Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:21:36 PM
714419 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which Videogames should be mad into movies next? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Which Videogames should be mad into movies next?  (Read 6590 times)
Jack Corbett
« on: February 05, 2005, 04:11:59 AM »

I reckon:

QUAKE:
My cousin lent it to me at christmas last year, and I have rediscovered the game that revolutionised Gaming forever. (You don't believe me?Check out how many games credit Quake in their opening credits) Imagine that. Of course, we could write the script on this thread and then send it to a film studio and reccomend a director. Other wise they'll get that f**k Ewe "The Weevil" Boll to do it and he'd f**k it up, just like every other film that he has made.

Back to it:

STARCRAFT:
Best strategy game that I have ever played turned into a movie That would be something I would love and/or love to do. I reckon a trilogy based on each episode (Terran, Zerg, and Protoss) would work best, other than cramming everything into a two hour movie. That is next to impossible.

RED FACTION:
The first FPS that I got for Windows XP could be Freakin' Awesome if made into a film. Again, if Boll Weevil wants to direct, tell the bastard to p**s Off.

DOOM:
Okay, it is being made at the moment, but I have a good idea for a follow up.

BlEED:
Okay, it's a flash game, but it and it's sequel are excellent.
Play it at: www.newgrounds.com

What are some games that you would like to see made? And what do you think of my ideas?

"Brains! More Brains!"
Mr. Briggs inc.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 05:12:37 AM »

I believe that the megaman/rockman series should be converted to a movie next.

The first movie should cover the first two games and put deeper explanation into the story and gameplay itself (Why the hell does dr. wily leave health refills around his fortress anyway?) The hardest part of course is making 2d 3d (why can't any one veer to the right to avoid obstacles?) I think the classic series is long overdue for feature film although it should not be rushed or ruined by hack directors/sriptwriters to avoid the mario bros. nightmare.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 05:40:02 AM »

Nice idea, Mr.Briggs inc.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 11:05:15 AM »

The trouble is, most of the good games are set out like movies anyway, games like Half Life 1/2 Doom3, Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3, Final Fantasy etc.  And the other good games which aren't set out like a movie, have crazy plots or nonexistant ones either [Take note, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Double Dragon and Mario Bros]

So I really don't think that screen adaptations always work.  Tombraider may have been based on a video game, but I consider that series to be based around a character rather than a game, so it's a bit different.

Warcraft, would be great to see, though I would wait a bit until the Lord of the Rings fever cools a bit otherwise it would be too much of a rip off.  I would also like to see a Final Fantasy movie actually set out like the games [ie. Magic/fantasy/tech-punk sorta style.] rather than what actually happened with the movie they made.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Writer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 12:20:36 PM »

If I were going to make a game into a movie, I'd make it from the little-remembered 8-bit Nintendo game Astayanax, which had a minimal plot, but one which could easily be fleshed out. The dialogue was also rather crummy in places, probably because it was translated and the game's makers didn't exactly hire top-notch people to do the translating, but that's easy enough to fix.

The plot goes something like this: a kid with the rather odd name of Astayanax (from a minor character in Greek Mythology) has been having strange dreams in which a woman's voice keeps calling out to him in the darkness to come rescue her. One day, on his way home from school, he hears the voice again, and when he looks around to see who's calling him, the sky flashes and he's sucked into another world.

There, a little fairy named Cutie greets him and explains that the voice in his dreams was that of a princess who needs him to come rescue her from a really nasty wizard who's got her locked away in his castle. Since humans have magical powers in her world (a place called Remlia), he's the man for the job. Moreover, he can't go home again until he does his job, because the princess is the only one who has the power to send him back.

From there, Astayanax and Cutie make their way through the wizard's hordes of monsters to his castle, where they meet his evil assistant and do battle with him. When Astayanax slays the assistant, however, he learns that there's a spell on the assistant that will cause the one who slays him to die, unless someone will take his place. Heroic fairy that she is, Cutie sacrifices herself so that he can go on to finish off the wizard and rescue the princess. When he rescues the princess, she invites him to the victory party, but he tells her his parents are probably worried about him and he just wants to go home.

So she sends him back. He wakes up at his desk at school, and is wondering whether it was all just a dream. Then, on his way home, he passes a familiar-looking girl, does a double-take, and realizes that it's Cutie, now in a human form. As he's wondering how this came about, the princess appears to him in the setting sun and tells him that Cutie is his reward for his heroic deeds. Here the story ends.

For a movie based on this game, I have the idea that all of the prolonged fighting scenes that are otherwise inevitable can be minimized by having the fights be shown as a kind of routine work done between the cut scenes. For a touch of humor, the dialogue could even have Astayanax say something like "You know, these critters really aren't too sturdy. This wizard guy doesn't exactly hire top-flight monsters, does he?"

