Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:53:46 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Japanese Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Japanese Movies  (Read 8265 times)
Master Blaster
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2004, 06:34:24 PM »

Yeah, It makes Wicked City look like Snow White by comparison. I've seen previews for Overfiend sequels, but I've never ran across them. I heard they were'nt very good though. Maybe when I go on my next Anime kick I'll see if I can find them.
dean
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2004, 07:06:15 AM »

Japanese movies aren't cornering the market on wacky and wierd.  I recently watched a 'comedy' called sex and zen II which was incredibly wierd [and live action no less] which was Chinese, I think.  

I reccommend the first ten minutes of the movie, then just turn it off...
Also, some European movies are just plain off the wall.

Every culture has their good points in cinema.  Hong Kong and Japanese cinema just happen to be favourites, but recently I have been getting into Polish films.  I watched 'Avalon' the other day, a film by the director of Ghost in the Shell.  Yeah its a japanese film, but it was made in Poland, with polish actors and such [only ten of the crew were japanese]  It was an excellent film, but the architecture really stuck with me, so now I'm making more of an effort to expand my knowledge of foriegn films.
Wence
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2004, 10:21:19 AM »

"Every culture has their good points in cinema" - that´s correct.

HongKong-Martial-Arts are an own category of movies. I love most of them.
IRON MONKEY
CHINESE GHOSTSTORY
CHINESE SWORDSMEN
THAI CHI  etc.
these movies are crazy in a "normal" way, I mean, most of hese movies lack pervert sexuality for example.
What makes these movies so good is the excellent exaggeration of the asian martial arts. There are so fast and unnatural fighting scenes that would never occure in a western film. A comparison between old HK-Chacky-Chan-Films and his newer Hollywood-Projects shows this difference clearly - there is much more "plot" and less action in the new ones.
Chris K.
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2004, 01:09:45 PM »

Somebody also mentioned Kurosawa on this board, and I'm inclined to agree when it comes to his films. SEVEN SAMURAI, IKIRU (his best!), STRAY DOG, THE LOWER DEPTHS, YOJIMBO, etc. are all worthy introductions to Japanese cinema. For Christmas, I recieved the DVD of Kurosawa's THRONE OF BLOOD and I must say it is a perfect interpretation of Shakespeare's play Macbeth, but done in the Japanese stage Noh. His other films like THE DRUNKEN ANGEL, I LIVE IN FEAR, and THE IDIOT are not available, but one hopes...

And let us not forget Ishiro Honda, who worked as second-hand assistant director for Kurosawa, and would also unleash the original GODZILLA. Honda would be responsible for jumpstarting the sci-fi genre in Japan with films like EARTH DEFENSE FORCE (1957; U.S. Title: THE MYSTERIANS) and MATANGO (1963; U.S. Title: ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE). Anybody who want's to see sci-fi/horror from Japan needs to start with Honda's magnificant films. Despite critics turning Honda down because of the films that are normally seen in U.S. butchered versions, they seem to miss out on the original Japanese versions which are much better and contain really good acting. And just to let you all know, EARTH DEFENSE FORCE is going to have it's first Region 1 legit DVD release here in the U.S. by Tokyo Shock-Media Blasters in it's ORIGINAL VERSION!

I might even recommend Yasujiro Ozu, but he's kinda in the middle with me. Need to see more of his work.
Gecko Brothers
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2004, 02:47:09 PM »

Actually Japan is suppose to be filled with perverts. Their are actually large complaints about gropers on their public transportation that they are thinking about segregating the cars.
Gecko Brothers
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2004, 02:52:02 PM »

Get your cultures right! Jiun gui si(The Eye) is Chinese
Gecko Brothers
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2004, 02:52:51 PM »

Err... spelling error Jian gui is a Chinese movie. Need more sleep.
Gecko Brothers
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2004, 02:59:20 PM »

What about England's film! They are usually finally but they cuss every five minutes (less than that). Or Mexican films they have lots of perverts there too. Actually if you think about it, the world is full of perverts that  have fantasies. The game Rumble Roses shows us the different types.
Hugomarink
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »

I liked Ringu and Audition quite a bit but was disappointed with Battle Royale (great concept, clumsy execution), Versus, and Ju-On. One of my favorite movies of the past year was the new Zatoichi movie. Awesome stuff. And the old Zatoichi movies are fun to watch as well. And, of course, you have Kirosawa who made some of the most highly regarded films in history. So Japanese cinema is certainly not all bad although they definitely put out some weird s**t. Then again, look at what comes out of Hollywood these days. What do you think a Japanese person would think watching a movie like "White Chicks"?
Wence
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2004, 03:26:11 PM »

I heard that the culturally sanctioned repression of feelings in japanese culture is a cause for the strange plots, the pervert sexual fantasies and the brutality in their movies. I don´t think this is comparable with mexican or english culture...

I don´t want to blame japanese movies for sexuality in common, I am not a moralist, but often it disgusts me to watch the s**t happening in some of these films.
O.K. you can say "don´t watch these films" but that´s not the problem!
The problem is that this seems to get more and more normal !!!
Look what has done Tarantino with KillBill. Are there many people shocked?
Fifteen years ago the would have put KillBill on the Index in Germany - and now?
Every 14years old kiddy finds it cool...

PS: I hate moralists and all these backward a***oles that get p**sed when they see sex-scenes in films, meanwhile every second movie contains brutal shootings, decapitations, splatter etc.
Max Gardner
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2004, 12:40:49 AM »

I'd recommend some of Mamoru Oshii's films. I wasn't impressed with his adaptation of Masamune Shirow's fantastic comic "Ghost in the Shell," but some of his live-action pieces are interesting, to say the least. Actually, there's a trilogy boxed set that includes The Red Spectacles, Stray Dog, and Talking Head. All a bit strange, especially Talking Head, but The Red Spectacles is entirely unique and enjoyable. The sequel, Stray Dog, is a completely different film in terms of tone and execution, but also quite good. There's a good deal of slapstick humor in Spectacles, but it's taken to extremes (one chase scene is even acted in mime on a stage) for reasons that become apparent by the end of the film. Condemning all Japanese cinema as inherently inaccessible and "weird" is a bit rash.
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2004, 12:52:55 AM »

Max dont forget about Jin-Roh the anime feature that is a other sequel to red spectacles and stray dog. Its a great film.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Wence
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2005, 12:47:29 PM »

"Devil Woman Doctor"  1990
The only recommendable Guinea Pig Film (all others are crap).
liulei
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2005, 12:56:57 PM »

hot
Haze
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »

Kill Bill takes the custom of outrageous violence from older martial arts films. The shooting blood, dismembered limbs, and such aren't supposed to be realistic, but is a display of power that has been around since the beginning. The whole concept has been derived from their culture since Wong Fei Hung was first committed to celluloid.

In contrast, it's sort of like slapstick, it's not a serious portrayal of violence, even if the film itself is serious.

As for the perverted humor, it's cultural. People are trying to break out with shock and weirdness because it wasn't marketed before. America goes through phases in cinema just like everywhere else. We just never hit the concentration of wild flicks that Japan, China, etc. are hitting.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Japanese Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.