Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:12:20 AM
714396 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bizarre shows you saw as a kid. . . « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bizarre shows you saw as a kid. . .  (Read 9934 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« on: May 16, 2005, 12:03:47 AM »

. . . but aren't sure they actually exist.

Another thread on memories as a kid.  In this case, shows you are sure you saw but nobody else remembers.  I mean shows you saw when you were very young.

I remember one show which I think was on PBS.  All I remember was that kid was in a normal playground.  He goes into some room which is nothing but a blue screen.  All that is in the room is the kid and a giant pair of disembodied lips which talk to the kid.  That's it.  Nobody remembers this but me, but I'm sure I saw it.

Another one is that show YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION.  I remember one episode where they are in the kid's normal bedroom, and it comes out that they are all on an alien spaceship.  I'm the only one that remembers that one as well.

I'm positive I've seen these as television shows.  The only reason I'm not sure they exist is because nobody else has ever corroborated seeing them and the fact that I was so very young when I saw them.  I mean young enough as to where memory itself was a new thing.

I think it's because television shows are so transitory, especially kid shows if they never catch on.  Most movies are shown quite a few times, even the worst ones, an popular shows are seen by everyone.  Television that never catches on may never be seen by anybody but a few.  So what to say about a bad television show that was only seen by a few people, and what if one of those people was just a young kid?

These sort of thoughts may not fill me with some sort of existential dread, but every once in a while they keep me up at night.  Tell me I'm not the only one who remembers shows that may never have existed.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
odinn7

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 08:18:47 AM »

Much of my memory as a child is a mess so I can't trust it for obscure details such as this. Bigger details I'm sure of but I can't completely trust my memory from early days. I can recall things I did or saw that nobody else remembers. Did it really happen? I don't know.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Master Blaster
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 01:27:35 PM »

I used to watch you cant do that on television when I was a kid. It was on Nickilodeon back in the day. Apparently Iggy Pop played a character on that show.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 03:31:22 PM »

I remember watching a scene in a movie that my Mom was watching where a lady was lying on her side with her back to the camera.  A bunch of other women, possibly in prison, were argueing or something.  One of them, the leader of one of the factions I think, stabbed her in the lower back with knitting needles.  She did not jump or bleed, so she may have already been dead.

I saw this several times, but I have no idea what the movie was.  I was probably around five, which would have made it around 1970 or so.  The few people I've mentioned this to had no clue what I was talking about.

Another show I recall with fond memories, that I KNOW existed but seems to be fairly obscure, is UFO.  I loved that show.  I saw it in a DVD catalog last year and tried to convince my wife to get it.  Alas, we didn't, and I'll probably never see it again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mitch McAfee
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 03:50:09 PM »

For years I had memories of watching a daily TV show hosted by Vincent Price. (This was around the mid 1970's). It was set in an old castle & featured a variety of spooky characters. I could never really recall exactly what each episode was about - just a hazy memory with Vincent Price & a castle. But I do know that I'd race home from school every day to watch it, what ever it was!

So after years of asking friends & family about this odd little show - where nobody knew what the hell I was talking about & they probably thought I was making it all up - I finally found this online http://www.frightenstein.com/main.html

Anyone else remember FRIGHTENSTEIN ?
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 04:48:06 PM »

You Can't Do That On Television is an old Canadian show from the early 80s. I don't recall Iggy Pop being on it, but Alanis Morrisette was one of the regular kids for a while. Pretty funny show.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Steve Byczek
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 05:02:31 PM »

Mofo Rising. I sure do remember "You Can't Do That on Television"!  A lot of other people do two.

Click on this:

http://www.ycdtotv.de/

Sincerely,Steve.
ToyMan
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:08:07 PM »

iggy pop wasn't on "ycdtotv", as far as i know. he was nona's dad on "the adventures of pete and pete", though.
odinn7

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:10:32 PM »

OK, try this one on...
Probably in the early 70's my father and older sister were watching a movie on tv and I believe it was about some killers but I really only recall 2 things about it and I was made to go to bed. I have questioned my sister about this before and she looks at me like I'm a freak. This was when my memory was a mess so it's entirely possible that none of this is real. Anyway...
There was one scene where some freaky lady was hanging all over this fat guy and she kept saying over and over: "Let me see your bosom."  I suspect he was getting ready to be killed. It was almost a dream like scene, as if he was supposed to be drugged or something. The other thing I remember is that there was some guy who had prized dogs (poodles, perhaps?) and these people got a hold of these dogs and ground them up and killed the guy by jamming them into his throat using a funnel in his mouth.
Now, anyone I've mentioned this to thinks I'm strange, so you tell me...what the hell kind of memory of a show is this? Is it even real? I'm a freak.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Susan
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 09:46:45 PM »

I have tv episodes of unknown shows I will never forget, i'm sure it was a tv show in color where the episode had something to do with a man realizing that some egg or something was put in his ear. the host seemed well to do, i can't remember the story at all except the explanation that this thing would live in his ear and basically eat his brain..lol Maybe "Night gallery" I also have a memory of a black and white tv show and a woman walking into a room to see a giant spider (by giant i mean giant)

I used to watch YCDTOT also. That was back in the day, wasn't there a girl on there called moose or something? I remember people getting slimed, i wasn't a huge fan tho. I used to also watch "not necessarily the news" which i loved. Here's a show i know existed but nobody else saw "Eat Bulega", i lived in the philippines and it was a game show we snidely referred to as "eat boogars" where lucky contestants won prizes like bags of rice, mattresses and fans.

