Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:43:07 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Crawling Hand Movies -- « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Crawling Hand Movies --  (Read 4425 times)
peter johnson
« on: March 12, 2005, 01:53:19 AM »

Now, Scott brought up an interesting subgenre of B films that I don't believe I've seen discussed on the board before, here:  
Disembodied Crawling Hand movies -- you know, where there's a hand crawling around with a life of its own, that seeks out and strangles people, etc.
My wife and I really love the Oliver Stone directed "The Hand", with Michael Caine.  Back in the day, SCTV(Second City Television), with Catherine O'Hara, Dave Thomas, etc. etc. , did a brutal parody of this, focusing on the repeated Michael Caine line:  "Are you looking at me because of my bloody hand!?!?!".
This was/is worth many minutes of great laughter, and I do hope they DVD it soon -- both the original film AND the SCTV parody of said.
What other Crawling Hand films are there out there?  
We own both the Raul Julia "Addams Family" movies, which have the wonderful Thing character, who is nothing more than a disembodied hand . . . What else?
peter johnson/denny crane
PSlugworth
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2005, 02:50:50 AM »

Well, Evil Dead II, of course.

On a similar topic, does anybody know that there is actually a condition/syndrome/whatever that causes people to lose control of one of their hands like that?  I remember seeing a segment on it on some news magazine show when I was a kid.  I don't remember much, but I remember a man saying he woke up in the middle of the night and found his left hand trying to gouge his own eye out.

Very creepy.

Post Edited (03-12-05 01:51)

Official Member of the Don Knotts Fan Club.
andrew sylvester dot com
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2005, 03:02:11 AM »

Idle Hands, though not, I guess, a B-movie, but still nice none-theless.

The guy from Final Destination has his hand possessed and havoc ensues.  Also has Seth Green and some other guy as members of the undead who happen to like Burritos.  And it has Jessica Alba in it, which is quite a nice addition.

Zombies, possessed hand running about the place trying to kill people, a nice female lead and zombies.  All in all not a bad combo.  If I recall correctly the guy in charge of the hand movements was the same guy who did Thing from the Addams family movies.  And the cheesy effects were pretty fun too.  I quite enjoyed this teen-comedy/horror flick.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Ozzymandias
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2005, 05:52:59 AM »

Can't think of the name but there is a Christopher Lee movie where a hand crawls after him. He even burns it at one point.
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 08:18:25 AM »

Ozzymandias wrote:

> Can't think of the name but there is a Christopher Lee movie
> where a hand crawls after him. He even burns it at one point.

That's the film you're thinking of.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2005, 08:20:14 AM »

Actually a film with that title....Surprised no one mentioned it.

kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 08:21:18 AM »

Peter Lorre classic.....which I'm also surprised no one has mentioned!

peter johnson
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 01:29:26 PM »

Yes, of course -- Dr. Terrror's House of Horrors -- I was trying to remember that one --
Scott had mentioned The Crawling Hand in another thread, which is what prompted mine --
The Beast With 5 Fingers isn't so much a Crawling Hand movie as it is a Possessed Hand movie, is it?  Now that can be another sub-sub-genre:  Possessed Hand/Possessed Body Part movies!!
Yes, I remember the look of disgust on Christopher Lee's face as he tries to burn that nasty hand in Dr. Terror . . .
I can barely remember the name of that disassociative disease, but I know what you're talking about -- where body parts rebel against the "host".
"Are you looking at me becasue of MY BLOODY HAND!?!?!?" -- really, if you haven't seen Caine do his thang in that Stone picture, you're missing a real pleasure --
peter johnso/denny crane
Scott H.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 02:07:25 PM »

Body parts rebelling against the host? The Doctor Strangelove syndrome! Mein fuhrer! My hand does not what I wish for it to do!

There are actual cases throughout the world of reported "Dr. Strangelove syndrome" referred to having "anarchic" hands/feet/body parts that do not respond to their will. There is another, more scientific name to the disease, that I do not know. Some doctors attribute it to a traumatic incident in the frontal lobe that controls the motor skills. Like a short circuit in the brain that sometimes connects to the body again at random and against the will. Reminiscent of the movie Idle Hands, except there is no demonic possession. Maybe..... Hmmmmm....

-Scott H.
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »

Not a movie, but I remember reading a comic book as a kid (one of those kinda like Twilight Zone or something) with a story about a concert pianist whose hands were 'possessed.'  One was essentially good and the other evil.  While playing a concert, he would whisper to them "you are going too fast" or "good job" etc.  At the end, the evil one killed him.  I always thought this would make a good film short, Outer Limits ep. or something.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 04:59:24 PM »

The severed hand thing is very similar to the killer housecat thing, they jump up in someone's face and wrassle them to the ground, and you keep thinking, "how does it have the leverage to drag that guy down and kill him?" With the cat, I suppose at least it makes sense that it could jump. I think this sort of thing might work better if they'd play up the supernatural element a little, like with mummies.
Mr. Briggs Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 06:05:24 PM »

mad love
waxwork
Mr. Briggs Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 06:09:07 PM »

Oh yeah and the double feature about the small army of hands seperating themselves from various hosts.  the Other story was about killer chattering teeth.
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 08:25:05 PM »

"The Body Politic" from "Quicksilver Highway"?
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 10:44:29 PM »

ulthar wrote:

> Not a movie, but I remember reading a comic book as a kid (one
> of those kinda like Twilight Zone or something) with a story
> about a concert pianist whose hands were 'possessed.'  One was
> essentially good and the other evil.  While playing a concert,
> he would whisper to them "you are going too fast" or "good job"
> etc.  At the end, the evil one killed him.  I always thought
> this would make a good film short, Outer Limits ep. or
> something.
>

That's what you're trying to recall....MAD LOVE was a remake of an earlietr silent called HANDS OF ORLAC, which was remade again in the 50's.

Either way, technically.....the story has nothing to do with a disembodied hand.

Post Edited (03-12-05 21:45)

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Crawling Hand Movies -- « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.