Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:43:26 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Road Warrior « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Road Warrior  (Read 7111 times)
Susan
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 07:41:48 PM »

Ok now i'm getting a mental picture of all you kids crashing your toy cars together and making noises like "Pichhhhhhh! Vroooom...brrrrrrrrcchhkkkk!" and then when Road Warrior came out it was basically the same thing only people die and there's lots of grunting. I noticed there's little dialogue in this movie, opposed to the typical "chick flick", yeah someone dies in our films but dammit we gotta cry about it

Menard
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 08:51:31 PM »

Dialogue gets in the way of the important parts of movies. (:

odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 09:52:08 PM »

Susan wrote:

> Ok now i'm getting a mental picture of all you kids crashing
> your toy cars together and making noises like "Pichhhhhhh!
> Vroooom...brrrrrrrrcchhkkkk!" and then when Road Warrior came
> out it was basically the same thing only people die and there's
> lots of grunting. I noticed there's little dialogue in this
> movie, opposed to the typical "chick flick", yeah someone dies
> in our films but dammit we gotta cry about it
>

Ahhh, now you understand. Don't forget also, I believe I neglected to mention it, there's real cool car chases too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Zapranoth
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 11:06:29 PM »

Yeah.  Car chases.   Hee.  Hee.  Hee.

And then there's the coolest part... Heh!  Heh!

When that guy... hehe... tries to catch that, you know, RAZOR boomerang...?   hehe..  and he, like, loses all his FINGERS?

Heh heh.... heh heh.

That was, like, REALLY cool.  Hee hee.  Heh.  Heh.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 01:00:06 AM »

And don't forget the sawed off double barreled shot gun! Or the black leather! Yeahh.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
odinn7

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 07:10:31 AM »

...And the way cool car chases too!

raj

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 08:27:41 AM »

Yeah, in Road Warrior, when someone dies, we get to say "cool".
Plus, there are car chases.
And we make other noises with our toy cars, like "errrrrrrrrr" and "skreeeeeeetch"
Zapranoth
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 08:45:53 AM »

And then there's the part where he eats the dog food!

That reminds us all so fondly of us making our *little sisters* eat dog food, and that's another part of the movie we love.
dean

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 09:26:38 AM »

Don't even get me started on the sequals.  Despite Tina Turner and the movie as a whole being somewhat wacky, Thunderdome was one of my favourite violent movies when I was a kid.

That cage fight was great.

There's something about people going nuts in a post-apocalyptic landscape which really makes you feel all fuzzy and warm inside.  That's one of the only reasons why I still think that Waterworld is crap, but underrated.  Post apocalyptic violence is always so much fun.

That and post-apocalyptic car violence.   Hehe, fun...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Master Blaster
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 12:06:16 PM »

I think when it comes down to it Road Warrior really isnt a bad movie. It's deffinately a testosterone flinging movie, but not as low brow as other typical guy movies like Commando or Bloodsport. I think that might be one reason it's remained popular for so many years. There's a mildly sophisticated redemtion story behind it along with science fiction and fantasy. If anything Road Warrior was  original.
Susan
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005, 05:26:24 PM »

Post-apocalyptic Dukes of Hazzard anyone? ;-)

Chris
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 06:01:40 PM »

And a great exploitation flick too: all the 'things-we-take-for granted' symbolism put in out of context (beside the obvious ones: the gyro captain eulogizing/reminiscing about treasured meterial posessions abundant before the apocalypse). To be fair, Thunderdome used these familiar/unfamiliar reference methods to good effect as well.

What first struck me about the film was the abundance of old bangers.......where do all the worlds' cars go when there's little fuel and even fewer people to run them? Before Mad Max 2 I was used to 'clean' Blade Runner-like depictions of the future. Here, Miller presents a strange fusion of the primative and the new...guns are rare and prized, crossbows are widely used (as well as strange compressed air weapons), and this is one of the clearest (if not the most factual) representations of a world coming to grips with the aftermath of a nuclear conflict..definately a product of the eighties.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2005, 09:35:59 AM »

I liked for a lot of the reasons mentioned (including Virginia Hey), plus it also seemed like a clever updating or variation on westerns. The loner hero (with loyal dog and trusty "steed"), the isolated outpost filled with people who need him but don't trust him, the wild band of marauding savages, the comic relief who's more talk than action. It's a siege picture in the vein of "Rio Bravo" or even "Hombre". I mean you even have the noble hero making a sacrifice or taking on a burden he doesn't have to for the good of what passes for civilization and decency, the modern twist being that his mission is just a distraction to draw the Humugous' gang away.

Plus I thought it was clever that since guns are preciuos and valuable in their world they are rarely used until the end (ammo being in short supply or defective), and often ineffective or of limited use when they finally are, the shotgun taking so long to reload for example. Sending the feral kid for the shells on the hood during the chase being a favorite scene of mine. You know what's going to happen but the tension builds every time I watch it.
odinn7

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2005, 09:38:34 AM »

Kennedy and Miller had also likened the story to a western for the reasons you mentioned Yaddo. Nice pick up.

BloodyCider
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2005, 12:03:40 AM »

My only problem with this otherwise inspirational movie is that they didn't have more scenes with that "Samurai" character...
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Road Warrior « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.