Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:06:23 PM
714411 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hollywood never ceases to amaze me... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Hollywood never ceases to amaze me...  (Read 6859 times)
loyal1
« on: August 24, 2004, 03:11:14 AM »

There are some movies I see, or see trailors of and think, now how the f**k did someone possibly pitch this story AND got the money to produce it for the big screen????

My first I remember was Jack Frost with Michael Keaton.  It's about some father who dies, and the son wishes for him to come back...so what happens?  He comes back as a f**king snowman!  Is this suppose to be touching???  No!  It's the worst film for a kid to watch...totally f**king with his mind, for God forbid if a parent dies in REAL life, he will probably sit outside talking to the snowman he just built hoping it will come alive as his dead father!  Sick!

NOW I just saw a trailor called "Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2"  Yeah, we really needed this one cuz the first one just blew us away.  BUT watch out Exocist!  Here comes a REALLY creepy movie.  Those babies talking with computer generated mouths is enough to give anyone the willies!

So anyone else have a movie that they just can't believe made the big screen?
Ancient Flounder
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 03:18:03 AM »

The trailer for National Treasure made me ask that out loud.  It boggles my mind that s**t like that and BG2 can get green-lit, but stuff that's out there that's more deserving of a chance collects dust.

Bheliom
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 03:19:58 AM »

Not so much the Movies as the Parents dumb enough to let the Kid´s watch it.

i.E. A Child died of choking on Popcorn from being scared of Alien vs. Predator (Was in the papers yesterday). The child was mere 3 Years of age and the parents excuse was "Our kid liked monsters so much"...

"From the moon, come silver ghosts, spectres of the blood.
From my spirit comes the darkness.
From the void, the crimson fortress rises."
loyal1
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 07:39:26 AM »

Bheliom wrote:

> Not so much the Movies as the Parents dumb enough to let the
> Kid´s watch it.
>
> i.E. A Child died of choking on Popcorn from being scared of
> Alien vs. Predator (Was in the papers yesterday). The child was
> mere 3 Years of age and the parents excuse was "Our kid liked
> monsters so much"...
>

Well that's an obvious one that should not be for kids, especially a 3-year-old!  I don't know about some people.

My concern is mostly with films that are MEANT or made for kids that are quite disturbing, like Jack Frost.  But when I say something about it, some say how touching it was for kids or a great holiday flick...what????  Ah well, what can else can I say?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 07:55:17 AM »

Yes, Jack Frost is a downright bizarre idea for a heartwarming family film.

The AVP thing, I think, ties in nicely with the discussion of the PG-13 rating. There are fewer decent kids' movies or adult movies, because Hollywood is always going for maximum bums in seats. So we get action-horror that is watered down just enough to squeak into a PG, and we get kids movies with inappropriately raunchy humour thrown in. Practically everything is PG, and the lines between what is suitable for kids and what is clearly for adults get blurrier all the time.

Of course, the other side of the coin is the parents who can't exercise any judgement.

Post Edited (08-24-04 09:44)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Bheliom
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 08:52:13 AM »

Well okay a good example for a Kidz movie that was rated too low...

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkanban!

Was rated PG.

"From the moon, come silver ghosts, spectres of the blood.
From my spirit comes the darkness.
From the void, the crimson fortress rises."
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 09:18:24 AM »

Yep.
Never liked those kinda "Family" films.
Too creepy for me. Or am i applying too much logic here?
Heh...wonder what kinda "Children movies" they make on Vulcan?....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Dean
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 10:19:47 AM »

Hollywood is afraid to take big risks.  Cheap sequels are pretty much an easy score, even if they are terrible.

People hear an idea, think it'll make money, decide how much to waste on it, and see how many dumb people can show up on opening night.

I have no respect for hollywood, especially nowadays.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 10:22:41 AM »

I think what amazes me more than anything is Hollywood's love with remakes.  I'm not just talking about remaking classic films, I'm talking about remaking good foreign flicks.

The Ring was awful compared to the original Ringu.

Ju-On: The Grudge is being remade here in America and should be out this october.  Why remake a really good horror film with Sarah Michelle Gellar!?

The Eye is also in the works.  I have no clue how they are going to take the Pang bro's flick and "Americanize" it.  The original was fantastic.

Versus is also on Hollywood's list.  If I'm not mistaken, Icon Entertainment had bought the rights to the flick.  THERE IS NO WAY THIS WILL EVER WORK.  It involves Samurais.  How the hell would that work in AMERICA!?

OldBoy is the one that I'm really starting to get upset about.  This film has been praised as one of the best films ever made.  I just recieived this flick in from Hong Kong on DVD yesterday and will watch it tonight.  If it is as good as the critics say, then I seriously hope it will not be remade.

All that I ask is that Hollywood start getting creative.  I'm so sick of everything being a remake.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
loyal1
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 10:35:32 AM »

Skaboi wrote:
>
> The Eye is also in the works.  I have no clue how they are
> going to take the Pang bro's flick and "Americanize" it.  The
> original was fantastic.

Agree with you by the way about Hollywood constantly doing remakes...

however I know I recently saw a movie, but don't remember it being forriegn, but it was a horror spoof on a reality website where they will win 1 million if they stay in the house...but they start dying off one by one (don't want to spoil ending)

I know it had Eye in the title...would this be it or am I thinking of something else?
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 10:51:49 AM »

Loyal1,

The Eye is actually a Japanese (Possibly Cantonese) film about a young woman who has been blind most of her life.  She goes through an experimental surgery that will replace her cornea with that of a deceased woman.  When she wakes up from the surgery, she starts seeing spirits.

Do rent this film.  I know it sounds a lot like Sixth Sense but it is by far one of the best horror / suspense films to be released in years.  It is taught and frightening and mind blowingly original.  I can almost bet that if you check out your local Blockbuster that they have it in stock on DVD.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
loyal1
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »

Thanks!  Sounds good really and will probably rent it tonight.  For the tough to find movies, I have to go into Boston (which is about an hour away taking public trans!)  But hopefully blockbuster will have it...thanks for the tip.
Ed
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 11:58:00 AM »

When Jurassic Park came out, we wentto an early showing.  There were all these parent with toddlers to see the "Dinosaur Film", I guess they were thinking cute dinosaurs or something.   When the T. Rex ate the lawyer there was a deafing wail going up from dozens of kids who had entered nightmare territory and probably didn't much like dinos after that.  
Seems that they should have done some movie research there.
-Ed
George
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 12:33:03 PM »

Maybe someone should have done a remake of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.  What a steaming dog-log.  All hype.

As for the other films, most of us don't have our fingers on the pulse of that creative powerhouse, the Asian film industry.  As best I can tell, if you make enough Drunken Master movies, you are bound to make a good one once in a while.  You just can't fight the law of averages.

My take..... let the movies be remade.  It's akin to remade or cover songs.  I can enjoy them for what they are, even if some (well, most) are never be as good as the original.

P.S.  Watching foreign film doesn't make you a film expert.  It makes you a foreign film expert, nothing more, nothing less.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 01:23:09 PM »

George,

Kinda harsh in the post there.  Sure, some of the remakes can be good.  Take Reservoir Dogs for example.  Although Tarantino has never said it is a remake of City On Fire (Long hu feng yun), it is most definently a remake.  And it is better than the original.

All I am asking is that Hollywood start coming up with their own ideas.  I'm sick of people never getting to see the originals which are in most cases better than the remakes.

As for saying that I'm not a film expert, I never claimed to be.  I'm not a foreign film expert, I just have an interest in Asian cinema being as it is a more daring film market and the films have much more originality.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hollywood never ceases to amaze me... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.