Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:39:06 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Director's cut of EQUINOX! Does anybody know about this! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Director's cut of EQUINOX! Does anybody know about this!  (Read 1971 times)
Chris K.
« on: December 04, 2001, 05:57:24 PM »

I just found out that their is a Director's Cut of the film EQUINOX (1967) in which it's original title was called THE EQUINOX: A JOURNEY INTO THE SUPERNATURAL as well as having some stop-motion sequences not seen in the theatrical version, a different music score, longer running time, and not containing the character Asmodeus!

If this is true, then both "Director's Cut" and "Theatrical Cut" need a DVD treatement. Though scarce rumors of Criterion releasing EQUINOX began circulating, Criterion has not planned on releasing EQUINOX at all. Anchor Bay, your services are needed!

Questions or comments?
Gerry
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2001, 06:12:28 PM »

You're probably talking about Dennis Muren's original student film, before it was recut and portions refilmed (with the same actors) for theatrical release in 1970.  I don't know how available the original student film is, but I would certainly be interested in seeing it.  A DVD treatment would be nice, with a commentary by Muren.

I reviewed EQUINOX for my web site a few months back.  You can read the review (spoiler free) here if anyone is interested:

Gerry's EQUINOX review
Vermin Boy
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2001, 06:17:51 PM »

Wow... Call me crazy, but I've always had a soft spot for Equinox. It's a nice combination of low budget and inventiveness, and it takes itself so seriously that it never fails to send me into convulsive giggles late at night (like when the professor's house is destroyed by a GIGANTIC STOP-MOTION LAND OCTOPUS!). I'd love to see a DVD release of this-- Commentaries on movies like these are always a treat, and having both cuts would just make it perfect (though I can't imagine the film without Ranger Asmodeous-- "Why, I just remembered something... That's another name for the Devil!")

Oh, yeah, and I'm pretty sure those rumors are true-- I've seen several listings giving the films two years of release at once. Apparently, the new scenes were added when the film was picked up for distribution by Jack "The Blob" Harris.
Chris K.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2001, 07:15:16 PM »

Funny, but not many people take EQUINOX seriously. And that's fine, they are entitled to their own opinions. But I took EQUINOX seriously, and that's what made the movie for me. When taking it seriously, you do get more out of it. It is a serious film and it's not a B-picture. True, it may be cheap but that does not make it a B-movie. Those who don't take it seriously will find it "bad".

Yeah, EQUINOX was a student film with amateur actors and a low budget, but so what? Granted, the acting was nothing near sub-par, but at least they COULD ACT! In the beliefs of Herschell Gordon Lewis, as long as they can remember their lines and perform with no problems then you got yourself some actors who can act and not demand for this and that in order to perform. But, you really can't compare EQUINOX with any of the crappy blockbuster features like THE PATRIOT or PEARL HARBOR for God's sake.

In retrospect, I found EQUINOX to be an A+ feature with great effects, interesting storyline, OK acting, colorful photography, and just well made in general. EQUINOX just shows that you don't need big bucks to make a entertaining feature, you just need some faithful actors and a faithful crew. And they had that!
joe
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2001, 11:33:13 AM »

I heard something about it. I love this movie and I can't imagine it without Asmodeus. I love the line in the cave with the crazy guy running through the cave and the guy, I think his name was Dave just says, " well, let's follow him" I saw this movie on the big screen in a theater, then saw it on AmC by myself, and it's definitlely alot better when there's a crowd watching. Remember Dr. Waterman's notes? Dave sure did
joe
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2001, 03:26:38 PM »

Good news for soemone. Ebay has the director's cut for 15$. If I diddint need money, i'd snatch this up, but one of you lucky guys can get it.
chris
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2001, 09:52:53 PM »

I believe you can order the director's cut with a few bonus features on VHS off of blackestheartmedia.com
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Director's cut of EQUINOX! Does anybody know about this! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.