Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:38:18 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Doom" The Movie « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Doom" The Movie  (Read 5344 times)
nobody
« on: September 15, 2004, 02:10:19 PM »

This was taken from Sci-Fi Wire. "Doom" is sure to be another horrible game-to-movie experience just like "Resident Evil".

Karl Urban (Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Riddick) has signed on to star in the upcoming futuristic action-adventure film Doom, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Urban will play John Grimm, the leader of a special ops team, who crosses paths with the organization responsible for his parents' deaths while battling alien demons, the trade paper reported.

The film, based on the popular video-game series developed by id Software and published by Activision, will be directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak (Cradle 2 the Grave), who recently replaced Enda McCallion. The Rock will also star. The film is scheduled to begin production in late October for release in August 2005.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 02:42:32 PM »

It could come out alright....*croses his fingers and toes*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 02:58:42 PM »

I'll be there opening weekend.  Love the Doom franchise.

Looks like The Rock will also be in the flick

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
JohnL

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2004, 03:08:36 AM »

Let me guess; Something goes horribly wrong and lots of people die. Soldiers are sent in to find out what happened. They encounter a couple survivors, at least one being female. They discover that they're surrounded by horrible creatures trying to kill them, so they decide to make a run for it. The members of the group get picked off one by one. One of the group turns out to be a traitor who's there for monetary reasons and who leaves the others to die. He ends up getting killed and the remaining survivors make it to the escape vehicle, but before they can reach safety, they have to fight one last battle against some huge boss creature.

Gee, that sounds so familiar...
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »

Well, that's the synopsis for "Aliens" but not really like the Doom video games

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
JohnL

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 11:11:54 PM »

>Well, that's the synopsis for "Aliens" but not really like the Doom video games

It also fits the first Resident Evil movie. As for it not having anything to do with the game, when has that ever stopped them?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

Re:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 04:10:29 AM »

Here's the synopsis taken from Movies.com:

"A science experiment on Mars goes awry and opens up a portal to hell, allowing evil minions to escape and wreak havoc everywhere."

Sounds good to me!
If the Rock stars in this I will definitely go check it out.

Post Edited (09-20-04 04:10)
Mr_Vindictive

Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 08:53:01 AM »

I just finished the demo for doom 3 which seems to be only available at File Planet.

I must say the game is fantastic.  Beautiful even.

But, I don't believe it will work well as a movie.  It has already been done with Resident Evil.  You are a military guy sent to check out some strange happenings and there are uber zombies and creatures.

It's been overdone in the past few years.  The script would have to be something insanely special.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Neville

Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 09:41:19 AM »

Oh please... no more video-game based movies. I'm begging you... The standard actioner these days already resembles a video-game tooo much for my liking. Why borrow even simplier plots and characters from VGs? Oh yeah, the money and the franchise. Well. I hope they never do a "Half-life" movie, I like it the way it is on my PC.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
dean
Re:
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 06:58:53 PM »

I disagree Neville, the potential for doing really good video game-based movies is huge.  Some storylines are really good, and some others have great concepts that could be used quite well in cinema (think of the various evil creatures of Silent Hill's universe)  If you could somehow capture the feeling you get from some certain games, and transfer it to film, it would be fantastic.

The trouble is people are either trying to stay too true to the game, or depart too far.  What is needed is an original concept that is based on the games, but not dependent on the games.

If they did it right, Doom:  The Movie, could be fantastic.  But since it is being directed by the guy who did Cradle 2 the grave and has the Rock in it, it won't be.  It could be entertaining at the most.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 12:29:47 PM »

This has been a fantasy of mine for years (so has a fantasy with me and Halle Berry, but I digress).  I have seen screen shots of Doom3 and own all the other incarnations, but I don't see anything good with The Rock as a space marine.  I think anybody on this phorum could write a better screnplay than what will eventually make it on film.  After all, we KNOW CRAP when we see it,; I think we could produce it better than any commercial writer in Hollywood.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 12:52:36 PM »

Onionhead,

If you are a fan of the other Doom games, do go out and buy this newest version.  It is amazing, beautiful and quite creepy.

onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2004, 02:32:58 AM »

Skaboi, I have read many a review for Doom3 and I plan to buy it as soon as I have my system upgraded.  It sounds scary as all get out.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 07:06:44 AM »

Yes, an upgrade would be a good idea.

I'm currently running:

2.6Ghz Intel
256Mb PC2700 RAM
Radeon 9200SE 128meg Video card

And yet I have to run it at the "low" graphical option.  640x480 and it's still choppy.

JohnL

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2004, 06:12:25 PM »

Small note about Doom 3: The requirements say you need Windows XP, but that's only because they designed it to check for the OS and fail on anything other than NT/2K/XP. Changing two bytes in the EXE file allows it to work under Windows 98/ME. I wonder how much MS paid them...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Doom" The Movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.