Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 05:14:46 AM
715007 Posts in 53117 Topics by 7753 Members
Latest Member: john
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A couple of movie news tidbits.... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A couple of movie news tidbits....  (Read 2930 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: January 21, 2005, 08:50:53 AM »

The movie version of the comic  Ghost Rider will start production in Australia at the end of this month. The movie is being directed by Mark Steven Johnson (Daredevil) and will star Nicholas Cage as Johnny Blaze and Wes Bentley as Blackheart.

I know a lot of people didn't like Daredevil, but I thought it was a good movie (just wasn't long enought).

You can check out the details at  Superhero Hype

The other bit of news I picked up today is that Sony is paying $2 million for Richard Avary and Neil Gaiman to write a screen adaptation of the epic poem Beowulf for  Robert Zemeckis to direct.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 08:57:18 AM »

Nick Cage as Johnny Blaze.......I'm diggin the idea.  I think the guy could pull it off.

As for DareDevil, check out the new DVD edition of the film.  Completely different picture.  

I don't know how good of a film Beowulf will make.  It seems to me that it has already been made.  13th Warrior was based loosely on Beowulf.

I still think they should make a film version of John Gardner's book Grendel.  Now that would be some entertainment.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:48:38 AM »

Beowulf with Christoper Lambert was also loosly based on Beowulf

Post Edited (01-21-05 09:49)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:32:15 AM »

I never saw the one with Christopher Lambert, but I heard enough to know it wasn't good.  I'm just really interested in seeing what Neil  Gaiman can come up with for it.

13th Warrior was based on Michael Chrichton's book  Eaters of the Dead (which may have roots in Beowulf).

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 08:20:54 AM »

I have a friend who will be working on both Ghostrider and Charlotte's Web.  And he's not too shy to tell anyone that he's working on them.

Damn son of a...

Hopefully I'll be able to pry some juicy behind the scenes gossip and news from him when it gets underway.

I'll try and keep people posted.

Also, on the topic of Daredevil, how does the new version compare?  How was it different and was it better?  I'd really like to see it if it is better, otherwise I can put it outta my mind for good...
daveblackeye15

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 01:48:04 PM »

Urgh! I hated the first Beowulf movie but I love the story of the original tale, monsters! I hope this new one is closer to the poem.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 04:17:28 PM »

If Sony wants to have the next  film version of the Beowulf saga, then they better hurry up. There is already a Canadian-European version of the story called "Beowulf & Grendel" to be released to theaters sometime later this year. Reading a synopsis of the film, like most literary film adaptations, it seems to be only loosely based on the source material.

Scott H
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 08:27:01 PM »

Tony Curran, a star in the upcoming Beowulf & Grendel was also a star in 13th Warrior, the movie loosely based around the epic.

Also starring are Gerard Butler as Beowulf (Butler was the Phantom in last year's The Phantom of the Opera) and Ingvar Eggert Sigurðsson as Grendel (who has starred in a number of moody Icelandic films with solid reputations). Butler seems to have been type casted into this role considering his other movies like The Phantom, Reign of Fire, Timeline, etc.... I'm not so sure that this movie is going to take the poem as seriously as english scholars take this poem. Considering the director's previous movies, it doesn't seem he wouldn't pick this actor. I think there is excessive studio control over this movie.

I really really hope I'm wrong though. I want to see a good screen adaption of this poem.
peter johnson
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 01:07:25 AM »

Mr. dean --
What's this new version of "Charlotte's Web" all about?  I've heard nothing on this -- Animated?  Musical(God no . . . no . ..)?  True to E.B. White, who could sort of write?
I'm one of 3 people I know who just love "Daredevil".  Own it.  Enjoy it.  Watch it often.  Really don't get why people don't like it as much as "Spiderman".  But then I have other quirks as well . . .
Neil Gaiman solo can do no wrong.  Neil Gaiman with other authors can be a problem:  "Good Omens", with Terry Pratchett, is inferior to The Sandman series, or Neverwhere or American Gods.  Gaiman doesn't seem to collaborate well.  I would worry about this Beowulf as a result.
peter johnson/denny crane
D Munger
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 01:10:28 AM »

"Eaters of the Dead" is cool, it's written as if Beowulf really happened. It's got  a bibliography in the back that cites the Necronomicon.

> never saw the one with Christopher Lambert, but I heard enough to know it wasn't good.

You heard that Christopher Lambert was in it.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 02:37:53 PM »

On the comic front Neil Gaiman is excellent. Loved his "1602" from Marvel and the Sandman series is great. My favorite character from Sandman was Death. Instead of a cliched looking death (black robe,scyther, etc,) It was a cute goth girl. But like Peter said Gaiman does not collaborate well.

------------------------------------------------------------
 You can’t give it, you can’t even buy it, and you just don’t get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A couple of movie news tidbits.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.