Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:05:56 AM
714504 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Defending Australia From Zombies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Defending Australia From Zombies  (Read 1451 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 01, 2004, 07:15:45 AM »

Hypothetically speaking, Australia and other countries where gun laws are much stricter would completely fall in no time.
The primary means of defense against zombies...firearms...are highly regulated by the government there.

Australia would begin to collapse from the outward and then it would progress inward toward the center starting with the heavily populated cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Darwin from the North and Perth from the West....finally converging in the deserts in the center of the continent.

The beautiful beaches Australia possesses would run red with blood.
Bodies would wash up in the surf.
The splendor would be replaced with the maddening thunder of the running footsteps of the the dead upon the earth.
On the left side of the road of course!

Later, as the country is taken over, Ayers Rock itself would be a scene of stalwart defense and furious zombie killing.
It would be the ultimate struggle for the very life of Australia itself.

I suspect that the only ones in Australia that would stand somewhat of a chance from an onslaught of raging zombies would be those people in the Outback where the gun laws are much more lenient...so I'm told by friends there.
Having been to OZ and spent a month there interacting with everyone I came across and having dated an Aussie myself, I know how strict Australian laws on firearms are.
Citizens there do not have the right to bear arms like we here in the U.S. do.

I think an Australian version of Dawn of the Dead could be very good if written well.
The Aussies' experience of it all would be very different.
Much more different than the American Encounter.

I believe it would be much more bleak & horrifying.
How do you fight the undead when guns aren't readily available like they are here in America?

The band of survivors, say 20-30 of them would first need to find a cache of govt. stored weapons.
The road to get those weapons would be perilous and many would die along the way.
After the guns are procured, they would then need to make their way to a human stronghold and along that way, many more would die leaving only a small handful to join the Resistance.

If it were ever made into a real movie, one American would need to be in the cast though....kind of like Brad Pitt in "Snatch".
I would also cast Russell Crowe as the lead.
Only he could do it in my opinion.

What do you think?
How would you paint the Aussie experience of the walking dead?

Post Edited (11-01-04 09:16)
odinn7

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:03:05 AM »

Ash, you forget that Australia has the Road Warrior...he could handle the zombies. Now that I think of it, before they ruined the Mad Max character with that sorry-assed pop movie Beyond Thunderdome, they could have done a Max vs. Zombies movie. Oh, the possible coolness of this!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
blkrider
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 11:06:21 AM »

See, I think they would have a better handle on it since it's more isolated--only a few major cities and easier to control what's going in and out.   Also a lot of places to escape to, and a lot of places where there are few people.   The military and police could get control of the situation much more easily than they could elsewhere in my opinion.
Derf
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 11:48:27 AM »

Australia could easily win, as its little sister to the north has demonstrated, with the use of lawn mowers.

And kung fu priests.

"I kick ass for the Lord!"

dean
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 06:13:40 AM »

Well when you consider the majority of our population live on the coast, the people inland and in the country would be rubbing their hands together.  But if any of you have seen Undead, I'm sure a shotgun wielding farmer will be there to help out if any trouble brews.

Guns are much harder to come by, but then again, it's not like we don't have a police force or army that could step in.  Plus we have lots of cricket bats and various other nasty implements like the barbeque that would help in the destruction of the evil zombie threat.  [don't ask how cooking them would help, it just would ok?!]

Plus it would probably be much easier to deal with a threat than in Europe or America; our population is not very high, and from what I've heard, most zombies don't swim, so it would be relatively hard for them to get here from overseas.

But I have to ask, why does a Zombie movie need to have an american as a star, or Russel Crowe for that matter?  Both are fairly non-essential.

But yes, I agree there aren't enough Zombie movies set in Australia, Undead got me licking my lips in anticipation, but was still fairly unrealistic as to what would really happen in an Aussie invasion.

Perhaps we can organise a local footy/cricket match of the zombies vs the normies?  Winner gets to eat the other one for dinner.

Just slap another leg on the barbie, she'll be right!
Fearless Freep

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 08:56:27 AM »

Zombies are not exactly at a high technology level as far as their combat capabilities.  I do't really watch much in the way of zombie movies, but  I don't think you would really need guns to have an advantage over them

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »

I was specifically referring to the fast moving zombies in the Dawn of the Dead remake.
Sorry....forgot to clarify that.

Post Edited (11-02-04 08:24)
Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 12:47:59 PM »

Hummm...and the laws regarding chainsaws are????

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Rombles
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 07:55:36 AM »

Derf wrote:

> Australia could easily win, as its little sister to the north
> has demonstrated, with the use of lawn mowers.
>
> And kung fu priests.
>
> "I kick ass for the Lord!"
>

Actually, Derf, our beloved lawnmowing experts and the kung-fu priests are South-East of Australia, not North.

This is the direction in which I pray nightly; Peter Jacksons mind is my Mecca....

Derf
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 09:56:36 AM »

Oops! My bad. I guess I'm just another dumb American with no sense of world geography...

But just ask me anything about old American sitcoms and I'll be all over it!

Fearless Freep

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 10:22:31 AM »

Well if you turn the globe over so that Australia's on top...it looks like New Zealand is 'up' and it's easy to mistake that for North

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
dean
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 10:39:46 AM »

They aren't that far south anyway, east is probably the best general description.

But then again, New Zealand and Australia are pretty much the same anyway: I was over there about two years ago, and there were only slight differences.  I find it funny that Australia bought their air force off them [they didn't really need it, so it did make sense] and our armed forces are ANZACs [Australia and New Zealand Armed Core, I think] So we are pretty much always going to be closely aligned.

That and whenever a good actor comes out of New Zealand and trains over here, the Australian press claim them as Australian, unless they do something wrong.

Example:

Australian trained Russel Crowe wins oscar.

vs

New Zealand Born Russel Crowe beats some guy up.

It's very funny to watch that happening.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 03:27:23 PM »

Hey do they still have that big ass fence they built to keep the rabbits in? They could just herd 'em up in there. I don't think they would bother the kangaroos and dingos much.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
blkrider
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 01:12:33 PM »

Well, the DOTD remake zombies were unbeatable for anyone, anywhere.  

Aussies might have better survival chances, though.
King Doom
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 02:10:03 PM »

I'd be more worried about zombie australian animals. I've seen the place, the only thing there that didn't actively try to killme was a sheep and even then it tried to mug me at knifepoint.

Also comedy a civilised country turns australia into a sea of glass answer.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Defending Australia From Zombies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.