Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:08:00 AM
714522 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Original Star Wars Trilogy Edits/Alterations « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: New Original Star Wars Trilogy Edits/Alterations  (Read 2939 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2004, 04:28:21 PM »

AndyC wrote:

>
> As for Lucas, I wonder if he's just afraid to let his movies
> get old. What he's doing to keep his masterpiece current is a
> lot like an aging woman who, in her vanity, desperately keeps
> running back to the surgeon to be cut and pulled and stitched
> into an increasingly grotesque imitation of youth.

You hit the nail right on the head Andy.
I completely agree.
I've always liked them as they were.
Granted, some of the newer special FX are kinda cool, especially the re-done scenes of Cloud City in The Empire Strikes Back.
I have always thought that Empire could've used a couple of touches here & there.

It was his tinkering of the very first film that was the worst of all.

Post Edited (09-11-04 16:33)
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2004, 05:05:03 PM »

I watched Lucas on the Charlie Rose show and he said that when he made the first Stars Wars he felt like he only had about 25% of what he wanted to do on the screen. Although he said in reality he had about 75% of what he wanted in it.

Many artists and writers change their work later. Michelangelo painted over part of the Sistine Chape  he'd already finished. Edgar Allan Poe wrote different versions of some of his poems because he wasn't satisfied with them.  J. R. R,  Tolkein published the Hobbit in 1937 and then after he published LOTR, he went back and rewrote part of the Hobbit to include the story of the ring.

George Lucas is far from the first guy to go back and tinker with his work. If you like the original trilogy as first released, hang on to your VHS. I've got mine.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 09:31:10 AM »

trek_geezer wrote:
> If you like the original trilogy as first
> released, hang on to your VHS. I've got mine.

I've got 'em, but they lack the quality and longevity of DVDs.

It's not so much the tinkering as messing with history that bothers me. The revised films are not what became such a phenomenon in the 70s and 80s. I would agree that the original, untampered films should also be released, either on their own, or with the new versions.

Of course, the fact that only the revised versions are getting a DVD release makes me wonder if Lucas is deliberately trying to wipe the originals out of existance, at least for the general public. It's like he's trying to mess with our collective memory.

As for the changes themselves, I don't mind seeing a few technical enhancements, or a few planned effects that couldn't be done at the time. As long as the originals are preserved and there is some documentation of the changes, that's OK. But changing the nature of characters, or even replacing actors with people who weren't around at the time just seems wrong to me, under any circumstances.

Post Edited (09-14-04 07:13)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »

....and Lucas can go screw himself.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
daveblackeye15

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2004, 11:34:16 PM »

AndyC that's what I've been saying, I agree with you. Preserve the originals and you can do whatever the hell you want Lucas. JUST PUT THEM ON DVD!!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 11:46:03 PM »

I went into a local video game shop today (9-17-04) and they had the new Star Wars DVD playing on one of their televisions.
Apparently they had got ahold of the box set somehow before it's official release..

I watched the entire "Assault on the Death Star" scene from the end of Episode 4 along with probably 5 or 6 other customers that were there and WOW!  What an improvement in the image!

It was great to see how sharp and crystal clear Star Wars was on DVD.
It looks fantastic!

Post Edited (09-18-04 03:12)
nobby
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 08:32:45 AM »

The biggest mistake George Lucas ever made was putting the original original original (see how rediculous this is) trilogy on laserdisc.  From what I understand there are several people making DVDs out of them.

Since he isn't giving people what they want, people are finding a way to get it without his help.  He will probably be forced into releasing the OOOT when the bootlegs saturate his market.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2004, 10:11:53 AM »

It is also a possibility that he intends to release the unaltered versions once everybody has bought the spruced up ones.

Like new movies that come out with a plain DVD, then a super-duper special edition to wring more money out of the real fans. He might be aiming at the wider market with this release, but once sales slow down, he could come out with the original movies for the fans who can't be without them, even after they've shelled out 60 bucks already.

Coming out with the originals first, he probably wouldn't have as good an opportunity for double dipping. If the fans had the originals, they could more easily say the new versions weren't worth buying. To a large degree, that's what happened with the VHS release a few years back.

If people figure the new ones are all they're getting on DVD, even the fans might cave in and buy them (I almost did) along with the general public who don't really care what he's done to them. But the serious fans will still long for the original, untouched versions, and will gladly fork over another 60 bucks in a couple of years if they become available.

Lucas could make big bucks on his tweaked and twisted version, then turn around and throw the fans a bone, and rake in a bunch more. In the end, he'll sell more of the new version anyway, but a lot of people will own both. I'd say that's win-win for George Lucas.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
nobody
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2004, 02:07:24 PM »

I don't get how everyone fully acknowledges Lucas's greedy nature but still chooses to support him in his neverending quest for money.
Sugar_Nads
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2004, 10:30:10 AM »

Like I said before, if anybody wants the Original Trilogy theatrical releases (the way it was meant to be seen),  e-mail me. I know a guy that sold me a nicely packaged set and the quality is outstanding by far...
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Original Star Wars Trilogy Edits/Alterations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.