Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:44:26 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B&W moviesthat scare.. suggestions « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: B&W moviesthat scare.. suggestions  (Read 3422 times)
plan 13
« on: November 03, 2001, 09:40:55 AM »

Can anyone suggest some old black and white movies that are truely scary?

I recently picked up a double DVD featuring "Carnival Of Souls", and "Horror Hotel" (which I'm sure was originally called smething else?). Both of these movies are VERY creepy.... had I seen these as a child I may have lost my mind!

Does anyone know of other titles I should be searching for along these lines. Keep in mind that I'm not talking about the "spoofy" 50's stuff, but true B&W horror that is meant to scare.
Will
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2001, 09:50:36 AM »

I recommend the original "Haunting" from the '50s.  Very spooky and scary.  Nothing like that awful remake that came out not too long ago.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2001, 12:52:09 PM »

"Night of the Living Dead," all the way. One of the very few films to actually give me nightmares.

Also, call me crazy, but there are some scenes in William Castle's original "House on Haunted Hill" that make me jump every time.
Apostic
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2001, 05:04:09 PM »

Dead of Night (1945), the template of the anthology horror movie.  It seems terribly dated now, but it used to scare people silly.  People who can shift their mindsets back to earlier times should check it out.

regards,

Apostic
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2001, 01:39:08 PM »

All good suggestions. And if it is available, I would like to suggest Tod Browning's "Freaks." The scene with the so-called circus freaks crawling through the mud, through the rain, with knifes clenched between their teeth, towards the wounded circus strongman. No blood. No gore. But, it doesn't get much scarier then that. Enjoy
Andrew
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2001, 09:35:04 PM »

Will beat me to suggesting the original "Haunting," but also check out "The Thing from Another World" and Fiend Without a Face.  As a child, the latter title had me deathly afraid of any place with abundant straw and I was a farm boy.  Yikes!

Andrew
Rombles
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2001, 08:47:47 AM »

Try Tod Browning's Freaks. Really disturbing stuff.
Gerry
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2001, 05:46:37 PM »

I can't believe that no one's metioned CURSE OF THE DEMON!

It's the best B&W horror film ever IMO.
Hairzilla
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2001, 01:13:19 PM »

Ok...uh, Plan 13, I first saw this B&W movie many months ago and watched it with the thought that it would be an entertaining "B" flick, but it actually turned out to be genuinely eerie. Unfortunately, I can't remember the title. However, I'll try to describe it as best I can in the hopes that Andrew, or someone else, knows the actual name.

It was a movie staring Peter Cushing, who was part of an expedition that set out to find, and prove the existence of, the abominable snowman. The expedition does encounter and kill a yeti, after which the malicious intentions for the use of the creature, alive or dead, are revealed. Sounds like standard "B" fare, right? But wait, there's more! From that point on the team not only face repeated attacks by more than one creature, but strange psycological phenomena also begin happening to the crew as well....

My description isn't doing this movie justice, because I'm trying to provide enough information for someone to come up with the title without actually giving anything away. But the film is very TWILIGHT ZONEish as things play out and, for an old movie, had a moment during the climax that genuinely startled me.

Oh, just to give you a heads up so you won't be disappointed. The actual creatures are never shown even once, just an arm or a shadowy figure here and there. Upon hearing this during an intro to the movie, I immediately thought that it would turn out to be a stupid decision on the part of the filmmakers. Actually though, the fact that you have to imagine the creatures' appearance works to heighten the eerie tone of the film, especially during a segment where Peter Cushing is trying to find words to describe...something... he sees in it's face.

Ok, guys, we need a name!
Gerry
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2001, 02:58:42 PM »

It is THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN (1957) a.k.a. THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN OF THE HIMALAYAS.  I recently reviewed if for my web site:

http://www.scifilm.org/reviews/snowman.html

A genuinely scary film.  I'm surprise I forgot to mention it myself.
Hairzilla
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2001, 05:13:35 PM »

Yep, Gerry, that is definitely the one! A really good review too which, amazingly enough,  brought up the same thing I did about the decision not to show the creature.

Thanks!

...Dang, now I want to see this film again, and no vid store I know has it.
Gerry
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2001, 07:53:44 PM »

It's available on DVD with a commentary from writer Nigel Kneale and director Val Guest.  Thanks for your kind words about the review.  Most online retailers should have it.  Not sure about the VHS though.  AMC has played it occasionally as well.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B&W moviesthat scare.. suggestions « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.