Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:46:55 PM
714528 Posts in 53099 Topics by 7745 Members
Latest Member: Documentkgh
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  It's official---Post-Nuclear Movies Stink « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's official---Post-Nuclear Movies Stink  (Read 2195 times)
Daryl Carpenter
« on: October 26, 2001, 08:59:20 PM »

Hi,
As I browse through the various bad movie review sites, one thought comes to mind. Movies about life after nuclear war, 90% of the time, truly, royally suck. With the rare exception of "Threads", every single post-nuclear movie I've watched are pieces of crap. Thank god the genre died out during the 80s. But hey, they give you plenty of material to rip apart :)
And another thing. How many here have actually seen "Threads"? It scared the living crap out of me when I saw it 10 weeks ago. And then some bunghole decides to crash a plane into the World Trade Center. Threads was still scarier. And don't believe anyone who says it can't happen in real life.
Vermin Boy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2001, 01:27:33 PM »

Six String Samurai, though a wee bit pretentious at times, was a fun post-nuclear movie. Of course, any movie with Buddy Holly beating up the Russian Army while Dick Dale music plays is alright in my book.
AndyC
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2001, 04:07:35 PM »

I actually like The Day After, although I know it's not generally considered great. My only complaint is that much of it is very slow and some of the performances are way over the top. The best parts are around the middle, when US-Soviet relations fall apart, war breaks out, things spiral out of control and the bombs start flying.

The bombing of Kansas City is actually one of the better nuclear war sequences I've seen in a movie. I especially liked the fact that they didn't overdo the stock footage. There was some, mostly of buildings being demolished, but special effects were more prevalent. For a TV movie of the early 80s, the effects weren't bad either. If I had to guess about the making of the mushroom clouds, I'd say someone must have dropped dye into water, filmed it up close, then flipped the image upside-down, tinted it appropriately and combined it with the landscape. Very effective.

The people getting vaporized are also worth noting, but I'm not sure whether their skeletons showing due to the intense light passing through their bodies, or because their soft tissues are vaporized a little faster than their bones. In any case, it looked cool, especially when I was about 12 years old.

Finding a copy so many years later, the first thing I noticed was the presence of John Cullum, known to most as Holling Vencoeur, since Northern Exposure. Watching this with a couple of friends, we see the world falling apart around Cullum, bombs on the way, and his family in danger. One of my friends says "Call Maurice! He'll know what to do!" I laughed my ass off.
Andy
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2001, 09:48:07 AM »

Yea, You got that right...Some of the worst are
Warrior Of The Lost World...Escape From The Bronx
Escape 2000....The Ultimate Warrior...
AndyC
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2001, 02:56:07 PM »

Just to clarify, does post-nuclear include the post-apocalypse category, or does it refer to movies about the immediate aftermath?
Lee
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2001, 07:15:16 PM »

Hey what about the Mad Max movies? Those totally kick ass!! Granted most are beyond stupid but some are cool. Along with The Mad Max movies I'd also like to bring up Steel Dawn. Patric Swazy as a futuristic Kung-Fu warrior! I'd put it up there near the top of kick ass post-nuc/post-apocalitic future movies.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  It's official---Post-Nuclear Movies Stink « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.