Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:32:52 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cutting Edge: Magic of Editing « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cutting Edge: Magic of Editing  (Read 867 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: December 16, 2004, 06:52:14 PM »

Cutting Edge: Magic of Editing - This filmmaking special played on Encore Channel last night. The give very insightful "secrets" to editing film and the role of the film editor. Many hollywood editors and directors are interviewed for this. If you can get a chance to catch it , then you must. Very good informative special that I'm sure Encore Channel will be showing again during the months ahead.

I once saw a VHS tape on "lighting" and film which was also very good. Just can't remember the title of the VHS. If you put these two documentaries with say Coppola's "Heart of Darkness" film about the making a Apocalypse Now and maybe a special on Special Effects in film and something from Bravo's Actors Studio. Maybe some of those specials on 100 top movie moments. That would all help partly towards a good film education.

Post Edited (12-16-04 21:55)

ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 12:31:27 AM »

This is why I like the commentaries on DVDs so much; you get a mini-education (sometimes better than others) on how a particular film was made.

For example, on the DVD of Carpenter's "In the Mouth of Madness," the commentary was Carpenter and (iirc) Gerry Kibbe, the Cinematographer.  Every scene was discussed in terms of lighting, which was interesting at least initially.

Of course, some are just "oh, I just love this scene" and "isn't that beautiful they way
  • did that," but overall, I find the commentaries very interesting.

One I absolutely did not like, and turned off, was the commentary for "The Day After Tomorrow."  The first 'bad word' (hey, I watch these things with my daughter in the room, and I don't particularly want her picking up certain language) I cringed and just thought, "okay, the guy's making a point."  But a couple of minutes later, he said another, and that was it.  Okay, so the film itself was PG-13, but I don't think there was that much cussin' in it; the commentary was 'hotter' that the film itself, and to me, that's just dumb.

Anyway, a DVD showing lighting/photography, sound, editing, post production and may CGI would be VERY interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cutting Edge: Magic of Editing « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.