Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:23:55 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Assault On Precinct 13 (2005) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Assault On Precinct 13 (2005)  (Read 1008 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: January 19, 2005, 03:05:38 PM »

Just returned from seeing this and I have to say that I wasn't disappointed, but I wasn't blown away either.

Many of you know that this is a remake of Carpenter's 1976 classic.
I will tell you now that it is quite different from the original.
It has a plot twist to it that I found to be downright disappointing.

I won't give anything away but let me just say this:
When the movie reveals who is assaulting Precinct 13 and why, you may hear yourself groan out loud.
It's one of the most crappy cliches ever.
And it wasn't cool.
If you can look past that however, you may enjoy it.

Other than that, the film is a success on many levels.
The tension gets ratcheted up pretty nicely and the gunshots are both loud and numerous.

One thing I noticed though....if you go to see it, count how many times you see any given "good guy" character stand right in front of a shot out window with at least 2 snipers on the prowl outside.
I kept wanting to yell out loud, "Get away from the window you morons!"
It's one thing to crouch down and take a peek outside without exposing much of your head, but these guys stand full on straight & tall right in front of the windows!
"Get down dammit!"

Also, I don't think Lawrence Fishburne was the right choice to play the vile gangster Marion Bishop.
To me and many others, Fishburne has been permanently typecast as Morpheus.
I simply cannot watch him in any new film without thinking that he's gonna spout out some cryptic talk about Neo being 'The One'.

John Leguizamo is terriffic in the supporting role of a junkie taken prisoner and then given a gun to defend himself alongside the other cops.

Ethan Hawke is by far the strongest actor in this cast.
He was great in this!  I never doubted his character for a second.

Like Elektra, this film is also visually very dark.
The film has a muddy, murky look and feel to it...which works in some scenes, but not in others.

I give this film 2 1/2 stars out of a possible 4.

Not bad....but not totally kickass either.

Post Edited (01-19-05 14:15)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 03:09:40 PM »

I'm still holding out all hope for this film.  I'm hoping to go into it without ANY reservations and hope for it to be entertaining.

Gabriel Byrne is a favorite of mine, so I'll definently be checking it out.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 12:53:43 PM »

No offense to anyone, but I make it a practice not to see remakes, especially a remake of one of the most extraordinary films I've ever seen (i.e. the original "Assault on Precinct 13." )

I do make exceptions to the above rule, as I am going to see the remake of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." It is not so much that I think I will enjoy it. It is just that when director Tim Burton and actor Johnny Depp get together for a film, what they create together is always worth watching.

blkrider
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:35:51 PM »

The thing is, it's a remake, but Carpenter's film was bascially a remake of various Howard Hawks westerns.  So it's hard to get too offended by this new film.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 04:23:10 PM »

True. That is a point in a favor. I still don't like most  remakes, though.

Yaddo 42
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 12:38:19 AM »

Is the secret of who's assaulting the station, and why, different from the what's in the trailer? Unless they pull a bait and switch, the trailer gives away a lot in that area like so many modern trailers do.

I might catch this one at the bargain theater. The cost might match my expectations.

I've always considered the original "Assault" kind of like John Carpenter's calling card of his techniques and style. Not my favorite film of his but an important film. The Howards Hawks influence on his films was so strong that the siege film was a Carpenter trademark.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Assault On Precinct 13 (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.