Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:52:08 PM
714475 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Excorcist: The Beginning « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Excorcist: The Beginning  (Read 1220 times)
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 29, 2004, 02:56:43 AM »

I admit I am not the biggest fan of The Excorcist, probably because in  1973 I was only 11 years old and really didn't understand what the commotion was all about when this thing hit the screens.  The talk of split-pea soup and head spinning intrigued me, but by the time I saw the actual film on HBO years later, I had seen so many rip-offs that Friedkin's picture failed to move me.  My devout Catholic upbringing was also a factor, in that some of the content rather offended me.  I have since fallen from grace--hey, 'twas bound to happen--and have seen the first and succesive films in a somewhat more appreciative light.  ExcorcistII:  The Heretic stunk like rotten socks on a  drunk in the gutter, but Legion was closer connected to the original storyline, albeit a bit boring when Blatty strayed from Jason Miller's Father Karras character.  When I saw the trailers for the upcoming sequel I started wondering as to where this one might go.  Renny Harlin directed Ford Fairlane, Die Hard 2, and Deep Blue Sea.  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Any thoughts?, and by the way I am surprised I am the first to post anything about this flick

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 06:05:50 AM »

yeah Onionhead i skimmed over an article about this in the new issue of fangoria, hmmmm. i'm not sure what to expect. the original was more scary for me when i was kid, back when my faith was stronger i was easily more worked up about ghosts and demons. and similar to yourself i'm a Methodist turned atheist, but i guess we'll just have to wait and see how the new ones goes.
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 11:03:21 AM »

I'm a bit nervous about this one...it's not that I'm afraid of "The Exorcist" , I got a little freaked out and I enjoyed it, but what I'm afraid of is this new movie will be sucktacular like the 2nd movie. Who knows..

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
nobody
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 02:07:47 PM »

I've never seen any of "The Excorcist" movies, or "Poltergiest" (sp?), and I only recently got around to watching the orginal "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre." I'm really out of the old horror movie loop.

People often tell me that horror has very little shelf life- that if I go back and watch some of these old movies I won't be impressed. I guess that's true in TCM's case, for me anyway... I didn't like it in the least.

I might give this new excorcist movie a spin, seeing as how it's billed as a prequel and all, and if I like it i may try and watch the other films.
ED
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 02:23:10 PM »

Hopefully the "Nut o' Fun" will feature.   Very importantto the Exorcist Genre, I feel
-Ed
the true movie critic
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 08:04:22 AM »

Well , i went with the anticipation of getting of spooked out and i ended up laughing if anything. i was truly disappointed and at times i truly found myself yawning and trying to get through the movie. Even with the computer generated effects, not even if the pope came down to the theater could save this movie. I was truly left empty leaving this movie, there was so many possibilities for such a great movie and yet they disappointed us again.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 04:54:45 PM »

nobody wrote:

> People often tell me that horror has very little shelf life-
> that if I go back and watch some of these old movies I won't be
> impressed. I guess that's true in TCM's case, for me anyway...
> I didn't like it in the least.

I must say I agree with you on this point. I thought that TCM wasn't really upsetting, just needless and pointless. I felt they were just trying to find out how far they could push before getting an NC 17 rating.

As for horror films not having a shelf life, Jason and Freddy are both alive and well. The Omen, Exorcist, and Halloween are classics. Even Scream and more recently the Ring, always seems to be popping up somehow or another.

As for the Exorcist, I wont see it, unless you guys ok it.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Susan
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 05:39:18 PM »

Wasn't this one of those movies that critics weren't allowed to have a screening for before the release? That's always a bad sign

Harry
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 06:58:34 PM »

I liked Exorcist: The Beginning, but I'm starting to think I'm all alone.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 02:56:10 AM »

After reading all the horrid reviews of this one I think I'll wait for it on DVD.

The critics really slammed this one.
Nikki
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 06:23:24 PM »

I also loved Excorcist: The Beginning. I have already seen it twice in the theatre. Critics always rip movies apart in their reviews, that's there job. You can't always listen to what the critics say.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Excorcist: The Beginning « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.