Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:52:50 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Part 4's of a series « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Part 4's of a series  (Read 1875 times)
Scott H.
« on: April 20, 2005, 04:20:23 AM »

I recently stumbled across this little dilemma while browsing the IMDb for research purposes and was on the Indiana Jones #4 site. A question posed in that message board asked if there has ever been a good PART 4 to a series of films.  Quite honestly, I couldn't think of any. How many part fours are there anyways? I mean, what franchise of movies has been that commercially successful to reach the point where a part four has been made?  And then has it been good enough to be acclaimed critically?  That is an impressive feat just to consider.

Oh wait, here are two.... duh:

Star Wars and
Star Trek

Seriously, how many more are there?
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 06:49:59 AM »

I doubt you would call these good but off the top of my head:

Friday the 13th
Halloween
Lethal Weapon
Rocky

I'm sure there's more if you sit and think about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 06:55:30 AM »

Star Trek was about the only one I could think of off the top of my head. Maybe the James Bond films, although they aren't really sequels in the strictest sense.

Slasher films might be considered. Many consider Friday the 13th: Part 6 to be the best of the series. The fourth wasn't bad, and was at least successful enough for them to make the really crappy Part 5. But slasher flicks, in their day, were almost a different animal.

Certainly, most series never get past three movies, or the fourth is a stinker. I recall that over at Jabootu, Ken did a nice piece a while back on the law of diminishing sequels as it applied to the Jaws franchise. A very good read.

By the way, this is an interesting topic, one I don't think has come up here before.

Post Edited (04-20-05 06:56)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Diablo44
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 09:29:47 AM »

Rocky IV was the only one that jumped to mind that had any commercial success, but critically the reception was tepid at best.  

"Superman IV: The Quest for Peace" was just sad. And while it might not be your taste, the fourth "Toxic Avenger" installment, "Citizen Toxie: The Toxic Avenger IV" continues Troma's most successful franchise.

Steve Guttenberg's swan song in the "Police Academy" movies was a 4th. "Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol". This was the LAST Police Academy movie that I could sit through and not throw things at the screen.

Rob
The KO Picture Show
raj

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 10:24:47 AM »

Gee, the first Part 4 that came to my mind was Deathstalker IV:  Match of Titans.  And I haven't seen it yet, though reviews of it aren't very good.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

Slaughterhouse Five was pretty good.
(I'm kidding)

---------------------
Menard
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 12:04:15 PM »

What about the fourth Dirty Harry movie, SUDDEN IMPACT? Unfortunately, they had to follow that up with THE DEAD POOL and prove that even Dirty Harry has his limits.

Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 12:17:09 PM »

Bride of Chucky was the fourth in the Child's Play series.  About the best one I can think of.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 12:51:05 PM »

The fourth Godzilla movie is Godzilla vs. Mothera and that's among my favorites.

Whatever movie Zombie 4 is it's not going to be as good as Zombi 2 (the first one done by Fulci)

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
odinn7

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 01:20:57 PM »

Hey now, don't be talking crap about Dirty Harry...come to think of it though, the Dead Pool was pretty weak.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Menard
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 02:30:29 PM »

ZOMBIE 4: AFTER DEATH is the movie Dave, and you are so right. It is really bad.

Menard
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 02:35:03 PM »

Oh no. I would never talk crap about Dirty Harry. It is unfortunate, though, that movie, THE DEAD POOL, used a character with the same name. I mean, could you have ever imagined Harry running from a remote controlled car? Not Harry. (:

MasterBlaster
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 03:31:41 PM »

Zombie 4's "book of the dead" is a must see. That must have been the laziest prop department of all time.
Mr. Briggs Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 03:53:49 PM »

Land Before Time

Bleecccch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 05:33:22 PM »

Mr. Briggs Inc. wrote:
> Land Before Time

Aren't they up to something like 11 of those? Scary.

---------------------
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Part 4's of a series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.