Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:51:18 AM
714425 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stargate SG-1 season finale « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stargate SG-1 season finale  (Read 1115 times)
Mr Hockstatter
« on: March 19, 2005, 11:05:09 AM »

Anybody else watch this?  I think it's quite appropriate to bring it up on a bad movie board.  Usually with season finales, you get a big budget extravaganza.  I was really looking forward to seeing ancient Egypt in all its glory and splendor, done the SG-1 way, which I supposed might be pretty cool.  Instead we get two pyramids way off in the background of one scene, and a tattered little tent city.   They apparently did some minor mod's to the Goauld mothership set and used it as the interior of an ancient Egyptian building.  

I also expect something dramatic and exciting in a season finale, but instead we get an outright comedy?  Okay, they made the characters into utter geeks, that was amusing.  That was also the only original idea in the whole show.  

There just wasn't anything to keep the brain occupied as you snickered at the shenanigans taking place.  They gave no hint as to what the team did in the past to mess up the future, so you just didn't have anything to wonder about.  At all.  Richard Dean Anderson is starting to looked p**sed off that he even has to show up for work.  And then there were all the plot holes.  When the bad guys find the time ship, why did the team just give up on it immediately?  Why not at least wait until night and see if they can sneak in or something?  Why is time travel so ridiculously easy?  Why does Carter know how to locate Stargates by assuming they create seismic disturbances, when she's never even seen one?  They learned that in another episdode in an alternate timeline for pete's sake, it makes no sense at all that she'd know that.

Overall, there were a few good chuckles, like when Jackson asks, very suspiciously, what happens if they don't sign the confidentially agreements, and Hammond tells him that then he's free to leave.  But it's one crappy season finale when the best thing you can say about it is that it made you chuckle once or twice.

Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 11:11:46 AM »

Oh yeah, another major plot hole - they go back in time because they find some ancient Egyptian drawing of a ZPM, yet there's no way that drawing could possibly be identified as a ZPM, it's just some object about 6" X 1'.  Any object of those approximate proportions must be a ZMP?  Even if a ZPM is actually about 6" X 2'?  And the detail on it is completely different?

Oh, gimme a break already.

nobody
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 12:18:32 PM »

I'm not a big Stargate (SG-1) viewer... I used to be, somewhat, but once Atlantis started airing it seemed to suck the life out of SG-1. Atlantis was always horrible- and now SG-1 has dropped in quality considerably to match. Both shows are nonstop treasure hunts for the all powerful ZPM's.

I watched both episodes of Atlantis and SG-1 last night as I waited for Battlestar Galactica to air (I had the Scifi Channel running in the background while I tooled around on the net). The first thing I thought to myself was, "Wow, these season finales are terrible- both underbudget and boring to boot." Neither "cliff-hanger" managed to snag me in the slightest.

On the other hand, the new episode of Battlestar Galactica was good. :)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 07:27:20 PM »

The episodes last night were only the first half of the season finales. I would imagine all the  action will be next Friday.  I know what is going to happen, but I won't spoil it. The two episodes are tied together though.

SG-1 has slipped this last year  and I think it is because of the lack of a leader for the team .  Richard Dean Anderson will not be a series regular next year , but may make a guest appearance. Ben Browder will join the cast as SG-1 commander and Beau Bridges will be the new general in charge of the SGC. Louis Gossett will also have a recurring role as a Jaffa leader and Claudia Black will be in a few episodes reprising the guest role she had this year.

Atlantis will be back in contact with earth next year and Mitch Pillegi (Skinner from the X files) will be playing a  Marine Colonel  who butts heads with Sheppard.  Lt. Ford will be reduced to a recurring character  and will be replaced by a new  character from the Pegasus galaxy.

Pardon my geekines for knowing all this stuff, but it's in my nature.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 11:25:06 PM »

I heard something about Bowder being on Stargate.  I think it should be great, really enjoyed his character on Farscape.  The show needs a good shot in the arm, it's really running on empty lately.

Can't wait to hear the pithy Farscape references.   I remember in one of the first Stargate ep's Carter made some comment about McGyvering something together.

Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 11:30:30 PM »

Well, part 2 was much better than part 1.  My only big complaint is that Jack goes through the stargate for the first time and is utterly unimpressed.  Just a "dog and pony" show.  Sigh, how dramatic.  Dude, if you wanna quit the show, quit already.  

What was with the ending?  Was that the alternate reality folks, or the regular folks?  

The ad for the new season was sooooo cool.  Ben Bowder may be the salvation this show needs (Based on the 3 second clip in the ad).  And Lexa Doig is going to be the new doctor?  Oh man.  Crichton and Rommie together on the same show.  Toss in Chiana and I'll be in heaven.

dean

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 04:08:03 AM »

When was the finale/s on for you guys?

I saw both last week sometime [perhaps the 20th or so] and if that's the case then  Ch.7 [the channel that screens Stargate here in Australia] is showing a TV series actually at the same time as the US [which is a pretty big deal here, usually we are a bit behind in most shows, even highly rated ones]

Not only that but before hand? I must be going crazy... anyway...

I liked the finales, they were stupid, meaningless and, well stupid, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  I have been watching this for years, and I've never really noticed big-budget finales and expecting that to happen, so I guess I'm easily pleased.  

Generated a few laughs, and seeing the Sam and Daniel act all geeky was entertaining [Though I guess its not a big stretch for Michael Shanks] and did you notice how Sam kept her hands by her sides pretty much the whole time? Kind of an odd thing to notice, but I don't know why it stuck with me.

These episodes were clearly made for the fans, since there were a lot of inside jokes and references to older, particularly the first episode. ['just because my reproductive organs are on the inside not on the outside' for instance]

Overall I thought this series was pretty fun.  Especially that episode with the Hairdresser, and the utter non-chalant quite stupid [but in a fun way] ending.

My long-suffering girlfriend bought me the season 1 box set the other day, [much to her apparent embarrasment,] and watching the quality of the show back at stage 1 compared to almost a decade later, I have noticed that a significant improvement in general budget, effects and the writing [not story neccessarily, but the delivery of lines etc] so I don't really worry about plot holes and such, since there have been many, many, right from stage one.  I just ignore them and move on.

Also Ch7 just screened the first episode of Atlantis last night for the first time.  So far its ok, but not as good as the original.  I'll wait until a few more episodes before I pass judgement on it.

Ah, perfect timing for this post; this has been a Stargate filled weekend, and I am feeling quite nourished...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »

I thought Atlantis got quite a bit after the first episode.  I don't know if it ever got good, but it's a perfectly pleasant waste of an hour.  The plots really aren't very interesting, but the characters keep it going.  

For SG-1, in America the second part of Mobius was shown March 25.  I've been wanting to get the first few season of SG-1 on DVD.  I understand there's something in the first episode that the Sci-Fi Channel edited out :)
dean

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 12:27:14 PM »

>>>>>there's something in the first episode that the Sci-Fi Channel edited out :)

If I'm detecting a bit of 'nod nod wink wink' then yes, though when it first screened here it was shown in its full blown glory without the cuts.  I'd like to say it was the riveting character subplots or the great special effects that stuck in my head, but a teenager only really remembers nudity I'm afraid...

>>>>>For SG-1, in America the second part of Mobius was shown March 25.

2005?  If so, then why the hell did we get it first??  I don't really understand that one...

Unless we are talking about a different series with the same time-travel to ancient egypt finale and episode names.  Now I just feel priveleged and special!  I always thought we were a season behind, especially since Ch7 puts it on at a late hour [meaning bad rating]

Wonder how that works out...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 05:57:50 PM »

Atlantis was so incredibly unimaginative. They had a f**king clip episode in their FIRST SEASON! That was weak, although the siege was good it wasn't all that good. The problem is that it's pretty much just the SG-1 cookie cutter transposed into a very slightly different situation.

Season 8 was pretty lacklustre... better than 7 but not really that much. Really, the season finale felt like it was around the destruction of the replicators/death of Anubis.

It'll be interesting to see where the Farscape crew take things.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Stargate SG-1 season finale « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.