Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:43:35 AM
714434 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936)  (Read 940 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: April 13, 2005, 12:02:34 AM »

THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE (1936) - Another good Errol Flynn movie about the famous calvary charge during the Crimean War. TCM played it tonight. The massacre at the fortress after the truce was quite brutal for this era of film as children and women are massacred along with soldiers by the river. Though the film may be innacurate you might like THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE (1968) a little better as the uniforms and other things are more authentic.

Post Edited (04-13-05 00:03)

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 10:47:27 AM »

Good One, Scott. THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE makes a good triple feature with GUNGA DIN and BEAU GESTE.

Yeah, like most "historical" flicks of the day, it was just an excuse to build an adventure/romance around an historical event. But, it's got Errol Flynn in his prime and Olivia De Havilland looks great.

For an even more far fetched example of Hollywood history, check out SANTA FE TRAIL, also with Flynn and co-starring Ronald Reagan. The "history" makes your head hurt, but the action is pretty good.

By the way, The Errol Flynn Signature Series is available on DVD on the 18th!! I believe it includes THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, CAPTAIN BLOOD, THE SEA HAWK, THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX, and my favorite, DODGE CITY!!! I'm counting the days, my friend, for I am a movie geek!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 01:03:10 PM »

I knew that one would get you to post again Deej. Where have you been? It was my first viewing of this fine film. I've seen the rest of the Flynn movies you mentioned except THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX. Wouldn't have looked up some of them if it wasn't for you. Most of them I've only saw recently over the past two years.

Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 12:12:00 AM »

Scott wrote:

> I knew that one would get you to post again Deej. Where have
> you been? It was my first viewing of this fine film. I've seen
> the rest of the Flynn movies you mentioned except THE PRIVATE
> LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX.

Scott, you know me too well. Flynn is definitely one of my favorites, a great action hero and, IMO, a largely under-rated actor. I've been around, though not as much as I'd like, busy with work and wife, and kids, but I manage to pop in occasionally.

THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX is pretty much a departure for Flynn. It is a costume drama, but with far less action and adventure than the usual Errol Flynn film. Mostly it's Bette Davis' show. She plays Elizabeth I, and Flynn is, of course, the Earl Of Essex. While Flynn doesn't do much swashbuckling, he does a fine job of acting, and stands up well opposite Bette Davis.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 03:29:24 PM »

I have seen it and enjoyed it. While it is not my favorite cavalry charge, I prefer the one in "Young Winston" and the slo-mo one in "Waterloo." It was exciting enough.

While only one stuntman was killed during the charge. And he only died because he fell on his sword, which was unsheathed. And this, when they had been told to keep their swords in their sheaths. Enough horses were killed or so badly injured, that they had to be put down, that the way a horse fell during a film, was changed. During the film and previously, most horse falls were caused by the wire running-w, which caused a horse to trip. After this, because of the protests, most horse falls were caused by trained horses who were taught to fall on a cue by their rider.

As for Errol Flynn himself, if someone has not already seen the special on him, shown on TCM, I highly recommend it. As it does show why he became such a big star. It was his screen magnetism which is evident from his screen test for his first film, "In the Wake of the Bounty." It is because he had good directors and cinematographers, which made him look good. It was because he was surrounded by good actors, including Olivia De Havilland and Alan Hale. And it was because you are only as good as your opponent in the film. And he faced some of the best.

Basil Rathbone "Captain Blood"
Again Rathbone "The Adventures of Robin Hood"
Bruce Cabot "Dodge City"
Vincent Price "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex"
Henry Daniell "The Sea Hawk"
Ward Bond "Gentleman Jim"
Robert Douglas "The Adventures of Don Juan"

And it is unfortunate his Italian backers let him down in his effort to make "William Tell." It may never have been his best film, but from the colour footage of it that remains, it looks like it may have been one of his better films.

Scott

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 09:21:25 PM »

WATERLOO is one of my favorites. Flynn was involved with a lot of good films and actors as you mentioned.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.