DVD of this movie a few months ago.  A true trash classic.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 09:28:06 PM »

Did you buy the 6 Pack "Sci-Fi Chillers" set from Alpha Video Burgomaster? What a great trash set. It includes:
1. The Killer Shrews
2. The Brain That Wouldn't Die
3. Killers From Space
4. The Snow Creature
5. The Phantom Planet
6. Unknown World

All for $24.95 and free postage. <www.oldies.com> has some great deals.

Post Edited (08-03-04 21:28)

Cheese is good food. So are the movies. Not food that is, just cheese.
MonsterX
Dedicated Viewer

Likes to wear mittens.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 06:19:20 AM »

They used to play this film all the time on a local UHF station when I was a kid.  I always thought that the climax was really good for such a low budget movie.  (About giant shrews no less!)  It’s one of my child-hood favorites.  

I agree that it’s a great MST episode, but then again I love em all.

"There was no monster. . . "
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 09:14:29 AM »

Nice site, MonsterX!
Like the subbtitles for the pictures, too.
Mr. Peterson from REPTILICUS, as "The love child of Andy Griffith and Cosmo Kramer" . As they say in the beer commercial..."Brilliant!"

I've said it before, i'll say it agine....Some movies i can enjoy without Joel/Mike and the bots, some i can't.
But what ever suits ya, have at it!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 01:20:28 PM »

Spider Baby is great stuff.

Post Edited (08-04-04 14:20)

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 01:22:22 PM »

Loved this film as a kid in the 70's and own a poor copy of it today.

Post Edited (08-04-04 13:26)

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Killer Shrews « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.