Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:38:02 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie Marathon: Recent Viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Movie Marathon: Recent Viewings  (Read 1448 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: August 24, 2004, 11:57:07 PM »

Well, had a chance to catch up on a bunch of movies lately as my latest movie marathon has brought me 4 films.

DODGE CITY (1939) - Great Western starring Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Alan Hale. Real good one as Errol Flynn takes on a group of cattlemen who are running Dodge. This movie rates right up there with SAN ANTONIO which is another good Flynn movie. Deej if your out there the bar fight was great. What a hoot ! I wouldn't have know about this one if Deej didn't give me the heads up on it long ago. Caught it on TCM this week. Directed by Micheal Curtiz and the TCM had it in color.

MY NAME IS NOBODY (1973) - One of the great Spaghetti Westerns starring Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill. I hadn't seen this one in 25 years and taped it on TCM last week. So glad to have had a fresh look at this one. Fonda's last Western and it really fits him well. The soundtrack is from Ennio Maricone and Sergio Leone was involved in the production. You won't be dissapointed if you take the time to view this one. You'll like how Fonda has to take on the 150 of the Wild Bunch all by himself.

SAINT JACK (1979) - Peter Bogdanovich directs this interesting film about prostitution in Singapore. Jack is an American pimp in Singapore and is involved in all sorts of things. Gets in trouble with some gangsters and does a couple nice things in his own way. There is no moral to this story. Worth a look for movie fans.

THE VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970) - Starring Ingrid Pitt and Peter Cushing. The film has a few good moments, but not enough to make it interesting. The sets are something similiar to the NIGHT GALLERY TV show. Left me a little dissapointed. A couple heads are cut off which was rather shocking.

Post Edited (08-24-04 23:58)

Yaddo42
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 06:52:09 AM »

"My Name Is Nobody" is one of my all time favorites, I go way back with that film, I first saw the Henry Fonda vs. the Wild Bunch scene as a young kid on TV at my aunt's house. But no one was in the room with me at the time, and when I told them about the scene they thought I was imagining things. No one could identify the film for me, when I told them about the scene. Then in high school, I rented this one not knowing it was the film. When I got to that part it was like finding a long lost friend, since I got to reconnect with one of my earliest memories. Also it introduced me to the joys of Terrence Hill films.

"The Vampire Lovers" is watchable, but nothing special in the plot department. But Ingrid Pitt nudity is a plus. Have you ever seen "Twins Of Evil"? Kind of a better treatment of similar material from Hammer. Also stars Peter Cushing, but he has more of a part to play, as the puritanical uncle of the Collinson twins who star as the title twins. Much better than I first expected.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 08:23:14 AM »

Yaddo I understand your sentiments regarding MY NAME IS NOBODY. Watched it growing up as well. There is a type of personal feeling towards this film that is hard to understand for some. It's kind of a forgotten/lost film as you can't find a copy of it in the U.S.  and it never plays on TV. (I was shocked when I found out TCM was playing it last week). There is no other film like this one even though the movie wraps up many of the genre concepts it still is the most original film in my opinion.

And yes the two Terence Hill TRINITY films are also good.  (Haven't seen BOOT HILL yet).

Post Edited (08-25-04 08:25)

mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2004, 02:01:15 PM »

scott,
i saw ST. JACK several years ago and have since gotten the DVD. hope you dug it. jacks the coolest.

www.310am.com

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

Scott

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 03:41:17 PM »

Yea, SAINT JACK was interesting. The guy had a chance to get away from it all and turned it down staying in the slums of Singapore were people like him.

Post Edited (08-25-04 15:43)

Yaddo42
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 07:14:18 PM »

I've got the Wham! USA VHS edition of "Nobody" from the 90s. The picture is nasty at times, especially in the cemetary scene. Plus it's full screen, with some awful cropping.They have a DVD version that is widescreen but has apparently the same picture quality. What's odd is the box for my copy seems to list the credits for the fake sequel "The Genius", since the cast list includes Klaus Kinski, Patrick McGoohan, and Miou-Miou.

I've got "Boot Hill" on a 4 films/2 DVD cheapo set with a bunch of Lee Van Cleef movies (betcha you can almost guess which ones). It's a more serious spaghetti western, but has the unusual setting of a travelling circus. Not very much like the Trinity films, despite having Hill and Spencer. Probably closer to "Ace High" and "God Forgives...I Don't", from what I hear.
Scott

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:34:31 PM »

Yaddo, I've had the opportunity to buy BOOT HILL a couple times for $3 or $4 on DVD, but the traveling circus idea has my curiousity. Ever see SABATA with the traveling acrobats?

Been wanting to see ACE HIGH and GOD FORGIVES.....I DON'T.

Yaddo42
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 04:51:12 PM »

I've seen the Sabata films on TNT years ago, but remember so little of what I saw. Lee Van Cleef with various gadget guns hidden away, acrobats involved in some kind of stageshow/gunfight act he put on, and Yul Brenner playing the character for one film, not much else. "Boot Hill" seems less playful than what I remember of those movies, and the circus acts less central to the action, but it's worth at least $3-4 bucks.

I've been wanting to see those films as well, Collectors Choice was selling a VHS of "Ace High" in their catalogue for a while, no idea if they still do since they have been moving more to DVD. Seems like I was holding out hoping for a DVD of it, can't remember if they ever cut the price much on the VHS, which seemed high at the time, IIRC.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movie Marathon: Recent Viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.