Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:32:57 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Everyone's favorite director gets to remake Death Race 2000 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Everyone's favorite director gets to remake Death Race 2000  (Read 6279 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: March 22, 2005, 06:51:33 PM »

Yes, Paul W.S. Anderson is going to write and direct Death Race 3000. Sounded like he was going to put the emphasis on the race and cut down  on the running over of pedestrians (best part of the original).  This sucks, seeing that Carmageddon is my favorite game.

Check out the article here.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 08:01:31 PM »

Oh, I hope that they have lots of CG gore and bullet time shots, and cars that defy the laws of gravity, and heavy metal music, and I hope it will be PG-13 and that it will have a hip, happenin' cast!
This will rock the Krib dawg!
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:03:05 PM »

*bangs head against desk repeatedly*

Yeah, that's right, the original version had more emphasis on running down pedestrians. There was a very good reason for this: It was the PREMISE OF THE MOVIE. The point of the movie isn't the race, it's the satire of jaded American culture (and how funny it is to watch Sylvester Stallone run over people for not knowing his name). This is like remaking Duck Soup with the mindset "The original put so much focus on the comedy that the war was irrelevant!"

Coincidentally, I just rewatched the original a couple weeks ago. I was expecting the reality TV similarities, but I had completely forgotten the subplot about the president distracting the public from terrorism by blaming it on the French. Spooky.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 11:03:43 PM »

I would remark about Cheeky's knee-jerk reaction, except that he's absolutely right. That's exactly what will happen to this movie. I'm going to go cry now.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
nobody
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 11:13:38 PM »

Wow. I can't believe I missed that news. I knew they were remaking this movie, but I didn't know they gave the director's seat to Anderson. That blows. Anderson and Boll need to disappear.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 11:15:20 PM »

Really, this is the kind of movie that demands a Tarantino to do it properly.

---------------------
Scott H.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 12:22:14 AM »

All you fanboys/girls out there treat Quentin Tarantino like he's some movie demi-god. His movies are exactly what he once directed: pulp and fiction. Not only are they comics, they are cheap and gritty, and are wildly embellished stories.

If you want to watch a gangster film, watch the ones he watched to get his ideas - like Scorcese's or Godard's. If I watched movies all day long working in video store, I bet I could use someone else's ideas to make a movie too. That would be cool.
saintmort
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 01:14:48 AM »

You missed the point

Tarrintino doesn't write Gangster films, he writes the darkest comedies and satires out there.

He's one of the best because like the great dark comedies, most people believe it's suppose to be serious. Another great example of this type of Dark comedy is Fargo. Half the audience was laughing and the other half thought it was rude to be laughing at such horrible "true events"
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 01:20:20 AM »

Aren't those the qualities you'd want in a Death Race 2000 remake?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Steven Millan
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 03:27:12 AM »

I just hope that Anderson is wise enough to have plenty of mucho brutal violence,and the presence of David Carradine(even if it's in a semi-cameo,ala Michael Caine in the horrible "Get Carter" redux),in his vision of the original Roger Corman classic,which would be the only two things that would cause me to drag myself to the theater to see it.
dean

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 03:38:47 AM »

Death Race 2000 is one of my favourite B-Movies.  I now have serious issues in Anderson's line of thinking.  As was mentioned, the movie isn't about the race, but has much different subplots and absolute silliness.  Frankenstien/Carradine rocks, Stallone is good at being a spoilt little cry-baby, the emperor is that guy whose name I can't remember, but I always laugh when I see him, and that reporter is funnily annoying.

And running people over in cars.  Especially old people.  That was the main point.

I am getting a real Rollerball-type vibe as I think of this.  That and the Dean Cain rip off as well [can't remember the name of that one]

I have a feeling its going to turn into a race in which the competitors fight each other instead of running people over.  Since he's big into remaking Video games, my guess is he wanted to adapt Twisted Metal [a vehicular combat game] but couldn't get it sorted properly.

Anyway, I think the Paul Anderson pinata has certainly been flogged to death, so I don't really see the point in stressing about it.  Since we all seem to know what goes on, we may as well wait until its out on VHS/DVD and then proceed to shoot ourselves after watching it.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 06:00:29 AM »

Scott H. wrote:
> All you fanboys/girls out there treat Quentin Tarantino like
> he's some movie demi-god. His movies are exactly what he once
> directed: pulp and fiction. Not only are they comics, they are
> cheap and gritty, and are wildly embellished stories.

Precisely what this story demands. Did you even see the original Death Race 2000? It is a comic book movie. It's cheap and silly and waaaaay over the top. It's a brutal satire, full of dark humour. It's also a cheesy Corman exploitation film of the 70s. This is Tarantino territory, plain and simple.

What, exactly, in the suggestion that Tarantino would be right man for this particular movie, would suggest a "fanboy" (and I ain't) worshipping him as a "movie demigod" as you put it?

Before you lecture other people, make sure you do, in fact, know what you're talking about. I'm kind of picky about that.

Post Edited (03-23-05 10:29)

---------------------
odinn7

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 08:03:03 AM »

What can I say that hasn't already been said? I love this movie and to re-make it with an emphasis on the race....ludicrous. Can you imagine that movie without Stallone running that guy over in the stream for getting his name wrong? Can you imagine it without the old folks home lining up the old people and having the tables turned on them? There was just way too much to this movie that a re-make will completely miss. Damn this world...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 08:20:36 AM »

Man, this is the most reaction I've gotten from a post lately. I pretty much think he'll ruin everything that the original had.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 09:44:01 AM »

You guys are gonna laugh me off the board for this, but I like his work.  I haven't seen Alien vs. Predator yet (though from what I understand it's the story that sucked, not necessarily the directing), but I think his work on Resident Evil was brilliant.  Utterly brilliant.  Event Horizon was good as well, another one where the story could have been better, but the directing was good.  And Soldier with Kurt Russell  was pretty watchable.

And besides, Death Race gave us David Carradine in black leather underpants.  Anderson gave us Milla Jovovich in a red miniskirt.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Everyone's favorite director gets to remake Death Race 2000 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.