Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:45:52 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  R.I.P. Rodney Dangerfield « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: R.I.P. Rodney Dangerfield  (Read 1156 times)
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 05, 2004, 08:17:59 PM »

Much respect to a funny funny man.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/reuters20041005_556.html

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drink myself into a coma to deal with the depression.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 09:05:53 PM »

I'll always remember him for his role in "Easy Money".
That was a great movie.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 10:45:45 PM »

It just goes to show you that we are all getting older. People keep getting another year older every year.

Caddyshack and Easy Money first come to mind and his "no respect" routine.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 10:46:42 PM »

Oh man, I had not heard this!  I heard about Janet Leigh yesterday, but not Dangerfield.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 10:50:52 PM »

Rodney Dangerfield always had a special place in my heart. Seeing him in such classics like CADDYSHACK, EASY MONEY, and BACK TO SCHOOL, Rodney has always managed to make me break out a smile and laugh. It's really sad that during Rodney's final years was never given a bigger chance in the comedy genre; Hollywood never really gave this guy a break and it's a real shame. Still, Rodney will be truely missed.

Here's to you, Rodney and thanks for the good times. And may I quote his last line in CADDYSHACK: "Hey everybody, were all getting laid!"
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 07:22:43 AM »

Rodney was one of the greats of all time, he's going to really be missed.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 07:30:21 AM »

Rodney was one of the funniest. Back to School and his part in Caddy Shack were awesome. My day has now taken on a different tone. I will miss him.
I know you didn't want it from me Rodney, but I respected you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 07:41:33 AM »

Wow.  This is the first I've heard about his death.  

Truly a sad day.  The man was one of the funniest people to ever walk the earth.  Not only were his films hilarious, but he was by far the best stand up comedian.  

We'll all miss you Rodney.  Keep em laughing up there.

Post Edited (10-06-04 07:42)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 01:25:22 PM »

Heard the news on the radio this morning. Funny how, when you don't see somebody for years, he remains the same age in your mind. Then you're shocked when you see him again, or hear news like this. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised he wasn't older. I guess 82 isn't bad for a guy who didn't look particularly healthy even in his 50s. Or maybe it was just the sort of overindulging characters he played that misled me.

I think I'll pick up a DVD of Caddyshack. Been thinking about that movie all day, particularly Rodney's great scenes with the late Ted Knight. "That's the worst lookin' hat I ever saw. When you buy a hat like that, you probably get a free bowl of soup. Oh, but it looks good on you." Classic.

Of all the comedies I loved in the 80s, Caddyshack is one of a few that haven't lost any of their greatness when viewed through more mature eyes. I could watch it again and again, and it's still funny. And extremely quotable.

Post Edited (10-06-04 14:52)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
reagan
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 08:32:46 PM »

Ulther - Janet was a shock to me too; last I heard she was saving tigers
reagan
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 08:39:05 PM »

Okay, not a fan (feel tomatoes and other fruit & veg thrown @ me), But I saw Him on Simpsons - fuuuny, but u guys all loved him.  I was shocked to hear of his death also. RIP
Tilebreaker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 09:16:51 PM »

Wasn't he planning on cloning himself?
peter johnson
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 10:17:49 PM »

What I find most interesting about the guy was that in his first career as Borscht Belt comic Jack Roy, he was Lenny Bruce's best friend on the Catskills circuit.  Any time you read a Lenny Bruce bio & see Jack Roy mentioned, that was/is Dangerfield.
Whereas other comics might have tried to capitalize on such a historic relationship, Dangerfield seldomn mentioned it, and would then change the subject.  Perhaps it was too painful for him to discuss.
peter johnson/denny crane
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2004, 03:49:31 AM »

It would be a mistake to only view Rodney through the movies he made.

Dangerfield was not a success when he first showed up on the comedy scene.  His "I never get no respect" routine was late late in his career, at least comparatively speaking.

This is where Rodney shined.  He was one of the only people who actively encourage new comedians.  Many of the comedians who you are laughing at today got their chance thanks to Rodney Dangerfield.  When nobody else would put these people on stage, Dangerfield was busy putting them on.

Rodney Dangerfield was a hilarious man onstage, but it's his genius for picking out funny and making sure they got a chance to perform is while I'll always love him.

Have you ever tried to be funny in front of a large group of people?  Rodney was the man.  Who will there ever be like him again?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  R.I.P. Rodney Dangerfield « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.