Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:47:32 PM
714453 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OPEN WATER « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OPEN WATER  (Read 1326 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 14, 2004, 02:57:50 PM »

I just saw this movie today.  It's a pretty good low budget movie about two tourists who are accidentally left at sea during a scuba diving excursion.  A couple of the movie's elements definitely break the "Hollywood mold," which makes it somewhat refreshing.  Not a great movie, but better than most of the larger budget trash that is in theaters now (THE VILLAGE, for example).  It only has a limited release (there are only 2 theaters in the Boston area showing it right now), so it might be tough for you to see it.  There really isn't any reason to see it on a big screen anyway - so wait until the DVD comes out or until it shows up on cable.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
loyal1
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 05:37:41 PM »

Yeah, I saw the previews for this when I went to see The Village (I think that was the movie)  and as the trailor was suppose to be suspenseful, many just laughed.  I remember the voice over in the trailor said something to the effects of "What happens when you are stranded, alone in the open water..."  Then someone yells out  "You die a***ole.  Give me a break!"

But I am curious to see it.  It would be a mark of a great filmaker that can pull off suspense in just one small area and two people for the majority of the movie.  Hitchcock could do it, so perhaps this may not be so bad?
Harry
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 09:13:28 PM »

The couple it's based on are from here (Baton Rouge) and the girls father is good friends with mine.  Her parents made it clear that they certainly will not be seing it... far too emotional.  The whole thing assumes what might have happened, of course, because they didn't make it.  I don't know how it occurs in the movie, but I know the real couple got stranded because the captain down a ridiculous amount of beer after they got in the water and then lost them in a drunken stupor.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 07:22:14 AM »

loyal1 wrote:

"But I am curious to see it. It would be a mark of a great filmaker that can pull off suspense in just one small area and two people for the majority of the movie. Hitchcock could do it, so perhaps this may not be so bad?"

I wouldn't compare this director to Hitchcock quite yet, but the director DID pull off a decent amount of suspense.  But it's not the JAWS type of suspense (scary music and rapid film editing, offset by quiet moments to keep you off guard).  It's more of an emotional level of suspense generated through dialogue.  I thought it was pretty well done.  Not a great movie, but a very good movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Roger
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 08:02:12 PM »

I just came back from seeing a weird and very interesting movie called "Open Water". It is the story, based on real events, of 2 divers left behind in the ocean after a scuba diving excursion. I say weird because it is a VERY low budget movie that makes it look amateur... but that is also it's greatest quality... it looks and feels like a "good" reality show (if that ever exists). Without special effects, you can feel the fear building up in the 2 main characters and the last 30 minutes are nerve wrecking!!! It is NOT for everybody. You have to like movies that are kinda marginal and the ending is surprising. But I loved it.
Neville

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 04:07:29 AM »

Seen it, but not really impressed. The filmmaker(s) stick to a pseudo-documentary style most of the time, and IMHO that kills much of the suspense. It still has some great moments (the argument between the couple was great) and some tame scary momkents, but I didn't like it as much as I expected. Interesting, though.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OPEN WATER « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.