Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:08:56 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies you like but don't know why « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Movies you like but don't know why  (Read 6591 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 29, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »

Just the other night I was watching X-2 and I started thinking. For some reason I really like that movie and I just can't put my finger on it. My wife says it's because of the women in leather and Rebecca in paint. Yeah, sure I like that but that's not the reason I like the movie. I like other movies and I can tell you what it is about each one that I do like but this one escapes me. I was never a fan of the X-Men comics, the story line is kind of stupid, none of the hotties get naked, no good shoot-outs...I dunno. I will just have to face it that I like the movie and will never know why.
Any of you have any movies that you like but can't figure out why?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Ed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 03:06:56 PM »

Hmm, Groundhog Day with Bill Murray is one of mine.  I just like that film.  Its not my genre, nor am I really a fan of him.
-Ed
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:09:50 PM »

I saw the "Jacket" recently and I don't know why I liked it. Keria Knightley got naked but it was cheap nudtiy were you had to stare really hard and say yeah I think thats a nipple kind of thing so that was not it. Eveything was mediocre but I enjoyed it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:16:28 PM »

I'll be candid and say that there are some movies that I "like" because my wife likes them.  They are movies that I would not go out of my way to watch, but I enjoy watching them with her.  A couple of examples: Pretty Woman and The Cutting Edge.

(Lest you think my wife is only into chick flicks, she also loves a good tons-of-explosions action flick and horror, too.  On our very first date, we watched "Pledge Night." We watch FAR more 'guy' movies than 'chick' movies.)

As for liking a movie and not knowing why, I just boil it down to 'it is fun to watch.'  Very vague, but hey, sometimes they just strike that right nerve.  "A Few Good Men" is like that for me; it has a lot of problems, but it is just a cool flick, too.  Somehow, the 'fun' factor outweighs the little things one notices. Others include "Twister", "The Rock" and "True Lies."  All have holes and other problems, but they are fun.

On the B-side, I like "Mankillers" (a very bad female version of the Dirty Dozen) but cannot put my finger on what I find enjoyable about it.  The acting and dialog are agonizing, a sixth grader could have done better fx and the direction and editing are, well, moronic.  It's just bad.  I mean, the cars in this movie don't have windows or license plates-obviously out of a junkyard.  But, it's fun, too, for SOME reason!

This is why "[insert movie here] is great" "NO it SUCKS" arguements are pointless, imho.  Sometimes, we just don't know why we like what we like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
saintmort
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:41:35 PM »

There's almost too many to name for mine, lol. The Most recent one has been van wilder. I'm not really into the gross out comedies but I loved Van Wilder. The only logical reason I can think of is Ryan Reynolds acting. I think if anyone else played that part I'd totally hate the movie but he had charisma.
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:54:14 PM »

Not a movie, but I always enjoyed Hercules:  The Legendary Journeys.  It was sort of funny, but not very.  Some nice women, but not all that great.  Dunno.  Just utterly brainless and fun.  I like watching people walk through New Zealand I guess.

ulthar

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:42:21 PM »

This reminds me of the morbid fascination I had with that show Viper.  Oh man, was that show agonizingly painful (!!), but there I sat watching it.  Ditto ST Voyager.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Ed
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 11:00:01 PM »

Oddly enough I watched Hercules quite a bit too.  It was well done, for TV and didn't try to be more than a fun show.  
-Ed
Diablo44
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »

Recently the movie "Down Periscope" has been on one of the cable channels a lot. I can remember seeing this on my college cable station when it first came out and something about it just stuck. I'm not a "Frasier" fan so there's no draw with Kelsey Grammer, but every time this stupid movie comes on, I sit and watch it. And there's a billion of those "Saturday/Sunday Afternoon Matinee" type of movies on that I'll watch despite their shortcomings or lack of definitive qualities to like. "Ice Pirates". "Strange Brew." "Clash of the Titans".
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 08:48:31 PM »

You know, for some reason I always like to watch the old 80's series In the Heat of the Night. To be honest the acting is not great (neither are some of the actors), but I like watching Archie Bunker as a southerner. It has a bit of social consciousness.

I think I also like it because I'm from a small southern town and they filmed the series in one (rather than somewhere in California). I had a certain realness because of where they filmed it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 07:43:39 PM »

I consider Omega Man a good movie, but nowhere near good enought to justify how much I like it. When I hear it's going to be on TV, I get all excited and practically start jumping up and down.

ulthar: My whole family had a viper complex about "The Equalizer". It had one of my favorite qualities in crap; signs of frustrated artistic ambition.
odinn7

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 07:48:42 PM »

Thinking about it, there are a few other movies that I like but I don't know why...but I'm not telling for fear of being laughed at :- )

dean

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 10:29:06 PM »

Odinn7 said
>>>>>Thinking about it, there are a few other movies that I like but I don't know why...but I'm not telling for fear of being laughed at :- )<<<<

Aw.... Come on, we are all here because of our taste in bad movies!!

If we were to pass judgement on somebody's choice in movie they enjoyed, well, shame on us.  We are the dregs of the film industry, the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.  Who are we to judge??

[I just really want to know so I can laugh and laugh and laugh...]

:-p

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ulthar

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 10:34:23 PM »

Man, if I can admit that I watched Viper on tv week in and week out, I doubt there's ANY movie you admit to liking that would endanger you of being laughed at.

Really, this kinda like a "I watch crap movies and tv" support group.  "Hi, I'm ulthar, and I watched Viper."  I didn't really like it tho, so I'm wondering if it really belongs on this thread......

(Hey cat, get back into that bag).

--Real Genius
odinn7

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 08:44:24 AM »

Ok...
Hi, my name is Odinn7 and I like crappy movies...

Some are just plain bad and some are well, bad...

Charlies Angels...I don't know why. It's certainly not for the 3 women because even though I wouldn't actually say "no" to any of them, none of them really do much for me. The movie is way over the top, ridiculous, and poorly acted...go figure.

The Devils Rain...What a horribly rancid piece of crap.

Tourist Trap...Chuck Connors as a wacky murderer? The only saving grace is Tanya Roberts and she keeps her clothes on.

Ok, I'm done spilling my guts to you...I can't take too much more of this inner revelation crap, I'm starting to break up.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Movies you like but don't know why « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.