Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:05:28 PM
714422 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  $1 Dragnet DVD a rip-off « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: $1 Dragnet DVD a rip-off  (Read 1813 times)
Ozzymandias
« on: January 28, 2005, 09:32:54 PM »

I bought a $1 DVD of the B&W episodes of Dragnet from the Fifties. It was a rip-off for the following reasons 1) Bad picture quality. You couldn't see anything. The Fifties shows were know for dramatic zooms and close-ups of clues and other plot points. YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE THE OBJECT.
2) Worst of all, the familiar theme has been dubbed over with a bad piano and drum machine music that sounds more like it belongs in a bad adult video. I have other video and DVDs of the Fifties episodes with good picture quality and the familiar music (one even has the Chesterfield ads). So why did the producers of this feel it nessecary to do this horrible act. That is probably the most famous music in radio and TV. Did they think? "No one will know the difference. Besides it is a dollar."
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 07:05:06 PM »

The music was probably still under copyright, so they couldn't use it.
Ozzymandias
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 07:18:19 PM »

That probably so, but like I mentioned I have others from other companies that have the theme music intact.  Really, that music by now should be almost fair use.
Menard
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 09:33:45 PM »

Some have apparently gotten away with using the music even though it is still copyrighted. I have cheap DVDs of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, one which uses the opening music (which is still copyrighted), but most of them don't. Actually one of the more creative attempts I have seen has somebody else doing a cover of the original opening music.

It is possible that some DVD distibutors did not know that even though the TV episodes were public domain, the music did not go with them.

There are some TV episodes that are public domain, but contain copyrighted segments. Probably the most well known example of this is an episode of Abbott and Costello which features a segment with Lon Chaney Jr. Even though the episode is available on DVD and they list Lon Chaney Jr. as a guest star, you will not see him in the episode because his appearance is still copyrighted by his family and the distributors would have to pay royalties if they used it.

Yaddo 42
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 12:35:03 AM »

From what I've read, it is much cheaper to license the rights to re-record songs than to license the use of the original recording. CNBC did a segment on one of their shows about the price difference explaining why new versions of popular old songs were being used so often in commercials. That might explain the re-recorded theme Menard mentioned.

Ozzymandias, the $1 price is probably why the people behind those cheap DVDs know they can get away with not paying to use such a well known theme. How many many people are likely to organize a backlash or boycott over impulse buys and bargain basement discs? Besides I wonder what the profit margin for all these discs of public domain and grey area material is. Manufacturing costs are apparently dirty cheap now. I wonder how much packaging, graphics, shipping, and other costs are.
Ozzymandias
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 09:32:19 PM »

You're right, Yaddo. I got what i paid for.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 11:51:10 AM »

I got my copy of "Bad Man's River" dirt cheap, but not quite for a dollar. I actually enjoyed most of the movie but if I try to fast forward or rewind at anything other than 2X speed it freezes up, and being a cheap disc it has only 4 or 8 chapter stops. But considering the price, it's hard to complain too much. So I know how you feel.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  $1 Dragnet DVD a rip-off « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.