Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:56:39 AM
714434 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battle Royale « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Battle Royale  (Read 2218 times)
lester1/2jr.
« on: December 02, 2001, 10:50:45 AM »

Do you want to be even more of a player than Jay Z and have more power in the film industry than the cast of Oceans Eleven?  I'm not sure about the availability of this feature (Mine was bootlegged off a VCD) but "battle royale" is all that.  "Survivor" meets "Lord of the Flies"...
        It's the future, and a class is chosen to participate in a battle royale, one left standing, set on an island.  they wear necklaces that will explode in three days if someone does not win, forcing them to kill each other.  A hell of a lot more interesting than the last two seasons of Survivor, that's for sure.  Plus, my copy had two short features tacked on at the end.  One a grisly horror story which was sort of "Alive" meets "Blair Witch" and another that had an ancient samurai finds a cell phone and takes advice from the guy on the other end.  
        I haven't seen the Story of Ricky yet.  I had been pretty dissapointed in the Japanese stuff I'd seen, especially Zero Woman.   Don't sleep on this one...
Mofo Rising
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2001, 01:59:33 PM »

I read an excellent write up on this movie in Pulp, and was foolishly waiting for somebody to port it to America.  I don't think this will happen.

Time to get a bootleg, I think.  I notice they're selling all region DVDs on eBay.
Skaboi18
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2001, 07:06:29 PM »

I've been thinking about buying a VCD of this film for a few wks now.  It must be good if it's banned in America!
StatCat
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2001, 08:00:48 PM »

I haven't seen it but I have heard mixed reviews. Other recent Jpaanese films that are fun and that I recommend are wild zero, Junk, and Versus. Versus I definitely recommend if you like fast paced sumurai fighting with guns and swords and with a few zombies thrown in.
lester1/2jr.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2001, 10:58:32 PM »

It (battle royale) was a blockbuster in Japan.  I guess they've been having alot of Columbine type craziness over there, poosibly due to the extreme competitiveness in the schools and workplace.  It struck a chord from what I gather.  If you can find VICE magazine ,which is usually free in record stores and skateshops and such, they have a good piece on the whole business over there.
Joshua
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2001, 03:59:35 PM »

If anyone's interested Spritle's old school anime "www.oldschoolanime.cjb.net" has a fansub version.
Neville
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2001, 12:01:19 PM »

I really like "Lord of flies" and the movie seems to use some ideas ripped off from it. I am glad, frankly, because great ideas should not be left unused. I am looking forward to see this movie.
lester1/2jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2001, 11:27:23 PM »

There is clearly some Lord of the Flies in it, but it takes place over like two and a half dies so it's less about growing tension and more about immediate survival
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Battle Royale « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.