Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:07:08 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  C3: 7 minute preview of the new Star Wars movie « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: C3: 7 minute preview of the new Star Wars movie  (Read 4840 times)
Alan Smithee
« on: April 26, 2005, 12:02:39 AM »

Say what you want about SW today and the prequels, but from the stand point of pure spectacle and summer popcorn nonsense "Revenge of the Sith" should be one hell of an entertaining movie. If you rule out the acting and dialogue (such as it is), and go by the  visuals (and action) alone , it should be worth the price of admission. And the acting (maybe not so much the dialogue) appears to be "better" this time around.

There is a flurry of bootlegged videos of the 7 minute preview that was featured at the recent SW celebration appearing on the 'net today (I don't have a direct link) and judging from what I saw, RotS should make up for whatever shortcomings the previous movies had and then some.
Wence
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 10:43:37 AM »

Have you seen this bad General (don´t know his name)? What the F+++ is that?!
He walks like a crippled vulture or something like that. This figure is typical for the new Episodes - it is made for kiddies and in the same style like this goddamned Jar Jar Mutation. Just a thoroughly embarrassing "bad guy"...

So I must admit, I´m already disappointed by Episode 3 - nevertheless I´m going to watch it in the cinema.

And that with the action/popcorn nonsense: as a former SW-fan it´s a pretty cold comfort that it contains more (brachial CGI-)action
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 11:51:02 AM »

I fully expect this movie will contain everything I've been hoping to see since the prequels were announced in the 90s.

I can agree that Jar Jar is a horrible character in every regard, the CGI has been overdone, the movies have been dumbed down, overmerchandised and "kiddified" to an extent, and there was the unforgivable stupidity of the Midichlorians, but none of these things have been enough to spoil the movies entirely for me.

Most of my disappointment has come from knowing what will happen and not seeing enough of it in the first two movies. The clone wars, the old Star Wars style, the big ships, character origins, Vader's fall and disfigurement, the emergence the classic Star Wars universe - all of this has been witheld and/or doled out sparingly.

But, all of this stuff has to happen at some point, so the third movie must be loaded with it. It does make sense. I've said it before - look at the trilogy not as three movies, but as a single movie in three acts. Each movie has fulfilled its purpose, and the third is where it all comes together. We're just not used to sequels being presented that way. Even the original Star Wars only really started taking that approach with ESB. The first was made as pretty much a stand-alone movie, since there was no guarantee it wouldn't be the last. This one was never intended to be anything but one story in three acts, something that only recently has become acceptible.

The Lord of the Rings, although its story simply stops abruptly at the end of each movie, is much more accepted, because we knew the story already, and knew what should be in each movie. And yes, it is an all-around better set of movies than the new Star Wars trilogy has been so far. But, Star Wars has the disadvantage of the fans already knowing what will happen, but not exactly when or how. A lot more room for disappointment when the first two movies do little but set the stage and move everybody toward where they need to be. But, that is their function. The climax, the answers, the big confrontations come in the third act.

I'm remaining optimistic about Episode III. I think it's foolish to write off the final act, just because the best parts (parts we know are coming) didn't come in the first two.

Post Edited (04-26-05 13:35)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Wence
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 06:48:52 PM »

"kiddified" - that´s the point. lol

Sure your´re right with your view on the fact that the audience already knew the plot of LOTR whereas the new SW-parts are kind of a surprise.

I have no problem with that. I have a problem with the style they present this plot.
For example: I have no problem with a story about young Anakin Skywalker. I have a problem with a 5-years-old little sucker wining "pod-races" (nothing against kids but he´s just a pain in the ass), I have a problem with DartMaul looking like Satan (he´s evil!) and all these Marchmallow-optics in the new SWs.

Hm, maybe I am simply too old to be fascinated by this new style of action-cinema.  Don´t know...
DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 07:43:09 PM »

> But, all of this stuff has to happen at some point, so the third movie
> must be loaded with it.

