Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:58:10 AM
714502 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pearl Harbor errors website. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pearl Harbor errors website.  (Read 5210 times)
Chadzilla
« on: December 12, 2001, 06:31:48 PM »

A guy I work with wants to know if there is a particular website that lists all the things that Pearl Harbor got wrong.  Only body know of any?
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2001, 07:00:43 PM »

Boy I'd like to know that myself
Jay O\'Connor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2001, 07:02:22 PM »

Try here

Pearl Harbor: Bombed Again
Andrew
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2001, 07:07:59 PM »

The IMDB has a section for goofs.  Between the comments, goofs, and trivia, you can usually find something of interest.

The IMDB Entry

Andrew
Lee
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2001, 08:13:17 PM »

How about the fact that nothing even closes to interesting happens for TWO FREAKING HOURS!!!
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2001, 08:39:19 PM »

Strangely, considering the movie is two-plus hours of screw-ups and lies and goofs and gaffes and palin old shoveled-on-thick horses**t, the IMDb "goofs" page for Pearl Harbor is empty, save for three entries based on an unfinished preview print.

Perhaps there is simply too much for IMDb participants to gather all at once. My favorite: Admiral Yamamoto's "sleeping giant" line has now become psuedohistory. The line wasn't uttered until 1970, with Yamamoto long dead--in the other Pearl Harbor movie, Tora! Tora! Tora!.
Squishy
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2001, 08:40:38 PM »

"Plain old shoveled-on-thick," not "palin." No offense to Monty Python.
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2001, 09:43:10 AM »

Recently, my mon rented PEARL HARBOR on DVD becasue her neighbour friend said it was a good movie. Well after going over the three hours of boredom like me and my friend did when we saw it in the theatre the only question my mom asked at the very end of the movie was, "I don't get it, why did the Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor?" That question just goes to show that their is no history lesson in PEARL HARBOR whatsoever and I had to explain the whole reason why they bombed Pearl Harbor (Thank God for giving us history books). That and why call the film PEARL HARBOR when it's 2 and a half hours of BORING romance and only 30 to 45 minutes of the bombing at the near end (same question for Mel Gibson's THE PATRIOT when his character is after the British for revenge, NOT PATRIOTISM)

The ending was also very snubby. The end narration suggest that "We Americans did it all" to win the war. Where is the credit to the British, French, Russian, and Japanese-American's who also busted their asses to win the war for us as well? God Michael Bay, give credit where credit is due!

PEARL HARBOR is a pure example that Hollywood has always gotten an F on their history tests and that the amount of $300 million in special effects will save the movie. I think not!

Read the history books that really tell the truth and see TORA! TORA! TORA! instead.
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2001, 11:38:35 AM »

I caught the History channel show "History Vs. Hollywood" last night. On "A Bridge Too Far", The concensus was, the film makers tried to get it right, including True Storys and events....and the critics all  said."OH, that could never happen!". Dammed if ya do.... I've not seen pearl Harbor yet, and i have a bad feeling about it, from all i've seen and read, including the book about the makeing of the flick. It burns my butt when they screw with history, espchualy when participents are still alive to render a verdict. My dad was a Navy prop mech. at a NAS in Sitka, alaska, then This means something to me! Veterans have a low bulls**t factor, and combat vets even more so. If i get the DVD of this thing, i'm watching the attack sequance....if anything...and leaving the rest to fester in the dark of the Public Library DVD bin. Hope it don't contaminate better films like "Battleground" and " The big red one."
JAMES900
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2001, 11:39:08 AM »

www.slipups.com ain't bad
The Bard
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2001, 09:26:09 PM »

All I have to say is that I wouldn't touch Pearl Harbor with a 10 foot stick. I managed to catch some Tora Tora Tora on History channell at like 2 in the morning and it kept me up till around 4. Its normally impossible for me to stay up past 10,let alone that late.
Neville
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2001, 06:56:38 AM »

I don't really care care about Pearl Harbour being historically inadequate. After all, this is what you can expect from any hollywood movie (see "Gladiator" for instance: it is as inacurate as this one, but it si still a good movie), but I really hated this movie: terrible direction (can't believe Bay is still on the job), wooden acting and one of the silliest scripts I have ever seen, plus lots of cheap patriotism
(note: I agree with one of the previous posts: Hollywood often mistakes revenge instinct with patriotism) to conceal the holes everywhere.

