Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:41:26 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lifeforce « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lifeforce  (Read 1642 times)
Eirik
« on: February 25, 2005, 10:38:48 AM »

I started typing out a response to the Lifeform thread below when it occurred to me I was typing about a different movie.  So I'll mention it in a new thread: Anyone see Lifeforce?  It was an 80's scifi flick that capitalized on the Haley's Comet arrival.  Of course you couldn't see Haley's Comet in the real northern hemisphere, but you could in the movie.

This one started out strong with a British-American space mission discovering an alien ship flying in the tail of the comet.  On board they find three apparent humans in suspended animation (including an attractive woman who is completely naked for most of the movie as I recall).  Anyway, they bring hem back to Earth and learn they are not what they appear - they are in fact life force sucking aliens.  Some connection is made between the aliens and legends of vampires I believe.  The movie deteriorates at the end when the aliens and their zombie minons take London by storm and NATO gets involved - I generally think monster movies become exponentially less scary when they forfeit the element of isolation.

Anyway - a pretty decent scifi-horror flick that flops toward the last thirty minutes.  I want to say there were some recognizeable stars in it (I'm sure there was an older British guy I knew from somewhere).  Pretty ballsy movie to combine outer space, vampires, zombies, and disaster movie themes all in one.  Extra points for the naked female alien.
Menard
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 10:47:20 AM »

Patrick Stewart was in it. He had joked about it being his first onscreen kiss, but it was with a guy. It was directed by Tobe Hooper who directed THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. It is also known as SPACE VAMPIRES, based on the Colin Wilson novel of the same name.

Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 01:05:00 PM »

Yeah, I thought the same thing.  Great start, but kinda went downhill towards the end.   Still a good movie overall.  And that naked babe was appreciated.

Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 03:21:56 PM »

Mr. Hockstatter wrote:

> that naked babe was appreciated.

Mmmm...Matilda May a.k.a. "naked babe"
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 03:30:37 PM »

This was about something besides the naked babe or was I just distracted through the whole thing. I can think of a whole bunch of movies that would have been helped in the 'keeping my attention' department by a naked babe. :)

Whatever happened to Steve Railsback? The last thing I saw him in was a short-lived Fox show called "The Visitor" with John Corbett.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Wence
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 04:38:18 PM »

"Lifeforce" is a good zombie-film. Maybe the only zombie-film that has scenes with thousands of zombies.
I wouldn´t say that it "flops toward the last thirty minutes".
Why do you think that?
Eirik
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 08:06:15 PM »

I felt the movie was pretty scary early on but sacrificed that by becoming a disaster/end of the world type movie toward the end.  As I said, the element of isolation is pretty key to the horror genre and it's hard to think of the main characters as isolated when they have the British Army backing them up.  The idea at the end that the "nuke London" option would only make the energy sucking monsters infinitely powerful was a little too straight out of the Andromeda Strain too.

Overall I'm not knocking the movie -- I thought it was pretty good.  It's just that I felt the ending spun a little out of control in terms of scale.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »

I liked this movie. It had kind of a Quatermass and the Pit sort of feel to it, but with a naked  chick.

Post Edited (02-25-05 20:05)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 04:37:27 AM »

Liked it as well, but I don't know if it will admit a second viewing. I remind it being cool and all, but with lots of dumb plot holes. Visually stunning, certainly (I mean Mathilda May, not the movie).

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 08:25:20 AM »

Not to long ago a friend and I watched it along with the movie "Night of the Comet". She liked "Lifeforce".
I luv dolma
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 11:21:54 AM »

It is hard to believe that Dan O'Bannon wrote the script for Lifeforce. It had an interesting start to it, but lost me half way through.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Lifeforce « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.