Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:57:54 PM
714477 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Upcoming "doom" film--Predictions? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Upcoming "doom" film--Predictions?  (Read 2720 times)
Cheecky-Monkey
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:36:09 AM »

Based on the one picture that's been released, I have to say it really looks quite cheesy, but from what I understand the creature effects, from none other than Stan Winston studios, are mostly old-school animatronic effects. At the very least, hopefully the film will be an enjoyable effects romp.

But what are your predictions?
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 07:14:46 AM »

It will suck:

A. Not set on Mars

B. No space marines

C. No gate to hell

I dread the release of this film.  I'm sure it'll be packed with CGI considering the creature FX that the film would require.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 10:34:49 AM »

I'm inclined to agree. The games have a pretty well developed storyline, and they're not using it. That's a big mistake, as far as I'm concerned.

Judged on its own merits, it might be OK, but it won't be Doom.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 02:22:10 PM »

To Skaboi--

Read what I said.
THERE WILL BE NO CGI.
This is coming directly from the star of the film, the rock.
Read this here:

http://canmag.com/news/4/3/737

In an interview with writer dave Callaham, he said that he added something needed to make a film work in most cases, something I'm asuming the game didn't have--character development.

Now I'm no video game fan (I bought a game cube last year for $100, played two games and haven't used it since--That's all my video game experience), but hopefully at least it will be a film for us fans of the good ol' animatronic effects we don't get enough of these days to enjoy.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:20:51 PM »

'character development' is usually short-hand for 'soap opera'

The game had decent character development.   It sketched out a basic character and motivations and enough background and let that character loss in an evnvironment  It didn't need characted development because the atmosphere was so engaging.  A movie with good atmosphere can get away with minimal character development.

Interesting that a game franchise that keeps pushing the limits of computer hardwar would be down with no CG.

I can't see doing  really good cyberdemon or baron of hell or cacodemon without going CG,  I can't see doing 'DOOM' without those bad guys.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 05:35:17 PM »

Hey, your entitled to your own opinion, but I'm just saying you shouldn't focus on what's bad and look forward to the good.
Just to let you know, Fearless Freep, after doing a brief google image search of the creatures you listed above, I doubt those ones will appear in the film--it's a viral mutation (cough* Resident Evil *cough), not demons, so we're not likely to be seeing those beasties.
I for one am looking forward to the monster effects, if nothing else.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 06:27:51 PM »

So, the high expectations are because it is done without the hated CGI, in spite of the fact that we know they are thoroughly butchering the story.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 08:06:44 PM »

So, the high expectations are because it is done without the hated CGI, in spite of the fact that we know they are thoroughly butchering the story.

To each their own, I guess.

=======================
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 11:24:35 PM »

I never understood why they change video game plots so much when they make a transition to the movies. I thought maybe they try to reach a wider audience but most of the games they made into movies already have simple plots. Like Resident Evil game had a simple and much better plot (thats not saying much either) than the movie. A bunch a special police officers stuck in a creepy mansion with zombies and other creatures. How could you go wrong?

As for Doom they took everything that made Doom and stripped it. So far it looks like a train wreck story and charater wise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 05:35:47 AM »

Your missing my point. I don't
have high expectations for the film, though I am interested in seeing it. A film that uses Stan Winston's creatures over CG sounds promising to me, though the plot does sound cheezy. But hey, some times cheeziness adds to the fun.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 07:22:59 AM »

No CGI?  That's a worse move than changing the story of the game.

I'm not a big fan of CGI.  As a matter of fact, I've always been a supporter of latex creature fx rather than CGI.

But, lately I've begun to see the upside of CGI in film.  It's becoming more and more seamless and I'm actually starting to like it.  

This movie will not work without CGI.  If I'm not mistaken, the script will have The Rock being infected by the virus and turning into a "pinky" like creature from the games.  I can see no way this will work with latex without looking completely cheesy.  I have the utmost confidence in Stan Winston - The Guy Is A Genius.   I just feel that sometimes CGI is needed in some films.

Now Cheecky-Monkey, I know you loathe CGI.  So, do me a favor.  Go watch Sin City and Sky Captain back to back and then tell me that CGI if done correctly is a bad thing.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 02:24:14 PM »

I've seen both those, sorry but I still hate CG in live action movies.
It should be used for cartoons--films like Shrek, Ice Age, Monsters inc., etc. all had fablous animation. But putting it in movies the way people like George Lucas, Steve Sommers, etc. do, it's putting good effects artists out of work.
CG should only be used if there is absolutely no way to achieve the desired effect practically. Using it for creatures...that's just gotta stop!
JC
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 06:29:31 PM »

It's gonna be bad.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 02:05:51 PM »

CG should only be used if there is absolutely no way to achieve the desired effect practically. Using it for creatures...that's just gotta stop!

Animatronics should only be used for all-animatronic movies like those Rankin/Bass Christmas specials.  Using if for creatures in live-action movies has got to stop; they just look so fake

=======================
Cheecky-Monkey
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 02:46:09 PM »

Was that supposed to be a joke?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Upcoming "doom" film--Predictions? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.