Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:48:26 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nightmare City (1980) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Nightmare City (1980)  (Read 15763 times)
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »

This movie is fantastic! I loved when he threw a tv at the zombie causing both the zombie and television to explode. Tarantino discusses his admiration in this funny clip
Small | Large
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »

I loaned my copy of this DVD to a co-worker recently - he LOVED it!! I've loaned him quite a few of my oldies but baddies over the past year or two (he's in his early 20s so I'm trying to school him in the classics)... we quote bits from it to each other all the time at work now.  TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

I posted this on in the 100 Foreign Horrors thread. I like this film. off the wall and demented with extra euro-cheese. the tv dancing show massacre bit is great

It's worth pointing out that the version called CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD was heavily edited. 'NIGHTMARE CITY' is the one to get

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
voltron

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »

Years ago my girlfriend and I rented City Of The Walking Dead on VHS. We popped it in, and when the "zombies" jumped out of the plane yeilding weapons and running we both groaned in disbelief. Then the tape got eaten, which wasn't a big letdown at the time. I've since gotten the Nightmare City DVD on a whim and it is now officially on of my fave nutty Italian gore flicks. Amazing! I'm also a big Lenzi fan because of it.  Smile

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 06:18:10 AM »

It's worth pointing out that the version called CITY OF THE WALKING DEAD was heavily edited. 'NIGHTMARE CITY' is the one to get

That is the cut that I originally saw on VHS years ago.  I really disliked it quite a bit.

Funny that fulchi420 mentioned Tarantino's love for the film.  In Inglorious Basterds, Til Schweiger played "Hugo Stiglitz".  That just happens to be the name of the actor who was the lead in Nightmare City!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »

I love this film. I just caught a 35mm screening during an Italian Splatterfest marathon that was running at the Colonial Theatre (where they shot the Blob) in PA.
zeronx
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 12:30:04 PM »

Watched this thanks to this thread. Was fun  Smile
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »

How much was cut from the "City of the Walking Dead" version? Cuz that's the one I have and it certainly seems to have plenty of blood N gore (eyeball gouging, breast mutilation, heads exploding, etc.)...so what am I missing??

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »

don't actually know fatfred, I am just going by various sources I've read., including IMDB and elsewhere. One thing I hate is cut versions of films that don't say they're cut (VIPCO being the masters of this) so I was just repeating what I'd read, but no I don't actually know...if it's got the eyeball scene etc then perhaps it isn't cut

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »

I do recall the eyeball scene in the Walking Dead version.  I don't quite remember it being as long as the scene is in the Nightmare City version. I could absolutely be wrong as I originally saw it on VHS over a decade ago. I really regret not giving this one a fair shake the first time around.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »

don't actually know fatfred, I am just going by various sources I've read., including IMDB and elsewhere. One thing I hate is cut versions of films that don't say they're cut (VIPCO being the masters of this) so I was just repeating what I'd read, but no I don't actually know...if it's got the eyeball scene etc then perhaps it isn't cut

I do recall the eyeball scene in the Walking Dead version.  I don't quite remember it being as long as the scene is in the Nightmare City version. I could absolutely be wrong as I originally saw it on VHS over a decade ago. I really regret not giving this one a fair shake the first time around.

Interesting. There are probably so many different versions of that flick floating around, each with their own sets of "cuts" for various countries/territories, so Lord only knows, I guess.

I did find this site which compares the cuts in the UK VHS version of "Nightmare City" versus the uncut Anchor Bay US DVD:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=750284

I haven't watched the film in a while myself, but I'm almost 100 percent sure that all of the "cut" scenes shown here are in the "City of the Walking Dead" DVD that I own.

Either way, the DVD I have (a dollar store double feature b/w "Creepers," aka the American cut of Argento's "Phenomena") is pretty crap quality (scratchy, dark, colors are washed out, etc.) so I'd like to upgrade it to a better version somewhere down the road anyway. Though I have to say, watching that crappy version actually enhances the "grindhouse" vibe of the film. :D

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »

Never fails to amaze me how much the UK cut some releases back in the day. Was this one on the Video Nasties list? Would certainly explain just why there are so many cuts and versions of it.

You all have me dying to break out my copy soon.  My Anchor Bay set this came in had some great films. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Dead Heat, and another eurotrash zombie flick the name of which escapes me. I recall it ripping off a lot of the costumes and music from Dawn of the Dead...need to give them all a watch soon.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »

You all have me dying to break out my copy soon.

Yup, me too!!! TeddyR

Pilgermann

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 11:25:30 PM »

This movie has gone off and on my radar for a while, but this thread is making me reeeeally want to see it.

major jay

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »

Amazing! I'm also a big Lenzi fan because of it.  Smile

Me too. Though I've only seen a few of his other titles (the man directed 65 films!)
If you haven't already, check out ALMOST HUMAN. It's a very entertaining low-rent greasy crime flick. It's worth seeking out.

I love this film. I just caught a 35mm screening during an Italian Splatterfest marathon that was running at the Colonial Theatre (where they shot the Blob) in PA.

I'm truly envious of you.
Was the crowd having a laugh at it?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 09:39:48 AM by major jay » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Nightmare City (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.