Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:32:09 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Lost in Space" the movie... worth watching for any reason? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Lost in Space" the movie... worth watching for any reason?  (Read 6811 times)
nobody
« on: January 04, 2005, 09:43:41 PM »

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the 1998 remake "Lost in Space"... does it have any redeeming qualities whatsoever? Is $5 too much to pay for a DVD copy of it?
Menard
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 10:06:08 PM »

My kneejerk reaction is: no, it is not worth watching; yes, $5 is too much. You may want to rent it first so you can decide for yourself. If you like very silly movies that are confused in their own plot with disappointing special effects, hey, you might like this.

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:18:54 PM »

Yea, I saw this one at the theater and it isn't very good. The ship was ok, but the film is very forgetable.

Menard
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:22:43 PM »

You actually paid money to see it? I saw it on cable and felt ripped off. I'd demand my money back.

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 10:25:03 PM »

Yep, paid money to see it and wasn't thrilled. All I remember was that the volume was way to high. The TV show was one of my favorites. Danger Will Robinson Danger. Oh and Dr. Smith.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 10:33:51 PM »

I agree with Menard 100%.  I watched the tv series as a kid and was really looking forward to the movie.  What a total let-down.  "Confused in their own plot" is about the best, most apt phrase to describe LiS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Fearless Freep

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 10:39:43 PM »

"and the monkey pushes the button"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Menard
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 10:39:48 PM »

Let's face it. The TV show had cheesy effects, cheesy plots, and nobody took themselves too seriously; it was a treat. The movie had cheesy effects, a confused plot (actually, I don't think the writers had a completed story even half way through production), even worse science than the series, zero chemistry (a big zero) between Leblanc and Graham, and they took themselves seriously. (Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the show?)----( :

dean
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 05:16:24 AM »

I'd buy it for five dollars, but then again we are talking different currency [which means it would be closer to $2.50US] and factoring my unusual fetish for trashy sci fi films like Wing Commander and Battlefield Earth...

I thought the film was stupid in all, but I found it semi-enjoyable to watch.  Damn plot was annoying as all hell.

Ah well, trash is trash...
Spiffy Niffy
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 06:44:25 AM »

Nah
Yaddo 42
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 07:28:39 AM »

Saw it at the theater, was majorly let down. Thought the opening dogfight was decent looking, if pointless other than to show off the effects they did to Leblanc's eyes and to demonstrate he was a typical "maverick hotshot pilot".

Not even the hamming it up of one of my favorite actors, Gary Oldman, could save this flick. The acting was either dull (William Hurt, Mimi Rogers), annoying (the two yougest kids) or nonexistent (Heather Graham). The CGI pet they found was so fake it distracted from every scene it appeared in. And the plot was such an episodic, boring mess, the final climatic was so jumbled and stupid I was convinced it was one of those "room full of monkeys with typewriters" rough drafts. It was the first time I learned to hate the name Akiva Goldsman, who has written or co-written plenty of stinkers since.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 09:07:49 PM »

The one thing that would've saved it (for me, anyway) would be if they got Bill Mumy-- the original Will Robinson-- to play the older version. Mumy's a very cool guy; if you didn't know, he went on to be half of Barnes & Barnes (of "Fish Heads" fame), who I've always thought should be ranked up there with Devo and the Residents as one of the great gonzo underground bands of the 70s. I'd be willing to wager that they offered him the role, and he understandably turned it down.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
peter johnson
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 09:29:47 PM »

I had a friend who could do a perfect Dr. Smith imitation:  "Oh, the pain!  The pain!!", which he would trot out to ceaseless acclaim for all the appropriately painful episodes of childhood -- We all loved the robot & wanted one for ourselves -- when we played "Lost in Space", everyone wanted to be the robot, nobody wanted to be the father or the pilot 'cause they were so colorless.
Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet made a few guest appearances as the robot's nemesis.  The only show we were all devoted to even more strenuously was The Wild Wild West.
'60's prime-time TV was created for 10-year-old boys:  The Man From Uncle, Lost in Space, Wild Wild West, The Avengers(We all agreed that if we had to like girls, then they would have to be minimally as cool as Diana Rigg), Honey West, The Outer Limits, It's About Time, Time Tunnel, The Prisoner, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea -- I could go on . . .
I look at modern TV & see . . . what?  Where are all the great trash/camp/imaginative shows like these?  I've had people tell me I should give The Lost a try, but I watched an episode & well . . .
It seems like syndication is the only place for things like this today, eg. Stargate, etc.
peter johnson/denny crane
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 10:03:27 PM »

peter johnson wrote:
> I look at modern TV & see . . . what?  Where are all the great
> trash/camp/imaginative shows like these?  I've had people tell
> me I should give The Lost a try, but I watched an episode &
> well . . .
> It seems like syndication is the only place for things like
> this today, eg. Stargate, etc.
> peter johnson/denny crane

yeah I have to agree with you Peter. Theirs maybe one or two shows I watch faithfully that last like 5 seasons then are off. Buffy, Angel ,X- Files are some of the shows I used to watch. people raved about the lost so I checked out also. Couldnt stand it.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 12:00:15 AM »

I watched part of one episode of The Lost and thought it did not look too bad, but was not really in the mood for it.  It seemed like a waste of time, in the sense that I was thinking how in the world are they going to make this go on and on?  Maybe as a miniseries I would have been interested.  Can we say modernized Gilligan's Island?

(The little bit I saw seemed to trot out plot devices to keep the suspense..)

I don't have cable (or sat), so whenever we stay in a motel, it's a treat for me to watch cable.  When I can tear myself away from The History Channel, I watch SciFi (usually).  A couple of years ago, I was in Portland for a week, and due to the time change, was getting up about three hours earlier than I needed to; it was great, sci-fi then had Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea on every day, and I was glued to it.  Brought back many memories from hanging out watching it with my Dad when I was young.

TV is terrible now in comparison, no doubt about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Lost in Space" the movie... worth watching for any reason? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.