Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:11:23 AM
714505 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Transformers: The Live-Action Movie « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Transformers: The Live-Action Movie  (Read 3038 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 26, 2005, 10:24:58 AM »

Noticed this when I was checking out some of the links in other posts. Looks like it's planned for the fall of '06. Almost seems like a dream of my early high-school years come true. I was a big fan back around '84-'87 or so. Never owned a Transformer, but watched the show, saw the movie and read the comics.

I just hope they go back to the original story for the movie, since the latest incarnations are really bad. I've tried to watch them, but it ain't easy. And I really hope it's handled as a straight sci-fi adventure, and not written off as strictly a kids' movie. Something like TF should be as much for the parents as the kids. A big part of the appeal is that kids will want to see it, and it's familiar to the 30-somethings who pay for the tickets. I, for one, intend to buy a ticket.

Of course, after being initially pleased with this news, I read further. It will be a Dreamworks production, with Spielberg executive producing. OK, that could be a good thing. It at least means there are some resources behind this picture, even if the fall release suggests more kid-friendly entertainment than summer blockbuster. Could still be big.

Then I read further. They want Michael Bay to direct. Uh, OK. I've liked some of his movies, even if the most recent ones have been crap. He's not bad at straight action-adventure, and having him at the helm does suggest a more adult-oriented picture. Still optimistic. Maybe a bit less so.

Then I read further. The screenplay is being written by the writer of Catwoman.

Noooooooooo!

Honestly, is there something in the water in Hollywood that makes the suits take a good idea, one with a lot of fan expectations, and then put some of the worst people in charge of it? There must be, because it happens a lot. Or are they from some Bizarro world in which Catwoman and Pearl Harbor are good movies?

I'm still optimistic, but very, very uneasy.

Post Edited (04-26-05 11:59)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:46:44 AM »

OK everyone, listen here...I'm so sick of seeing people put down Catwoman. Sure the story sucked, it was over-acted, and the special effects looked like they were done by gradeschoolers. Consider this, however...If they had gotten a better script, better actors, better effects artists, and a better director...well then it MIGHT have been a good movie.

Seriously...

I've never been a fan of the Transformers but my wifes cousin is a huge fan of the originals. He has toys, pictures, statues from the show. He has been saying they should make a movie for the past 5 years or so. He will be over the edge when he hears there may be a movie...I just hope he isn't disappointed when it's released.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 07:02:16 AM »

Bachelor cousin?

---------------------
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 07:23:30 AM »

He's 22 but he's living with a woman and I just don't know how she puts up with him. He's almost obsessed with this and Superfriends, Thundercats, He-Man...I could go on but I won't.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Theef
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 06:52:02 PM »

"Transformers: The Live-Action Movie "....wow...cool...................
"screenplay is being written by the writer of Catwoman"...ok..maybe not.
Eirik
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 07:37:25 PM »

"Or are they from some Bizarro world in which Catwoman and Pearl Harbor are good movies?"

I honestly don't know what you have to do to get writing jobs in Hollywood, but there HAS GOT TO BE enought talent in this country so that the studios would never ever ever find themselves having to offer another job to the person who wrote Catwoman if they didn't want to.

I mean is the guy somebody's kid or something?  Maybe he's just really good at some kind of sex act that I care not to try to imagine.
Theef
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 02:12:13 PM »

uh..ok.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 02:50:01 PM »

Spielberg is involved in this, but I don't know if that's a guarantee that it will be any good. It could be, but the jury's out for me until I see something about the script they end up with.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Theef
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »

I hope he doesn't do the same mistake he did with minority report...Im mean i love the movie and the theme and that it's based on Dick's books and all...but theres one scene that just kills the mood and everything for me...it's when Peter Stormare and his nurse or whatever star singing a childrens tune in swedish....since most of you have no idea what he's saying you might think it's kinda cool...it's not...I understand the words and it ruins it for me....but then again I can't imagine Optimus Prime singing...so...uh...nevermind.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 06:41:33 AM »

Yeah, two different kinds of story. I doubt it's going to be anything like Minority Report. And you're right - for those of us who don't understand Swedish, the song probably wasn't a problem. I barely noticed it.

I wouldn't say that Spielberg's involvement is necessarily a guarantee of a good movie, since he's been pretty hit-and-miss in recent years. Still, it can be taken as encouraging, in that the movie probably won't be done half-assed. If the Transformers is going to work at all, it has to be a big movie, loaded with action and convincing effects. If it's going to fail, it will probably be because of bad writing, too many cooks in the kitchen, or some other such thing.

Speaking of which, John Rogers shares blame for Catwoman with three other writers and a crappy director, and it was a bad idea to begin with. Could be he's all right.

Having found better info on the Transformers, it looks like Rogers is sharing writing credits with Tom DeSanto, who executive produced the two X-Men films, as well as Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci,  who have worked on Alias, Jack of All Trades and Hercules: The legendary Journeys, among other things. It also looks like the story is based on the original Transformers TV series. That's much more encouraging news.

Post Edited (05-01-05 10:02)

---------------------
Wence
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2005, 09:15:53 AM »

What does that mean "Live-Action-Movie"?  the same effects like in this no-budget "VR Troopers"-Series?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 10:09:53 AM »

That's not the title. It doesn't have one yet, as far as I know.

Live action means what it means - not a cartoon. I suspect the Autobots and Decepticons will be mostly CGI, but there will be real, live people on screen with them.

---------------------
Theef
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 12:30:22 PM »

what? No "real" robots?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 02:16:51 PM »

Don't know. This thing is in the very early stages, so we can only speculate. There might be some animatronics. I hope there are, but this is probably one of those projects that couldn't be done without a lot of CGI. Doesn't bother me, as long as it's good and well integrated.

---------------------
Wence
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 02:48:49 PM »

They should forgot about CGI-effects! All they have to do is to let two guys put on Transformers-rubber-costumes and wrestle against each other, just like in these Godzilla-Movies - some model houses around (getting stomped in the fight).

Ok, sounds like this would be a pretty bad production
- so much the better, he he...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Transformers: The Live-Action Movie « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.