Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:28:16 PM
714447 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES (1962) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES (1962)  (Read 1307 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 28, 2004, 04:54:07 PM »

I bought a pile of "Midnight Movies" double feature DVDs, and this is one of them.  The other movie on the disc is INVASION OF THE BEE GIRLS.

Anyway, INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES is a cheapo sci-fi comedy written by Jonathan Haze from LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS.  The opening credits start out with "R.I. Diculous presents . . . " and the humor stays at this level throughout the movie.

The story is about 2 wacky soldiers (one is sort of a cross between Leo Gorcey and Bud Abbott, the other is sort of a cross between Stan Laurel and Jerry Lewis).  While on a mission in a cave, they discover "Star Creatures" (actors in costumes that look sort of like the Jolly Green Giant, except they have big heads with weeds sticking out of them).  The Star Creatures are commanded by 2 Amazon-like women named (groan) "PUNA" and "TANGA."

The movie also includes a few "inside jokes."  For instance, the army base is called Camp Nicholson, after Jack Nicholson.

This is a good "fill in" movie for when you don't have much time.  It runs only slightly more than an hour and is good for a few bad-movie laughs..

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 05:22:56 PM »

Like the title of that movie and wish it would come on cable, but I have never seen it listed.

Dave Munger
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 08:24:14 PM »

I saw Invasion of the Bee Girls one time. It made my tinkler feel kind of funny.
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 09:07:15 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> The movie also includes a few "inside jokes."  For instance,
> the army base is called Camp Nicholson, after Jack Nicholson.

Actually, considering INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES was created by the Samuel Z. Arkoff and James H. Nicholson company American International Pictures (A.I.P.), that Camp Nicholson reference is directly aimed towards James H. Nicholson. Plus, also consider the script was written by Jonathan Haze, who would be Roger Corman regular in films like IT CONQUERED THE WORLD (1956), NOT OF THIS EARTH (1958), and THE LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1960).

And yet, I for one enjoyed the film as I definately got the jokes (i.e., Dr. Puna and Dr. Tanga-suprised the censor boards didn't catch this one back in 1962!) and laughed. INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES is total camp and literally parodies itself in the vein of slapstick. Yeah, it's low budget, but it was intended to do so for the humor!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 07:51:21 AM »

Chris:

I had assumed that the Nicholson reference was to Jack Nicholson, because he had worked with Haze in LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS a couple of years earlier.  Also, were Nicholson and Zarkoff even involved with INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES?  They aren't listed in the credits.  STAR CREATURES was released in 1962.  I thought their association with AIP came a little later, but I could be wrong.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Phantom187
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 08:10:29 AM »

Sounds like an interesting movie. I will try to catch this one at ebay.
Chris K.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 11:15:35 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> I had assumed that the Nicholson reference was to Jack
> Nicholson, because he had worked with Haze in LITTLE SHOP OF
> HORRORS a couple of years earlier.  Also, were Nicholson and
> Zarkoff even involved with INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES?
> They aren't listed in the credits.  STAR CREATURES was released
> in 1962.  I thought their association with AIP came a little
> later, but I could be wrong.

I too has always thought of the Jack Nicholson

As for James H. Nicholson and Samuel Z. Arkoff's involvement with the film, they did fund the film and released it via their American International Pictures. Most of the trailers and advertisements for the film list A.I.P. as the distributor.

Also, INVASION OF THE STARU CREATURES production copyright is titled to 'Alta Vista Productions', which was used in the Roger Corman Edgar Allan Poe films and the Beach Party flicks that were all released by A.I.P.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  INVASION OF THE STAR CREATURES (1962) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.