Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:34:59 AM
714501 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Un-PC commercials that got censored « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Un-PC commercials that got censored  (Read 4073 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 12, 2005, 10:15:08 PM »

The recent thread about commercials you hate reminded me of a topic I've been thinking about for a while; Commercials that were (apparently) censored because they weren't politically correct.

A car commercial from a couple/few years ago featured a mother driving her young daughter and baby through a country area. I'm a little sketchy on the details, but the discussion turns to how the parents named them. I forget if she asks about her name, or the baby's name, but the mother explains that the name was chosen because it was the place where they were conceived. The girl then asks how one of them got the name Concorde, then she glances at the dashboard where the name of the car, "Concorde",  is written. As the car drives off into the distance, you hear the girl go "Eeeewwww". Later, they removed the last line and replaced it with the mother saying "Concorde Massachusetts, silly".

Another one, I forget exactly what the commercial was for, had a teenager narrating while it showed scenes of him and his friends doing various things over the summer. Basically, he was telling the story of one of his friends who kept trying to get a girlfriend, but every time he starts to make some progress, the kid's mother shows up and drags him home. The commercial ended with the guy saying "My advice? Get a car, fake an injury, and stop telling your mother where we're hanging out!" Later the last line was changed to "My advice? Get a car, fake an injury, and make out with girls before your curfew."

Recently, there was a Toyota Corolla commercial with a very hot blonde showing off her new car to her girlfriend. She tells her "I even had money left over, so I bought Steve something". Her girlfriend asks why she'd buuy anything for her ex boyfriend and the blonde just smiles. It then shows "Steve", who looks like the stereotypical loser in these type commercials, opening his blinds to discover a billboard right across the street with an image of him in the nude (his head is blocking the crotch). It ends with a shot of the blonde grinning. I haven't seen this one in a week or two and I heard a rumor that some people complained that it was male-bashing, so I guess Toyota pulled it. Wusses...

Anyone know of any others?
daveblackeye15

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 10:24:55 PM »

Concorde? Isn't that the name of Roger Corman's current company? Carnosaur? "Raptor"?

EWWW!!!

Raptor.... no wonder they chanced it.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
JohnL

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 10:34:55 PM »

I knew I forgot one;

During the recent Superbowl (I didn't watch it, just heard about it after), there was an ad for the internet domain registration company GoDaddy.com where a woman is testifying before some kind of government committee. When she stands up, one of the straps on her top breaks. You don't see anything, her top stays in place, just that the strap falls down. Apparently the NFL felt that it would remind people too much of the Janet Jackson incident (which I guess it spoofs and which was a horrible, evil moment in TV history that traumatized millions!!!!!!) and forced the second airing of the commercial to be pulled. They didn't even run the "Sponsored by..." tag that the contract required, neither did they refund the money GoDaddy.com paid for the ads. I've seen the ad and it's VERY tame.
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 10:39:20 PM »

During the Super Bowl, in the second quarter they showed a commercial with a huge breasted woman in front of a mock council. The ad was for Godaddy.com (domains) and the strap on her top broke, in effect, the were making a play on what happened last year. Anyway, you don't see anything obviously except for this hottie talking to the council. I liked it....
I read on Monday that the ad was also supposed to run during the 2 minute warning at the end of the game but the NFL, after seeing it once, told Fox to pull it. This crap is making me sick.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »

There was also a truck commercial for the  Lincoln Mark LT that was to air during the Superbowl that showed a priest admiring the truck.

The ad had big time sexual overtones and even showed the priest running his hands along the surface of the truck.

Needless to say, it was yanked.

GO HERE TO READ MORE

Post Edited (02-12-05 22:11)
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 11:36:06 PM »

Hey JohnL! You stole my post as I was writing it dammit all! Actually, that's pretty funny.

Hey Ash, you back for good or just posting for tonight?

JohnL

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 10:46:20 PM »

>Hey JohnL! You stole my post as I was writing it dammit all! Actually, that's pretty
>funny.

Yeah,. I noticed that. :)

BTW, you can download both versions of the commercial, both aired and the longer web-only version, in WMV, MOV and MP4 (Mpeg4) here;

Go Daddy Superbowl ad

To download it rather than viewing it online, click the Download This Ad on the bottom left. Fill out the requested info (nothing personal) and you should end up at a download link. Right-click & save.
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 11:03:13 PM »

Thanks, already did that last Monday.

Scott H
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 11:43:01 PM »

A very famous Beatles poster was recently airbrushed to remove a cigarette from Paul's right hand. The poster, you ask? None other than that of Abbey Road. The fools have no respect for artistic integrity. DAMN FOOLS. All of them. Whoever you are. YOU'RE ALL FOOLS.

hrmphh.....
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 08:04:25 AM »

Already mentioned the KFC one. Taking out the joke about the old lady with the bucket on her head just rendered the rest of the commercial pointless. But the effort they put into changing it was staggering. It looked like they actually edited the bucket right off her head in the long shot (nice happy family of food hoarders). Of course, now you just wonder why Grandma isn't important enough to have a part in the commercial. I bet the guys who put so much trouble into writing and producing a commercial (one that is actually funny, and that people like) just want to cry when this happens.

The one that always struck me as really stupid was a car commercial from years ago. It's all done from a dog's point of view as he rides in the vehicle, narrated with his thoughts. At one point, a cat runs across the road, and the dog, being a dog, says "Hit that cat! Hit that cat! Darned anti-lock brakes." It's cute, and it's funny, and it really wasn't a big part of the commercial. But, a couple of weeks later, the line became "Watch that cat! Watch that cat! Hmmm, anti-lock brakes (admiringly)." It doesn't make sense, it's out of character, and it just sounds dumb. But what really got me was that somebody was actually enough of a tightass to be offended by such a little thing as a dog wanting (just wanting, mind you) to hurt a cat, and obviously had nothing better to do than b***h and whine. And somebody else was spineless enough to change it. Makes you wonder what kind of tactics are used by the bleeding hearts behind this stuff.

Post Edited (02-14-05 12:26)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2005, 06:18:24 PM »

Just the other day I had the radio on and the Steve Miller "Jet Airliner" song comes on.  One of the lines is "That I don’t want to get caught up in any of that
Funky s**t goin’ down in the city".  Now I've heard that full line, including s**t on the radio since the song came out in 1977.  Of course this time they blatanly substituted another word (stuff?) in place of s**t.  It's been this way for 25 years and now someone has to go and muck it up.  Grrrr.  What's next are they going to wreck Pink Floyd's "Money", with "that do goody good bulls**t"?   Bastards.
odinn7

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2005, 07:35:15 PM »

I've heard the song plenty of times with "funky kicks" instead. Ridiculous.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2005, 08:14:18 PM »

The version on Steve Miller's Greatest Hits had "funky kicks." That's the only version I can remember.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2005, 08:28:34 PM »

Huh, I'd swear that my LP has funky s**t.  Time to fire up the old turntable.
saintmort
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2005, 08:55:33 PM »

the lyrics has s**t but I always hear kicks maybe Steve Miller just got very very very very confused by how awful our american dialect is?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Un-PC commercials that got censored « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.