Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:02:17 AM
714434 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Limey : Kick Arse, lad! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Limey : Kick Arse, lad!  (Read 2223 times)
Flangepart
« on: November 30, 2001, 12:42:40 PM »

Just watched Terrance Stamp show some colonials a thing or two about pain. Stamp gives a subtle, hard edged performance, and should always be included in the catigory i call, "Sunshine Noir". I mean, Noir concepts that take place in California. Lots of good scenes in this one. Good lines too. Hummmm....come to think of it, any other films that ya' think might fit my definition? It seems that doing it in L.A. particulary fits the idea. "L.A. confidential" obviously. Any others?
yaddo42
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2001, 12:25:07 PM »

I have a perfect film for your "sunshine noir" category. "Point Blank" from 1967 starring Lee Marvin and directed by John Boorman. It's set in San Francisco since Alcatraz figures into the plot. Depending on your take on it, it could also count as a modern ghost story of a sort That Mel Gibson movie "Payback" from a couple of years ago was a kind of a remake; both films are based on the same book, but it's the first film that people tend to admire. "Payback" just drained the style and attitude that made "Point Blank" work.

The only other film I can think of right off that fits your category would be "Marlowe" from 1969 with James Garner and Bruce Lee. I like that movie also, but it's very tame compared to what it could have been.

Check both out and see what you think.
Flangepart
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2001, 01:02:03 PM »

Good call. "Point Blank" was great. Lee , as always, was  a guy not to "Bleep" around with. Haven't seen "Marlow" for some time, but i still remember the fight scene on the balcony....Wonder how B. Lee liked the end of that scene? "I do what?!"
Lee
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2001, 11:04:18 PM »

Anybody here know where I can find a copy of Marlows? That would look good in the collection! Of course Lee Marvin doesn't "bleep" around. Not many Lee's do that. I happen to be one who does though. *grin*
Neville
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2001, 07:08:32 AM »

Ok, I like your game, and I have not one but three flicks to add to your list:

1) Cop, by James B. Harris starring James Woods. Definitely not sunny, but it is a good adaptation of a great James Ellroy novel, "Blood on the moon" and everything takes place in L.A.. It is more a vehicle for Woods than anything else, but it is full of sex, violence, political incorrection and sarcasm.

2) Chinatown. Oh yes, that's a classic one! One of Jack Nicholson's best jobs and a nice retro-look. Yes, this one is sunny, also very difficult to follow and has one of the best endings I have never seen.

3) Elmore Leonard's Gold Coast: Direct-to-TV flick directed by Peter Weller!!
I don't like  Leonard's novels, and people expecting a Tarantino-like movie will be disappointed. However, I think it is very well directed, I like the simplicity of the plot and I can forgive its mistakes. Lots of sun here, and even some dolphins!
Flangepart
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2001, 11:40:56 AM »

Thanks, Neville. Sounds like what i had in mind. Yeah, Noir is an additude as mutch as a look, and you can be very dark in La La land. Speaking of Noir, ever seen "Rafififi"? its a B&W 1955 flick about a jewel histe, and this French flick has a lot to offer. Check it out! Nice DVD.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Limey : Kick Arse, lad! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.