Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:30:06 AM
714526 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Thing rip off « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Thing rip off  (Read 1107 times)
Spiffy Niffy
« on: January 06, 2005, 02:24:34 PM »

ive been seeing a few movies lately that have been basically ripping off the thing. Like  Decoys ot dreamcatcher.Its really p**sing me off to see this, and that these people are getting away with it.
Menard
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 02:33:46 PM »

I agree. Ben Grimm belongs with the Fastastic Four and nobody else should be trying to use his character ( :

Dreggen
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 07:21:22 PM »

Good one Menard.
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 11:49:09 PM »

The absolute worst one I have ran into is Unknown Origin.  The whole plot is almost cut and pasted (going to the other base, bringing back the alien, someone being infected at first, etc.)    Some of the dialog is ripped off word for word!

Also, "Evil Spawn" took the low, forboding, music score.  That also drove me nuts, because "Evil Spawn" is really a remake of "The Wasp Woman" - just with music from "The Thing."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 11:56:19 PM »

The X-files was good about using movie plots as the basis for their early episodes. They did a take-off of the The Thing with the creature being some kind of worm (I believe) that invaded the body and caused to host to attack or sabotage the others.

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 08:30:09 AM »

leviathan (I think that was the name)was a Thing/Alien ripoff. It stared that guy who played robocop (Peter Weller).

You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 09:20:36 AM »

Okay, the basic plot has been ripped off so many times that it would be easier to ask if there is monster flick that hasn't ripped it off in some way.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 10:05:43 AM »

trek_geezer wrote:

> Okay, the basic plot has been ripped off so many times that it
> would be easier to ask if there is monster flick that hasn't
> ripped it off in some way.
>

I think an interesting take on this question is what movies have ripped off the mood of the movie.  The Thing was really one the first movies that introduced the idea of no hope for the characters (fairly early in the plot), and then actually stuck with this through the end.

How many times has a film set up a bleak ending, only to drop the ball with some sappy ending?  On the DVD, Carpenter mentions several endings were considered, one of which has a rescue helicopter coming in pretty much just as MacReady and Childs sit down after blowing the camp.  He goes on to mention that he just could not do that to either the story or the characters.

As I recall, "Who Goes There" has a manufactured, happy ending in which they kill of the Things, and know that they have killed all of the Things.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Sugar_Nads
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 09:31:50 PM »

Why are you wasting your time getting upset? Don't you realize that Hollywood thrives on theft and rehashing old plots and ideas?

All their crap is so predictable and formulatic, that's why I support more and more independents.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2005, 06:00:52 PM »

I think it depends upon what one thinks is bleak. I thought, though some may not, that "The Incredible Shrinking Man" had an incrediblely bleak ending. And the original "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" had a bleak ending, until the studio tacked an happier ending onto the end.

Sugar_Nads
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 07:08:39 PM »

Doesn't that p**s you off though? What's the matter with bleak endings? I believe that they portray a better sense of reality in human suffering.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Thing rip off « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.