Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:39:21 PM
714494 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Code 46 (2003) - Some spoilers. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Code 46 (2003) - Some spoilers.  (Read 882 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 23, 2005, 05:51:35 AM »

A wonderful film. "Code 46" is a sci-fi movie in the lines of "Farenheit 451" or "1984" directed by english filmmaker Michael Winterbottom. It stars Tim Robbins, as a state inspector who investigates fake permissions, and Samantha Morton, as the main suspect of his investigation. They soon fall in love, but they also discober that they have not only to face common obstacles (Robbins' character is not only married, but also lives in another country), but state restrictions, because although they are not stricktly related, cloning is so widespread that they share some DNA and their union is considered incest under future laws.

While the story itself is nothing new (both "1984" and "THX 1138" come to mind almost inmediately), Winterbottom wisely focuses in the romence between Robbins and Morton. In all senses. The romance itself, the subjective feelings of each character, becomes as well the axis of Winterbottom's camerawork, which abounds in subjective POVs, erratic rythms and moody music. The result, although sometimes uneven paced, is a joy to watch and feel. It feels quite a lot like Soderbergh's remake of "Solaris", although Winterbottom is less manieristic and pedantic in his style. It is a film that seems to have been made more with the senses than with the brain, if you know what I mean.

And the funny thing is that it doesn't feel empty in the ideas department, as I feared. The film presents a ruthless state whose main goal is to make people happy, even  if that means controlling every aspect of their lives, destiny included. Violence is absent, and it can be argued that the state's doings are not ill-intentioned not specially harmful, but the individuals are prevented of their most basic freedoms, the freedom to pursuit happiness and the following of their free wills.

The depiction of tis near future is also brilliant. Exagerating the present day differences between first and third world, the migratory movement controls and the dependency to technology, this brave new world is divided between those who enjoy a first class status and live tightly controlled, and those who live in a more free environment, at the expense of having to fight for merely surviving.

Add to this that some of the ideas exposed are nothing short of brilliant, such as the wonderful mixture of languages people speak, the gadgets that look so real (and usable), plus some of the situations that appear now and then, such as Morton's behaviour after being "re-educated", or Robins suffering the same limitations he blindly impossed on others reveal that the writers have done their homework and read both Ray Bradbury and Philip K. Dick. If only others had bothered to do the same...

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Kory
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 12:58:22 AM »

I saw this a few months ago.  My husband & I were both a little undecided at first about wheter or not we liked it.   I decided that I DID like it & he decided that he didn't.  

The special effects were very good and the story and futuristic details were extremely inventive.

I would have to recommend it.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 06:56:41 AM »

I rented this one a few weeks back but never got around to watching it and eventually returned it.

Maybe I'll rent it again and give it a chance.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Code 46 (2003) - Some spoilers. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.