Oh, and I saw lots of mistakes, but true ones, such as when Ben Affleck's character falls to the water: he falls to the sea during daylight but comes to surface after night. A similar mistake appeared in Bay's "Bad boys". I guess some people never learn.

P.D. How curious that the film glorifies revenge, but does not dare to speak about
the atomic bombing over civilians in Hiroshima or Nagasaki, or lies openly when the president says that they are a country of fridge-manufacturers. In fact, one of the ways the U.S. recovered its status after the great depression was selling arms to Europe.
Chris K.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2001, 12:04:00 PM »

Neville wrote:
> P.D. How curious that the film glorifies revenge, but does
> not dare to speak about
> the atomic bombing over civilians in Hiroshima or Nagasaki,
> or lies openly when the president says that they are a
> country of fridge-manufacturers. In fact, one of the ways the
> U.S. recovered its status after the great depression was
> selling arms to Europe.

Now my answer to this question will be a bit hazy, but keep in mind that I am being open about this. This is hard for me to say this, but I have to. America is critical and even hypocritical towards certain events and histories. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying bad things about the good ole' US of A. But lets take a look at Neville's question.

The atomic bombings of both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were done to end the war becasue the Japanese would not give up and surrender. But what's lost about this fact is that innocent civilians were killed to end a war. Even though their was reason for it, to me THAT IS AN ACT OF COWARDICE THAT'S WORSE THEN WHAT THE JAPANESE DID TO PEARL HARBOR. The use of a weapon that did horrible devistation and that NOBODY knew the concequences or the side effect of the whole event is more wrong than right. And we say the Japanese deserved it! While some might say that, I think it's best to say that "Two wrongs doesn't make a right". Maybe the Japanese soldiers deserved to suffer like that, but innocent civilians! That is not an act of justice at all.

And some might say "They did not give up" is more likely an understatement. Imagine if the United States was in the same position as the Japanese, WOULD WE give up? I would think not. After the September 11th incident, did we surrender and give up? NO!

People have been comparing Pear Harbor to the World Trade Center attack too much. The comparison of World Trade Center that fits better is the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. Or both fit well into the perspective.

I said it before and I will say it again, their is no good guy or bad guy when it comes to war (this does vary, though). Imagine a turntable with an American sitting on the good side and the enemy sitting on the bad side. Turn the table around and you have the American sitting on the bad side and the enemy sitting on the good side. As this goes on back and fourth the point of war ceases to make us wonder "What is this war all about". Not a great example, but it fits the bill.

Sometimes we are hypocritical of war history and we always pin ourselves as "Good Guys". That is not always true. We do have good fighters, but so do other countries. And we have held grudges against others becasue of their war history (i.e. Japan, Germany, Italy, etc.). But we do not realize that our war history has made vital mistakes (in my own opinion, the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings are one) and we must keep it im mind so we don't have that incident happen again. Even though USA has won some wars, victory is slim for us becasue we have the same results as the loosing team and that is death, violence, and destruction. And that is something that nobody wants.

If you feel free to correct me on any points or observations on my emotional statement, please do.
Neville
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2001, 12:20:36 PM »

Believe it or not, I agree with everything you said here. If I wasn't too specific it was because this is not a politics' forum, and I wanted to separate reality and fiction for sanity's sake. Talking about this movie in particular, what angers me is that these people not only hipocriticaly rewrote history to fit their desires ignoring
one of the most terrible events in modern history, but that they did it just to get more tickets sold in the 4th of July.
Neville
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2001, 12:30:08 PM »

You have been quite brave speaking like that, specially considering the present circumstances, and I really appreciate it, but don't be afraid to speak up. Self-criticism hasn't destroyed any country yet, and one of the things that anybody should accept is that there is no country  in this world with a clean counciosness.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Pearl Harbor errors website. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.