Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:44:41 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  List of overrated « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: List of overrated  (Read 12138 times)
jga5000
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2004, 01:39:38 PM »

"No Ash, I was not looking for an all out slapstick comedy nor an action flick. I went into the film expecting a slow drama. It ended up being a slow, boring drama. Granted, the film was beautiful but damn it was pretty boring."

Yeah, same deal with me except I wasn't bored, more like I didn't feel I got much of a movie. I watched it cause I loved Scarlett in Ghost World (I'm a amateur comic/writer artist myself, good to see indie "comix" turned into films). Also was itnerested in Bill Murray taking a serious sophisticated role.

For me, the film was basically people just wandering around the streets looking at stuff, talking about their little trifles...that's about it. No real plot that tested these people's psychology. I could look deep into the film and get out a lot of sentimental friendship themes, but for me it's not an interesting concept really. My Dinner with Andre was a really slow film with no stylized cinematography, but the concept was what made me appreciate it a lot.

Glad people liked Lost in Translation though.
bernie
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2004, 02:53:24 PM »

I disagree about Moore -- I think he's criminally underrated because of his politics.  Most of his films take unwieldy, uncinematic subjects and make them entertaining, intriguing, infuriating, etc., simply by the force of some damn good filmmaking.  His use of "found" material goes back at least to the 1950s avant-garde.  In general, his ability at moviemaking is overshadowed by his role as a polemicist.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2004, 03:34:59 PM »

Shyamalan-- not a very big fan of his, Sixth sense was alright, but there are parts in the movie that make the plot twist at the end impossible.  I really enjoyed signs, not sure what reasons everyone has for hating it so.  

Bale--Did not like "American Psycho"  But, he did a wonderful job acting in it.  "Equilibruim" A great movie, and he did not play an emotionless character all the way through that movie. Watching his transformation was exciting and wonderful.

Dave mathews band -- This is the only band that has his sound, he mixes alternative with a New Orleans backwoods kind of sound.  Very interesting and good.  Listen to the album with Dave and Tim Reynolds and then say that Dave does not have any more talent than any colege student.  

Burton -- He is alright, I liked planet of the apes, but I was not a huge fan of the original either.  LOVED Beetlujuice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2004, 04:43:17 PM »

All right now...
The Beatloes should be untouchable. They introduced so many things to music including layering, Silence in mid stroke, time signature changes, and god forbid the used more than three chords. Even the "great" bands like Green Day, Coldplay, and the Stones only really use about 3 chords in any given song. Yes they also changed the face of recording in studios but how does that diminish their achievements?

As for Batman, if you compare it to the comic, it isn't really that good. Honestly, I would take Batman Forever any day because it wasnt so ludicrous and honestly came off a lot darker in tone with out being overwhelming. Kevin Smith and Burton got into an argument with the following lines:

Burton: I would never copy your untalented ideas. I create everything myself. I have never even read a comic book in my life.

Smith: That is abundantly apparent to those of us who have seen Batman,

Finally, George Lucas. I am surprised nobody mentioned that he did not actually direct Star Wars episodes 5 and 6.  Out of all the Star Wars, number 4 which he directed was the loosest and least quality direction and editing out of them all. He wisely let others direct episodes 5 and 6. Lucas also did NOT direct Raiders of the Lost Ark, Steven Spielburg did. He co wrote Indiana however. So I think he is an OVERrated director and an UNDERrated writer.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Susan
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2004, 05:37:52 PM »

barbara streisand

the end

raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2004, 05:56:24 PM »

Excellent point Susan.  I can't stand her singing, acting, directing, or anything else about her.
Harry
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2004, 06:56:40 PM »

Evan, good point about Lucas, overrated as director, underrated as writer.
Lets not forget Willow!
Dave Munger
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2004, 08:48:10 PM »

From what I hear, The Empire Strikes Back was pretty much [http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Leigh_Brackett.htm]Leigh Brackett's[/http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Leigh_Brackett.htm] baby. Before that, she was kind of known for Bradburyesque Mars stories. It's the only SW movie that dosn't have pretty much the same ending (big celebration, parade, wedding, medal awarding ceremony), or rehash lots of stuff from A New Hope. Not that there's anything wrong with that, a lot of that stuff is good enough to bear rehashing. I always sort of suspected that every weird subculture since A New Hope has been subconciously attempting to restage the cantina scene.

