Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:41:25 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HBO's "Carnivale" Season 2 premiere tanks in the ratings « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: HBO's "Carnivale" Season 2 premiere tanks in the ratings  (Read 30025 times)
nobody
« on: January 13, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »

Does anyone here watch HBO's "Carnivale"?
This news about the show was taken from scifi wire:

"The Jan. 9 season premiere of Carnivale drew only 1.8 million viewers, compared with 5.3 million for the September 2003 first-season premiere, Zap2it.com reported."

I'm a huge fan of "Carnivale" but I've got mixed feelings about this "bad" news. It makes me happy in a way... assuming that the ratings drop was brought about by viewer protest.

First, it took HBO forever to deliver a second season. The first season ended in November 2003. We're just now getting new episodes in January 2005? That extra long hiatus is completely uncalled for. I know a lot of people would be quick to say, "But you want the show to be good, right? Let the writers take their time." Only I'm not buying that defense- seeing as how the first season of "Carnivale" was only 12 episodes long to begin with... I've never heard of a TV show having such a short season before. Having to write another 12 episodes for season 2 shouldn't have taken so long. And HBO should've asked for 24 episodes (an actual FULL season's worth of episodes) to begin with.

And that leads into my second (and final) complaint- for a show with only 12 one-hour long episodes, how on earth do they justify selling the DVD box set for $89? Hell, in some places it costs a lot more. I saw it in Borders bookstore for $99.99!

I really hope that the drop in ratings sends the clear message to HBO that viewers can only take so much jerking around. Perhaps this second season of "Carnivale" will be it's last...
...my wallet (and patience) can only hope "the end" is truly near.

Go Brother Justin!
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 12:34:59 AM »

>I really hope that the drop in ratings sends the clear message to HBO that
>viewers can only take so much jerking around.

No, the execs will just think that people lost interest in the premise of the show. That's the only thing they can understand.
Max Gardner
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 12:55:20 AM »

That's a shame. Carnivale was the only thing on TV worth watching after Farscape was canned. Here's hoping the ratings pick up enough to at least merit a proper ending. I had been waiting so long for the first season to come out on DVD I'd forgotten about it. Needless to say, I was surprised to see it in the store today.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:01:33 AM »

I actually never really liked Carnivale.  I watched all of the first season, but only because my wife loved it.  I could never really get into the "feel" of the show.

But then again, I'm not very fond of most series on premium channels.  About the only ones I made a point to watch were Curb Your Enthusiasm and Dead Like Me which has now been canned.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 09:18:02 AM »

"...and Dead Like Me which has now been canned."

Say again? Dead Like Me was canceled? I love that show and I've been keeping my subscription to Showtime in anticipation of the new season. Tell me I read this wrong or you made a mistake. Why the Hell didn't they say something about this on their website last month when I checked...oh, I'm so p**sed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 09:31:39 AM »

Odinn7,

Nope, afraid not.  Seems that the ratings for season 2 were less than satisfactory.  The last that I heard, they were not doing a 3rd season......... :(

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 09:32:32 AM »

Here's the original article from Cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/21/television.showtime.reut/

odinn7

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 10:06:18 AM »

Those sons o' b***hes...Guess I'll be dropping Showtime and getting one of the other packages.

nobody
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 02:15:06 PM »

Taking this thread WAY far away from it's original point... hey, Max, it's always nice to meet another Farscape fan :)

...only 4 more days until the Farscape miniseries comes out on DVD!
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 02:24:41 PM »

I'm with you Nobody.  Never can find enough Farscape fans.

My wife has yet to see an episode.......

blkrider
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 03:58:02 PM »

I could never get into Carnivale either.  I guess I'm more used to the more traditional story-oriented shows like Oz or the Sopranos where they always had something going that kept you tuning in week after week.  Carnivale had a lot of style but I just couldn't get into the story.  I quit watching after a few weeks.  

Showtime is probably the worst of all the premium channels.  For some reason we get it for free, and it is literally the same seven or eight movies played repeatedly for weeks.  And most of the time they aren't even good movies--a lot of them are direct to video.  Occasionally they'll play something cool like THE BEAST WITHIN or BLUE SUNSHINE....that's the only thing that keeps me tuning in.  

But we don't pay for our cable so I can't complain too much.
Phantom187
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005, 09:59:44 AM »

They need to show more Henry Skutter flash backs
Phantom187
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2005, 10:01:30 AM »

This show looks llike somthing out of Ray Bradberry's Head
JohnL

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 03:47:48 PM »

>Dead Like Me which has now been canned.

What is it with Showtime cancelling shows??? They made fans wait a year to see the rest of the episodes of Jeremiah and Odyssey 5, then they cancelled both. Now they're cancelling Dead Like Me?

Even worse, the page at TV Tome, Dead Like Me claims the cancellation has less to do with ratings than it does with the president of Showtime's opinion of the show! It says that other sources are looking at continuing the show, including the WB, however unless they also produced an uncensored version for DVD, I don't think the show would have the same spirit on a commercial-based network. Part of the show's humor, at least for me, is George's foul mouth.

This really sucks!
odinn7

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 07:56:27 PM »

"Part of the show's humor, at least for me, is George's foul mouth."
I hear you on that one. I don't think the show would be nearly the same if they had to clean the language up. I was so anoyed by this cancelling that I changed my Directv subscription to drop Showtime and I took Cinemax instead. Showtime doesn't have much to offer so good riddance to 'em.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HBO's "Carnivale" Season 2 premiere tanks in the ratings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.