Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:52:13 PM
714462 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gappa: Monster From A Prehistoric Planet (1967) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gappa: Monster From A Prehistoric Planet (1967)  (Read 3257 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: August 25, 2004, 04:29:16 PM »

GAPPA: MONSTER FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANET (1967) - Wow, how did I miss seeing this movie growing up with all the other Japanese Monster films during the 70's? This was a lot of fun and I found it very entertaining. It's Jurrassic Park with a human touch. An egg from some kind of reptile bird hatches in an island cave populated by natives. A group of Japanese take it back to make it part of a magazine owners wildlife island. Well, it isn't long before the parents of the creature comes looking the little Gappa. These large flying creatures (Gappa's) have some kind of laser breath as they take on the Air Force and destroy parts of Japan. Those who made this film put alot of effort into it. Again a very fun entertaining film that really surprised me as being strangely enjoyable. At the end the baby Gappa learns to fly at the airport. Then they show Japan getting back to normal and the creatures flying off into the sunset. Well done !

Also I bought a DVD copy of it that has both 2D and 3D versions. Hoping to locate some 3D glasses to watch parts of it again.

Dave Munger
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 05:54:09 PM »

Does anything in the movie have to do with Frankenstien or a prehistoric planet? Maybe this is one of those ones where the English version is way different.
Scott

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 09:41:38 PM »

I think the "Frankenstein" title on the European poster is referring to "Monster" and there is no mention of a Pre-Historic Planet in the whole film. I suppose it just adds to the wonder of this strange film. : ) It's an enjoyably weird looking monster film.

Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:30:10 PM »

This particular monster flick that Scott has mentioned was made by Nikkatsu Corporation, a Japanese film company that specialized in crime-thrillers and dramas. The film, titled DAIKAIJU GAPPA, was made in conjunction with an American finance/distribution outfit called Manson Corporation. The film was titled by Manson Corporation as GAPPA: THE TRIPHIBIAN MONSTER (which is, in my opinion, the more correct title) in 1968 for it's English-Language release in the United States and Great Britian. Later in 1972, the film was picked up for American television by American International Pictures-TV and re-titled under the awful MONSTER FROM A PREHISTORIC PLANETand horrendously panned-and-scanned.

As for the connection of Frankenstein in the European publicity photos, the film was released in Germany and re-titled by the German distributors as GAPPA: FRANKENSTEIN'S FLIEGENDE MONSTER (which, when translated in English, means "Gappa: Frankenstein's Flying Monsters").
ED
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 01:19:35 PM »

I have seen it as "Gappa: the Triphibian Monster" The problem is that I don't know when I saw it.   A few years ago AMC did a lot of kaiju films  on Halloween, but I don't think this was one of them.  
-Ed
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

Get the Tokyo Shock dvd of this.
It has the original Japanese soundtrack, and the title theme song is very snazzy!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
daveblackeye15

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 05:57:26 PM »

I've always thought that the title "Prehistoric Planet" meant that they were from when Planet Earth was Prehistoric" so I never thought of the title being dumb.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Scott

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 08:02:04 PM »

Imagine having a sound track version with both 2D and 3D and commentary with trailer and stills. That would be a nice package.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gappa: Monster From A Prehistoric Planet (1967) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.