Meanwhile, the movie could focus more on the blossoming romance between Astayanax and Cutie, which was probably played down in the game mainly because it was aimed at a crowd of young male players who weren't much into love stories. By now, the kids who played that game should be more interested in romance, and might find it rather charming in a nostalgic way. Meanwhile, if the producers can find a handsome enough boy and pretty enough girl to play Astayanax and Cutie, respectively, they can also snag some today's younger teens as their target audience.

For the dialogue, Astayanax could talk a little more about his name and the story behind it and how he always wondered why his parents called him that, while Cutie could help provide a kind of guided tour to Remlia (which is hardly seen in the game, except as background during the fighting) while explaining her own name to Astayanax. (I think it's a nickname, or at least it ought to be. ) The Princess, meanwhile, could be a woman in her twenties who's beautiful enough (in spite of her purple hair), but more in a mature and commanding way than a cute and lovable way, thereby making Astayanax's lack of interest in pursuing anything with her at the end of his quest that much more plausible.

The evil wizard and his assistant have some dialogue of their own from the game, and this could also be expanded to give us some background on the villain's motives for taking over Remlia in the first place. (It's not too hard to for us to figure out why he might want to have a big empire all to himself, but he might as well tell us what he plans to do with it when he has it.) The beginning and ending of the game could also be extended in the movie to allow for more character development, maybe showing us how the other kids at school treat Astayanax, and how his parents react when he brings home this lovely girl they've never seen before and asks whether she can stay with them since she doesn't have any place to go otherwise.

To be sure, this would never make a blockbuster hit, but it might make a good enough fantasy film to be worth a rental, and it's better than just about any other old video game that might be made into a movie.
Eirik
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 01:26:44 PM »

I'm thinking John Voight as the frog.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 05:45:15 PM »

Eirik wrote:

>I'm thinking John Voight as the frog
>

Bwahahahahahahahahaha
Jack Corbett
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 05:47:36 PM »

Think about it. How cool would it be?

Well, this will p**s off fans, but I think that the SeeD Test (Fire Cavern) should be taken out out of the film.

PS: if I direct it after watching a zombie flick, it might get a bit bloody.
Writer
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 08:17:38 PM »

Actually, the main problem with doing any RPG as a movie is simply that the movie can only follow one storyline or so at a time, whereas RPGs usually have any number of stories in them, and can extend their storylines out for hours and days at a time, much too far for a movie. It's the same problem you get adapting a movie from a novel: the novel writer can do whatever he wants for as long as he wants, while the movie director has to keep the movie within his special effects budget and inside of reasonable time limits. The Lord of the Rings movies just barely passed both of these tests, and even then fans of the novels had many good reasons to grumble.

The better games to adapt if you're going to have any video game adaptations at all are the ones with a closed one-story system and definite end, such as Double Dragon and Ninja Gaiden. (Of course, the problem with the Double Dragon movie is that instead of playing it as a simple martial arts movie with a revenge story in the style of the game, the director made it all about chasing down some stupid pair of magical amulets.) For the adaptation to be any good, you have to make the director play it straight instead of dressing up some lame artistic "vision" in the game's symbols and pretending it's the same thing. If the game's a beat'em up (which might be the kind of game that adapts best), the movie should be all about beating up bad guys, too.
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 10:16:46 PM »

Ninja Gaiden would work quite well actually.  It was also, incidentally, one of the first games I know about that had cinematic cut scenes.

Although I have to admit that a Final Fantasy VIII movie would be great to see.  It would be nothing else but an epic, but great nonetheless.

But then again, as was said, the multi storylines are pretty hard to pull off.

Any Jap survival horror, like Silent hill, could make for creepy viewing as well.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Pong movie to come out.  Or perhaps Tetris: The movie.  'get the drop on crime with Tetris'

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack Corbett
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 10:30:35 PM »

Well, somebody on the IMDb thought of splitting FF8 into a four-part epic if they made the movie. I was going to do an Eight-part one, but having each disc be it's own movie would work pretty well.

Plus I'm considering doing it in Lego. But just the Dollet sequence.
Alan Smithee
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 12:26:43 AM »

Was Grand Theft Auto ever made into a movie? Not like I'm advocating it to be, but I'm surprised it hasn't.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 12:29:24 AM »

Ron Howard's first movie was GTA, but with nothing to do with the games. (they hadn't been made then)

By the way, should it be GTA3, GTA:VC, or GTA:SA?
Alan Smithee
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 01:24:51 AM »

I only played Vice City. I'm not actually a video game fan. I used to love video games, but lost interest in them.
Jack Corbett
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2005, 01:31:09 AM »

Ah. Okay, then. But you should play GTA: San Andreas. It's better than what they hyped it up to be.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which Videogames should be mad into movies next? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.