Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:24:00 AM
714401 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hollywood never ceases to amaze me... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Hollywood never ceases to amaze me...  (Read 6858 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 02:09:35 PM »

From The Prisoner
----
Cult movie afficionados often like to point out how heavily Hollywood plagerizes from Asian sources. However, this tendency goes both ways. Jackie Chan is the Prisoner, better known as Island of Fire, is a good example of this cross fertilization. This movie borrows heavily from American sources, most notably the classic Cool Hand Luke. This borrowing is frankly bizarre. It does not move the plot forward in any particular way. Indeed, outside of a spoof, I don't think I have ever seen a movie recreate scenes from another movie in quite such a gratuitious manner. What is odd is that these literal quotations rather detract from the plot, which is a serious concern in a movie that seems to lose its way for most of the running time. But, as is often the case, I am getting ahead of myself.
----

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Dave Munger
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 05:44:35 PM »

Dave Barry wrote a parody of The Davinci Code that eerily forshadowed the trailer for National Treasure that ran a few days before that came out.

Foreign movies that were remade practically one year later: The Vanishing, Little Nikkita? Not sure of that last title. Should nave just dubbed it or put in subtitles. Retards would throw stuff at the screen, but it'd be so much less risky finacially.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 05:58:25 PM »

I saw the ad for Baby Geniuses 2, with the line "America's favorite talking babies are back!" and was immediately struck with two soul-crushingly depressing thoughts:

1. America has enough talking-baby movies that it actually has the ability to choose favorites.

2. I could personally think of talking babies that are more heavily favored (Rugrats, anyone?)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 06:11:17 PM »

Just curious, but where do you go in Boston for obscure movies? I go to college in Boston (and live in central Mass when I'm not there), and would love to know about more offbeat video stores!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2004, 08:39:46 PM »

Dave,

Right about about The Vanishing.  "Spoorloos" was a fantastic film, while the American version "Vanishing" went the way of standard horror fare.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Kory
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2004, 10:50:12 PM »

I'll have to respecfully disagree with you on Crouching Tiger.  I found it to be a fantastic movie for several reasons:

- Great story (tragic, funny, interesting)
- Great acting (Chow Yun Fat, Michelle Yeoh, and pretty much everone else)
- Great fight sequences, beautifully choreographed
- Beautiful cinematography, often breathtaking
- The love story was so deep and heart-wrenching- one of the few movies that made me cry

There's more, but I'll leave it at that.

What did you not like about it?
Writer
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2004, 02:30:04 AM »

Well, "Saved!" was one of those films I could see was doomed from the get-go. What amazed me was not so much that anyone would give the film the go-ahead (given Hollywood's long history of making Christian-bashing films no one wants to watch), but  that the people producing it were able to say with a straight face that they were trying to appeal to some of Mel Gibson's audience.

Man! How can they do it? If I were pitching "Michael Moore Hates America" to a bunch of rabid Michael Moore fans, there is just no way I'd be able to keep a straight face when claiming that it's actually a pro-Moore film. It would be just like that "Biggus Dikkus" scene from "Life of Brian" where the Roman guards couldn't help laughing.
loyal1
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2004, 02:51:13 AM »

I do remember the Bigus Dickus scene, but forgot one thing...what was his wife's name...I keep thinking something that begins with a C like Cordelia...
Dave Munger
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2004, 06:32:57 PM »

Way off topic here, but I have always loved the fact that clitoris is Latin for a small hill (I think). So it seems pretty likely that at some point in history some general like Fabian or something may have said something like "Sieze the clitoris and the field is ours".
Eirik
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2004, 08:50:02 PM »

"All I am asking is that Hollywood start coming up with their own ideas."

Skaboi, I used to think this very same thing... and then I saw White Girls.  If you have the remake blues like I did, just rent this one when it hits the video stores.

Hollywood, if White Girls is what your original thought amounts to, then just keep those sequels and remakes coming!
Eirik
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2004, 09:05:55 PM »

"Way off topic here, but I have always loved the fact that clitoris is Latin for a small hill (I think). So it seems pretty likely that at some point in history some general like Fabian or something may have said something like "Sieze the clitoris and the field is ours".

Or "Hold on to this clitoris to the bitter end!"  Or "I need two battalions to storm that clitoris!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2004, 09:30:57 PM »

Incontinentia

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JohnL

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2004, 12:43:57 AM »

>When Jurassic Park came out, we wentto an early showing. There were all these
>parent with toddlers to see the "Dinosaur Film", I guess they were thinking cute
>dinosaurs or something. When the T. Rex ate the lawyer there was a deafing
>wail going up from dozens of kids who had entered nightmare territory and
>probably didn't much like dinos after that.

I'll bet they never looked at Barney the same way again.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2004, 03:30:17 AM »

Eirik wrote:

> Or "Hold on to this clitoris to the bitter end!"  Or "I need
> two battalions to storm that clitoris!"

Hehe!
And I thought I was a pervert!
Kory
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2004, 04:14:20 AM »

I'm sure you are.    :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hollywood never ceases to amaze me... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.