That might be exactly what could make it suck. Imagine if they'd blown up the first and second death star in the same movie, revealed who's related to each other and what would become of Han Solo all in the same movie... A big part of what sucked about the "first" two movies for me is that they squished up the backstory so that everything seemed to be happening in a very brief timespan, which isn't the impression I'd gotten before from the way people reffered to the Clone Wars and how archaic the Jedi religion was.

Star Wars III: Return of the Attack of the Phantom Spoiler:
http://www.spedro.com/nf_stiii.html
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 07:56:50 PM »

I don't think the story is squished up, it takes place over a twenty year span.

I think the only problem with the first two is that everyone was too distracted hating Jar-Jar to pay attention to Palpatine's manipulations in the background.  Anakin has been no more of a whiny-ass than Luke was and Jar- Jar wasn't anymore annoying than C3PO.

I guess I don't get worked up over the prequels because I didn't see the originals as a child. I have only seen Eps 1 & 2 twice each. I have seen Star Wars at least 30 times, probably 20 of those in the theater. I remember when my wife and I were going together in 1981 and we were looking for a movie to go to, Empire was still in theaters and she asked if I had seen it and  I said only 7 or 8 times.  The LOTR movies are the only thing I have deemed worthy of watching more than once in a theater in 20 years.

I'll probably like this last one a lot.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Theef
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2005, 08:07:08 PM »

Somebody said Darh Maul looked like satan and he was boring or something.....I don't remember what it said exactly....but I thought he was the only good thing in the Pantom menace...I mean red double blade light saber,wearing black robe,looking evil,horns/thorns (whatever) in his forehead .....and those sweet moves...man.....that's how I'd think someone who practiced the way of the force (whatever) should move...not like Samuel L Jackson or Anakin(haydensen is it?)fake ass martial arts thing...they really suck....I was so bored with that first movie and then Darth Maul came in...i started to feel some hope that the end wouldn't suck as much as the first 3 quarters of it....and then...almost right after those thoughts.he get split in two...and then the annoying anakin kid "hold on r2...I'm flying ti-hi ti-hi..itä's on automatic pilot..ti-hi ti-hi"......i just wanted to die.
nobody
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2005, 08:31:43 PM »

I agree. I thought Darth Maul was the only redeemable part of Episode One. It's too bad he was only in the movie for a collective 5 minutes, max.
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2005, 10:11:23 PM »

Darth Maul reminded of Bobo Fett from the old Star Wars flims. Was in the films for like 20 mins max but popular as hell. Usually they have bigger parts in the other Star War stuff, like the comics or the novels.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2005, 07:00:00 AM »

Funny, I was just driving through the city a couple of days ago, and came up behind a minivan with the licence plate DRTHMAUL, and an Imperial crest stuck to the rear window. Couldn't help but think that getting chopped in half really settled him down.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Theef
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2005, 11:13:19 AM »

speaking of Boba Fett..have you heard the news about a new live action Tv-show based on the time between Revenge of the Sith and A new hope. Some characters from the original trilogy is supposed to be in it. Man...i've wished for a live action boba fett series about him bountyhunting and stuff for a long time...But it may not even be about him,or even include him at all...i'm just spekulating...If you don't believe me check out Aintitcoolnews.com for more info.
Theef
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 02:15:55 PM »

or check this link for more star wars new tv-series:

http://www2.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270355&obj_id=48637
Master Blaster
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 02:42:07 PM »

His design was originally intended for one of the many council guys in the long boring congress scenes if I remember correctly. I liked Darth Maul. I thought he worked because he was kindof an opposite to Darth Vader. Darth Vader was always somewhat stoic and immovable where as Darth Maul was all p**sed and jumping around like a maniac.
Theef
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 06:47:52 PM »

Yeah..i know...but he died in the first movie so the chances to let him star in the new tv-series are very slim (even thought he was very cool....maybe even cooler than Boba Fett)
Alan Smithee
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 11:22:05 PM »

Dunno. Perhaps Maul was cloned?
Lol.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  C3: 7 minute preview of the new Star Wars movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.