Also I hate to mention it but "Voyagers", i've never met one person in my actual real life who has ever heard of this show. I don't know why i find that strange, i was obsessed with it and never missed an episode even tho it was not on for maybe more than a season or two. I hated the kid, but i had an infatuation with john erik hexum ;-)  Plus i like time travel shows

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 12:40:05 AM »

I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to say I didn't think YOU CAN'T DO THAT ON TELEVISION.  That show I remember, as do most of the people around my age.  The particular episode I described though, with the house and the aliens nobody seems to remember.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Dr. Kobb
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 01:09:19 AM »

Odinn7,
I can say with something amounting to terrifc glee that the show you're thinking of with the fellow(Robert Morley) being forcefed his own pet poodles is none other than the wickedly wondrous "Theatre of Blood" with Vincent Price and Dianna Rig!
The 'terrific glee' aspect comes from having just recently revisited that same sick lil' gem after some 20 years or so.  It's semi-similar to the "Dr. Phibes" movies that Price did around that time, and equally great!
Master Blaster
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 02:29:00 AM »

Actually I'm wrong, sorry. Iggy Pop was on a Nickelodeon show called "The Adventures of Pete and Pete"
Steve Byczek
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 05:26:37 AM »

odinn...There is a scene in the Vincent Price movie:"Theater of Blood" where Vinnie grinds up a man's pet poodles and forces him to eat the dog meat. I can't recall if he uses a funnel or not. The plot revolves around Vinnie being a Shakespearean actor who got bad reviews on his plays. So what does Vinnie do? He bumps off the critics who gave him the bad reviews. One of the critics is a dog lover.....Vinnie kills the dogs and forces the guy to eat them.

Could this be the thing you saw on TV way back when? I think this movie came out in 1973. Maybe it first came to TV a few years later?

Sincerely,Steve Byczek
Steve Byczek
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 05:40:55 AM »

It can be very frustruating remembering a movie or TV show and your relatives and friends have no idea what you're talking about. Check out a post I did last week:

Hi friends. Here are some weird television memories I want to share with you. I am posting the first one for a friend who does not own a computer. He wants to know if anybody recalls a movie shown on CBS in the mid 70's. He cannot recall the title of the movie, or who starred in it, or who directed it. It may have been a made for t.v. movie,a made for t.v.special,or a pilot for a new t.v. show that never made it as a weekly series. The plot revolved around an incredibly ugly princess who was going to inherit her father's (the king's) fortune as soon as he died. However,the rules and regulations in their kingdom dictated she had to be married in order to inherit her father's money. Her relatives were scrambling around trying to find a husband for her but no guy wanted to date her because she was referred to as the "Ugliest Woman in the World". He cannot recall if it was a comedy or a drama,but the trailer was shown while he was watching "Captain Kangaroo" one weekday morning,and it creeped him out. He thinks they may have even had a parental warning during the commercial urging adults to not let their children watch the movie because of her incredibly ugy face. Does anyone recall this television event? No...it was not "The Girl Most Likely To" starring Stockard Channing. That was a made for t.v. movie made in 1973,and his movie probably came out in 1975 or 1976. My strange film was a pilot for a t.v. program shown in the summer of 1984. I think it was called "Wishman" and it involved a little boy who witnessed a flying saucer crash in his backyard. The pilot of the spaceship turned out to be a small alien creature with an incredibly ugly face. The little boy became friends with the alien but always placed a paper bag over the creatures face. The bag was not removed until the final scene in the program. I remember the t.v. network hyping up the pilot episode during the trailers by placing a square box over the image of the alien's face. Obviously this was a marketing gimmick to get people to watch the episode. This thing never made it as a weekly series as well,and no it was not "E.T." or "Mac and Me." Please let me know if anybody recalls either or of these two very strange television events. Thank you! Sincerely,Steve.

I never got a response so I must be the only guy in the universe who remembers this weird show. Oh well! LOL!

Sincerely,Steve Byczek

All original content is © 1998 - 2005 by its respective author, usually Andrew Borntreger. Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law and are property of the film copyright owners. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bizarre shows you saw as a kid. . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.