Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:04:12 AM
714433 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  FREAKS! DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FREAKS! DVD  (Read 1746 times)
The Ghoul
« on: October 06, 2004, 01:12:49 PM »

If you ever watched this b/w horror movie from the early1930's then you'll remember it. He was made by the same director of the Bela Lagosi's Dracula. Freaks was banned in many countries like the U.K. as it showed actual circus freaks in this nightmare of a run down travelling circus. Worse the walking around with a hang over at Cerc-de-Solies!!! Freaks was clearly not a Tim Burton-esk sugar coated fairy tale. It was almost anti-Frank Capra, not something you'd expect in an old movie. This flick scared the s**t out of me as a kid....with what happens at the end. A bit arty for some but I wonder if any have seen the just released DVD?
al brown
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 08:33:37 PM »

i would like to buy a copy of freaks , where did you get yours? i saw freaks 20 years ago . but have not seen it since. but i heard the dvd version omitted a lot of scenes ,is this true?
AlexB
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 02:01:29 AM »

An absolute classic! One of the creepiest movies ever made. I'll look out for the DVD.
The Ghoul
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 11:11:37 AM »

I've heard that is NOT a bare bones DVD that came from a cheap VHS source, from what I've read they added as much exhisting footage as possible. A film historian explains on the DVD the three alternate endings that were filmed but no longer exhist. This is one of the first movies to be tested out with an audience before general release in 1932. Infamously, the early test showings in San Diego disturbed audiences to the point of sending waves of them out the door! I wish THAT stuff exhisted. Alas, those images were burned by the studio. Never to be seen again, unless the edited footage exhists in someone's closet. I'm on the hunt for the FREAKS! DVD as I've not seen it in 16 years and the DVD appearently isn't a hack job. I hope it's not BS.
nobody
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 11:33:31 AM »

Amazon.com still says the latest DVD version of "Freaks" is unavailable for purchasing.
blkrider
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 10:05:04 AM »

I don't know how that can be....I bought mine from Borders not long after it came out.  

The "alternate endings" are a little misleading--there's nothing there that isn't in the final version.  They pulled the movie back a couple of times and tacked on a happier ending.  The alternate endings are just the earlier ones that end more abruptly..
The Ghoul
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 05:08:39 PM »

What does the Freaks cover look like on your DVD blkrider? Is there a commentary sound track?
blkrider
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 04:08:48 AM »

Yep, I have the commentary.  The cover is a movie poster from the film.
Dropo
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »

I love this movie! I really want to see the DVD sometime. It would have been great if Schiltze could of done the commentary!
dean
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 06:12:18 PM »

We studied this film in class this year.  It was pretty good.   We have a copy of it at uni, which I shamelessly copied onto VHS.

I think the thing about this that worked the most was the fact that these really were freaks from an actual freakshow, not just make up and effects.  It seems to make it much more authentic.
jesse
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 08:11:17 AM »

first read about this gem back in the 70's and picked up the dvd 11/04 at the movie kiosk at - of all places - a furniture store. cover is as mentioned above and looks like a playbill from 20's/30's - a yellowish/cream background with illustrations of the main players and lettering.  dvd quality is good but (especially sound) hampered by 1931/1932 studio technology. film historian discusses alternate endings and history of the film. if you can find better, let us all know.
-jesse
D i e a b l o
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 05:26:32 PM »

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Freaks:1800067699:upc=012569519121

Copy and paste that entire thing in your browser, it will show up alot of places to get the DVD

cheapest being $12.99 (not including shipping)

hope this helps ya
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  FREAKS! DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.