Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:07:16 PM
714494 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best grip strength? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best grip strength?  (Read 1493 times)
Mr. Hockstatter
« on: February 26, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »

I always get a kick out of how people are able to hold on to things in the movies.  The best example I can think of is in the movie Boa.  There's an 80 foot snake hanging out of the back of an airplane, and there's even a parachute attached to it which is being pulled along at maybe 200 mph.  And Dean Cain is able to hold this snake and parachute - with his hands!  What's that, like several thousand pounds or so he can hold?  I mean, that's impressive.  

Spiders II has a similar scene.  Two people (Stephanie Niznik and her character's husband) are being pulled out of the water by a large military helicopter.  Suddenly a giant spider grabs Niznik's leg, and she's able to hold on to her husband's leg so powerfully that the entire helicopter gets pulled downward.   I think she even manages to do this with one hand, while she tosses a grenade with the other hand.

Any other contenders in the B movie static hold competition?

Eirik
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 11:13:35 AM »

Well, Dean Cain is a big guy you know.

Good topic.  I was always impressed by how Michelle Pfeiffer in Ladyhawke was able to hold onto the edge of the tower with one hand until she turned into a hawk at sunrise.  What was impressive about it is she was holding with the same arm that took a crossbow bolt through the shoulder just a few hours earlier.  Ouch.

Not quite the same thing as grip strength, but I was also impressed by Holly Gennaro/McLane's watchband's capability to support the weight of a struggling man.

Then who can forget Indy's herculean death grip on various parts of that truck during the chase scene in Raiders?
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 03:36:51 PM »

When dangling, especially from a helicopter, NEVER hang on with both hands. Bad form.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 06:38:05 PM »

Mr. Hockstatter wrote:

> I always get a kick out of how people are able to hold on to
> things in the movies.  The best example I can think of is in
> the movie Boa.  There's an 80 foot snake hanging out of the
> back of an airplane, and there's even a parachute attached to
> it which is being pulled along at maybe 200 mph.  And Dean Cain
> is able to hold this snake and parachute - with his hands!
> What's that, like several thousand pounds or so he can hold?  I
> mean, that's impressive.  

Im glad to see someone else has sat through this drek. I actually did a review on this site some time ago about this film. Too bad Dean Cain's emotional grip on people wasnt as strong as his grip to the plane.

How about in Vertical Limit when Chris O'Donnell falls from the helicopter and a man in mittens catches him who is also wearing gloves and holds on. Also when O'Donnell takes the huge leap into the opposing cliff face with his pick axes and after landing face first, manages to hold on.

Also, how about Arnold's death grip in T2 at the bar where he acquires his clothes. Bends the man's hand all the way back... mmmm.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 07:15:27 PM »

I think Anguirus in Destroy all Monsters had an incredible bite grip when he latched on to King Ghidorah's neck and was able to hang on when Ghidorah flew up into the air. Ouch!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 07:22:59 PM »

I've always been impressed how someone can hold on to a tiny ledge with just their finger tips.  The most  recent example of this  was Return of the King when Frodo and Gollum fall  off the ledge into Mt. Doom. He was hanging by his finger tips for about  5 minutes and then Sam drags  him up by the hand that Gollum just bit the finger off  of  which  is covered in fresh blood.

I know their are thousands of examples of this superhuman abililty .

What about Ripley in  Aliens when she has the queen Alien hanging off her ankle while the air lock is explosively decompressing? That lady must have  some gams on her.  At the least it should have ripped her hip out of the socket.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 03:23:51 PM »

daveblackeye15 wrote:
> I think Anguirus in Destroy all Monsters had an incredible bite
> grip when he latched on to King Ghidorah's neck and was able to
> hang on when Ghidorah flew up into the air. Ouch!

And yet, the original Mechagodzilla was able to rip his jaws apart (which always struck me as unusually cruel for one of those movies).

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
daveblackeye15

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 04:20:32 PM »

AndyC

Oh yeah I forget about that, but Mechagodzilla was a robot and Anguirus was beaten down quite badly by him before he got his jaws ripped open. Poor Anguirus that part still makes me flinch.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 12:32:12 AM »

Well, I can tell you who has the least grip strength....

Sly Stallone in "Cliffhanger"

Matt
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 05:59:26 PM »

I realized this as a little kid,watching my favorite "Superman" with George Reeves. In the Pilot episode,There was this guy holding onto a rope hanging from a Zepplin! Looked like a rag doll with the wind and all! By the time superman got to him he finally let go! It had to take Superman at least a 1/2 hour before he got the word,changes,ect!  LOL! I remember telling my dad :Wow that guy is as strong as superman! To which my dad replied. "Thats B.S.! LOL
Master Blaster
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 06:14:44 PM »

Sounds like the original King Kong, where Kong grabs that dinosaur and pulls its jaws apart until you hear a crack. Almost made me cry as a youngins. Big mean hairy bastard.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 08:01:58 PM »

Yeah, but I think the T-Rex was killed (or so it appeared). It also wasn't a sympathetic character. Godzilla's little buddy went slinking off like a kicked dog, his jaw flopping loosely. When I see that, I always think "poor thing, how's he going to eat?"

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best grip strength? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.