Evan3 reminds me of why I love Radiohead. They have enough respect for me, the listener, to change chords right in the middle of a song. Thank you, Pink Floyd of the 21st century!

BS should be a comediane, her speaking voice is funny.

Dave Mathews Band is kind of like most of what I hear on the radio, good, but not better than anyone I knew in "college" with a guitar.

The new Planet of the Apes was not as bad as I expected. It was a tall order, and they should probably get points for even trying.

I never heard of Joe Chill (haven't the attention span for comic books) and it kind of goes against my theory, but I like it. Perfect name for a cheap sociopathic thug. In the animated series, which is good enough that I consider it kind of definitive, Batman was so focused on the gun that he didn't even see the guy. In his flashback/nightmares, he just sees a gun hovering in space like the invisible man is holding it. Kind of a political comment there in a way, I think.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2004, 10:30:52 PM »

>How do I edit?

You have to register.
BlackAngel
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 01:27:26 AM »

I kinda disagree with you on the Batmobiles part.  The  60's batmobile was ok and a cool design back then.  But, I like the batmobile from Batman and Batman Returns just for its simplistic design.  And also having twin M-60 sub-machine guns, shields, explosive hubs and the ability to detatch itself to fit through tight alleys doesn't hurt either (I know they don't have a model for that last part).  The batmobiles from the last two movies sucked just for being too much flash.
------------------------------------------------------------
Bulls**t!  I still can't hear you, sound off like you gotta pair

Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2004, 07:12:37 PM »

Fair enough man, to each his own. :-)

Post Edited (08-24-04 19:13)

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Eirik
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2004, 07:51:33 PM »

"The Beatles should be untouchable. They introduced so many things to music including layering, Silence in mid stroke, time signature changes, and god forbid the used more than three chords. Even the "great" bands like Green Day, Coldplay, and the Stones only really use about 3 chords in any given song."

Good for you Evan, you are the first person I have ever seen actually provide examples of what the Beatles did musically.  Usually when I call them overrated an irate fan will come up with "they pioneered so many things musically."  I will then counter with "like what?" and I have ALWAYS been met with a blank stare followed by some mumbling about them being cool.  Good for you.  I still don't like their music,  and I still think their lyrics are a bunch of dime-store philosophical fortune cookie fodder, but I now at least have some understanding (as much as a person with little technical musical background can have) of why some people think they're great.
Kory
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2004, 10:16:13 PM »

Yeah- I saw Dave & Tim live in the bay area a few years ago (with a guest appearance by Bob Wier).  It was fantastic!  My husband and I saw DMB a ton of times, ususally involving some sort of road trip.

Then came the album "Everyday".  That is when they officially began to suck IMHO.

Since then, every song I've heard them come out with has been crap.  I still love to listen to the old stuff, but I haven't liked anything after "Live at Luther College" came out.
BlackAngel
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2004, 01:01:54 AM »

Graaaaaaaaaaaavedigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL
-------------------------------------------------------------
Bulls**t!!  I still can't hear you, sound off like you gotta pair
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2004, 10:57:36 AM »

I like the idea of the song "gravedigger"  I think going out into an old graveyard and writing a song about how the people might have died is pretty original. But, for some reason I cannot stand that song.  

And "Live at Luthor College"  is one of my favorite albums to listen to.  Right under Tools "Anema"  and  ummm...alright go ahead and laugh but my second favorite album is John Mayer's 'Room for Squares"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  List of overrated « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.